[FIXED] Negative Sentiment Applied Without Reason

by essie1003

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Negative Sentiment Applied Without Reason

Champion

@MisplacedMel Yes!  I too started having the toddlers ask for everything possible.  The fussy toddlers get a nice "got my way" moodlet from that, which is nice.  It might sound crazy but I actually miss some of the defiance interactions.  As annoying as they were, the short term negative effects made the game more realistic and those kids are kinda cute when they're mad lol  I also miss the positive moodlets that came from comforting and calming them.  However, I think it's worth sacrificing that to avoid these dumb long term sentiments that are just plain outrageous.  I hope the developers are working on a resolution to the severe negative impact of sentiments, especially for toddlers.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 31 of 56 (1,868 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

negative sentiments are applied to sims when toddlers are sad or angry, this is the trigger.  They don't last long.

Edit:  Or low relationship. or negative relationship.

Here is some triggers of the hurt sentiment:

Parents going to work toddler sad because parent went to work.

Winter toddler is sad because its cold outside.

Thunderstorm/snowstorm. toddler is sad because of thunder/snowstorm.

Blizzard toddler is sad because of blizzard.

I hope this helps. 

Message 32 of 56 (1,856 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Could anyone experiencing this issue possibly share a save file with me where it's occurring? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much for the help!

Instructions for sending me your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 33 of 56 (1,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@SimGuruNick Thank you!  I just sent you the link to my most recent save on Google Drive.  In my DM to you, I said that I understand why the sentiment was applied, meaning I understand how the game's algorithm assigned the sentiment.  The reason I think it is assigned "without reason" is that toddlers should not be gaining these negative sentiments, especially when they're caused by things like comforting and/or toddler care in general.  What's even more frustrating is that my toddler sims gain the negative sentiments relatively easy but do not gain positive sentiments at all.  I typically have the parents interacting with their toddlers almost constantly; playing, flash cards, etc.  They have not gained a positive sentiment even once since the sentiments were introduced.  Thanks again for investigating this issue!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 34 of 56 (1,757 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

One of my sims has the try for baby whim with her husband and now I'm thinking twice because of these issues, so I hope there'll be a quick solution for this.  I've been waiting so long for this whim to trigger and now I have to leave it.  Having said that, I guess I can code my way out of it, but surely this shouldn't happen to toddlers and parents. Feeling tearful as I type.  (I know it's a game, but really it's helped me through lockdown and many other issues and I go to the game for some solace). Thanks if you can help us @SimGuruNick Standard smile

Message 35 of 56 (1,702 Views)

★ Guide

I sent you the save file with the first toddler that had this happen to me. I have another save, as well. The problem I'm having is that she went from hurt when her dad firmly disciplined her to deeply wounded after he'd had no further negative interactions.

Message 36 of 56 (1,688 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Sid1701d9 I turned weather off for Seasons, my sims are celebrities so can afford to quit their jobs to look after a child and I always give my babies the Angelic trait. They're so much easier to look after. A few have made a mess with paint, but we hugged it out over making a mess and they were fine, no bad sentiments and never threw paint again. I always keep them as newborns until I have a full green friendship bar, so that they can age up with a good relationship with each parent. It involves a lot of interactions from each parent, but it is do-able. Hope this helps. However I still think that the sentiments should not apply to toddlers or children as they all have different traits and life isn't easy bringing up a child, angelic or not!
Message 37 of 56 (1,674 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Negative Sentiment Applied Without Reason

★★★★ Expert

This happened to me, too, with a mother and a toddler in a micro home.  Good times!  Wink  I have no idea what happened to prompt it. 

Luckily, the double positive moodlet duration usually "covered up" any negative moods the sentiment caused, and she eventually grew out of it.  I just had her mother interact positively with her as normal and ignored it.  Sigh. 

Message 38 of 56 (1,651 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@xochiquetzl_xkvn @SimGuruNick So my sims had twins, parents with all good traits, family orientated, cheerful, good, compassionate... you name it. My sims wouldn't even interact with the child. they kept cancelling the action and so one of the twins got the Hurt sentiment. He couldn't figure out why his Dad had been so mean to him.... You've never seen kids aged up so fast! Im sorry I had to cheat, but it was getting ridiculous. I couldn't even get the twins to play on the Jungle gym and monkey bars. I don't know what's going on, but it's ruining my gameplay. So from new born babies to adults within 3 sim days and luckily the first to try his hand in acting has been nominated. No thanks to the parents. They have no interest whatsoever! Also got them on the DJ decks and they did well, yet again, nobody went to the deck by themselves in my club, it's me running the whole show. (I know that's a bit of a necro post, but all part of the 3 sims days on kids I've just experienced!) *shakes head*
Message 39 of 56 (1,613 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Gednaa Oy.  Frown

Yeah, my Sim parent (single mom) was/is Good, Cheerful, and Family-Oriented.  I had some trouble getting the toddler to do flash cards with her mom because HURT for no reason and being around mom made her SAD or ANGRY, but toddlers take like two or three days to max all skills in a micro home.  Maybe four if interacting with their parent in any way makes them SAD AND ANGRY so they can't learn to talk or use the potty without taking a skill hit from the negative moodlets, or if being in a 32 tile space with a person makes them SAD AND ANGRY without even interacting with them. 

As soon as she was a child I put mother and child in a club and bought strongest camaraderie, so there was a +3 Happy, and left the club on 24x7 to "cover up" any sad or angry.  Camaraderie +3 Happy + Micro Home Feelin' Fine All the Time ended up piling on a bunch of green happy moodlets (tasty food! comforting night light!), which meant that the only effect the sentiment had was a little red or blue sliver at the end of a pile of green and silver-gray.  It eventually wore off.

I also had some siblings where a child made a sand castle in Sulani and his little toddler sister knocked it down and HURT BETRAYED SAD AND ANGRY and I ignored it until she aged up and then had her apologize ("I'm sorry you're such a brat that you're holding a deep festering grudge against me for something I did when I was a toddler!") and they were besties from then on. But at least she did something, even if it was an overreaction. 

All that said, yeah, we shouldn't have to do that.  I shouldn't have to create a club so a mother can care for her child without the child being HURT, SAD, AND ANGRY that her mother exists over some imagined slight. 

Message 40 of 56 (1,595 Views)