Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Parents refuse to care for toddler

by KrisLW35

Original Post

★★ Guide
@VintageNHC As I play more with toddlers, I’m coming across this issue more often than I’d like to see. I queue up actions for the toddler - with parent or just the toddler itself, they don’t do what I say. It is frustrating to need to pay attention if they complete the action or not. This makes micro managing incredibly difficult and rather an unpleasant journey.
Message 11 of 34 (2,083 Views)

★ Guide

Also facing this. It's like pulling teeth to get anything done with toddlers.. Want them to eat? Well you better pull out a 5-hour timewindow. Bath? Same story? Potty training? We just cancel that midway. With everything taking THIS long to get done, how are we supposed to get the toddler skills up, or work on character values? Its extremely frustrating - and while I know real life toddlers also can be like pulling teeth, it's not anywhere near THIS bad. Yes, I have two of them. 

Message 12 of 34 (2,052 Views)

★★ Novice

I am also experiencing this issue, now specifically after installing the 5 year anniversary update, and Realm of Magic. (PC) I am not sure which pack/update is causing it as I did not have time to play between the two releases.

I am currently on the 3rd generation of this family when it started:
- Two sims (I'll say "A", top level celebrity, and now a spellcaster, and "B", normal sim) adopted a baby, "C", and raised the baby no problem. No issues during baby or toddler stage. That C sim is now an adult. (Regular sim, one star celebrity.)
- Installed the 5-year anniversary update, and Realm of Magic.
- C sim got married to "D" (vampire), and had a baby, "E" (also a vampire).
- A and B generally ignore baby E. The parents, C and D, simply will not do anything I ask them to in regards to caring for E. Interactions will queue, but they just don't run. If they do run, my sims do other random nonsense. If I leave them to run autonomously, C and D just fight over E in that all they do is take turns picking up E and putting her back down.

A couple of examples I remember: Parent C and toddler E were upstairs in a room with a high chair. I told C to feed E. She picked up E, takes her downstairs for some reason and puts her down, then picks up a bowl of food, takes it back upstairs and put its on the high chair, then comes back downstairs, picks up toddler E, and takes her outside. Interaction then drops from queue. 

Parents C and D decided they both needed to bathe toddler E at the same time. C carries E into the bathroom and puts her down. D then comes into the bathroom, picks up E, takes her a different bathroom to do the same thing. D puts her down and the interaction drops out of the queue. 

Another time, toddler E was sitting on the ground between the high chair and the potty. C comes in to feed her at the same time D tries to potty train her. They just take turns picking her up and setting her back down for several sim hours, accomplishing nothing.

Every time that her needs got low enough to need parental care, I ended up having to cheat her needs back to full because all of the adult sims are simply running amok. 

Message 13 of 34 (2,029 Views)

★ Novice

Can you guys try to disable the mods and cc, restart the game and try to do the actions once there is no mode or cc activated ?

I just did that and it works.

I believe one of the recent cc I got is causing trouble or something so now I'm trying to figured out which one... 

I had issues with doing anything for the toddler : give bath, change diapers, teaching stack with the cubes.. nothing would work !

I try moving out, moving back, do the actions with a non cc and didn't work. So I disable all the mods and cc. Restart and the actions works, I could finally give a bath to the toddler ! Then I re-activated the cc and mods and the bug start again.

Please let me know if it works for you too so we can share the cc we recently got and try to find the buggy one quicker.

Message 14 of 34 (2,013 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My game is having the same issue my sim give my toddler a bath but wont put my toddler to bed or bathe my toddler.

Message 15 of 34 (1,929 Views)

Hero
@Molsbee2012 They don't do it on their own or the interaction fails when you try ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 34 (1,904 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've had it several times where I select "Give Food" on a toddler, the adult asks the toddler if they want food, the toddler appears to agree, and then they just sit there. The action to put the toddler into the high chair never queues up. I can do it over and over and same thing. I normally fix it by having the toddler ask for food instead, then the adult will put them in a high chair and give them food. Sometimes it works fine though.

Message 17 of 34 (1,843 Views)

toddlers buggin'

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.69.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? vamp, magic, celeb, go to work, strangeville
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? i have a full house of 8 sims, 4 toddlers 4 adults.
What happens when the bug occurs? toddlers needs cant be met
What do you expect to see? interactions failing, duplicating, being done in bizarre orders
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I am having so many issues ONLY with interacting with toddlers (babies and kids are fine) it has been beyond frustrating.

My game is already slow and I've deleted as many household objects as I can as well as downgraded to a much smaller house. I'm having lots of glitches when it comes to interacting with toddlers and I'm always in a race against the child protective services as it takes hours for any interaction to finally go through.

First of all my vampire and witch sims teleport to the bed, potty, or high chair FIRST , then walk ALL the way back down to the toddler to bring the toddler back up with them.

Sometimes they don't even end up grabbing the toddler because by then a bunch of other sims are trying to also interact with the toddler. ( None of the interactions are ever addressing the toddlers immediate needs and it's always something like "talk" or "play" how about feed or bathe for once?)

My sims suck at taking care of their children, yet they all magically start queing actions when I already have one of my sims trying to take care of the need (potty training, feeding, putting to sleep)

Interactions sometimes don't go through at all and get taken out of the queue. Sometimes actions CAN'T be taken out of the queue and keep duplicating automatically.

I try to get my vampire sim to grab a place of food to place in his inventory to then feed to his kid, but for some reason he will start eating the food (my other sims wont ) despite him having the trait that makes him sick from human food.

Also forgot to add...

My sims will put down the toddler walk out of the room, go sit down wherever they can, and "talk" to the toddler from there... after the toddler is already in their hands...just to ask them to go to the potty or to be fed etc.

Also when one sim puts the toddler in the high chair to feed the toddler...another sim comes by and takes the kid out and puts them down immediately. so I'm stuck there trying to get rid of other sims just so one sim can feed the toddler. 

Message 18 of 34 (1,897 Views)

Re: toddlers buggin'

Hero
@vivienhjames Seems like you're posting a collection of things.

Could you maybe add a video of what your seeing ?

This one seems the closest to what you're describing: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Parents-refuse-to-care-for-toddler/m-p/8030961 or for the high chair this one: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-Toddler-keeps-asking-food-too-often-and-in-high-chair-t...

Could you also please enter your game version ?

Here's instructions: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/8775353#M124496

Also try if repairing the game helps

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 19 of 34 (1,842 Views)

Re: toddlers buggin'

★★★ Novice

Hello! YES!! I read the posts under "parent refuse to care for toddler"

and I am finding many many many similarities with my issues.

Particularly this one nails it for me:

" A and B generally ignore baby E. The parents, C and D, simply will not do anything I ask them to in regards to caring for E. Interactions will queue, but they just don't run. If they do run, my sims do other random nonsense. If I leave them to run autonomously, C and D just fight over E in that all they do is take turns picking up E and putting her back down.

A couple of examples I remember: Parent C and toddler E were upstairs in a room with a high chair. I told C to feed E. She picked up E, takes her downstairs for some reason and puts her down, then picks up a bowl of food, takes it back upstairs and put its on the high chair, then comes back downstairs, picks up toddler E, and takes her outside. Interaction then drops from queue. 

Parents C and D decided they both needed to bathe toddler E at the same time. C carries E into the bathroom and puts her down. D then comes into the bathroom, picks up E, takes her a different bathroom to do the same thing. D puts her down and the interaction drops out of the queue. 

Another time, toddler E was sitting on the ground between the high chair and the potty. C comes in to feed her at the same time D tries to potty train her. They just take turns picking her up and setting her back down for several sim hours, accomplishing nothing.

Every time that her needs got low enough to need parental care, I ended up having to cheat her needs back to full because all of the adult sims are simply running amok. "

posted by user KRISLW34

For a temporary solution, I have resorted to having toddlers care for themselves, and having my magical sim perform "delicioso" to create a plate of food next to my toddlers bed when they wake up. 

I'll try to get some video

My game version is 1.62.69.1220

Message 20 of 34 (1,801 Views)