by PoptartJuniper

Original Post

[OPEN] [NKSP] Knitting Skill books not giving skill

[ Edited ]
Hero

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a Sim read a knitting skill book
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim gains no skill
What do you expect to see? Sim gaining knitting skill from reading book
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Installing Nifty Knitting

Goes for vol 1 and 2. Didn't test 3

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 14 (3,476 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [NKSP] Knitting Skill books not giving skill

Hero (Retired)

Same on PS4. I only tested the level 1 book but no skill was gained for reading the book.

Message 2 of 14 (3,451 Views)

@crinrict

Same for me on Mac. Happens with debug knitting books and if my sim buys them.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 14 (3,387 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Same here on Mac. I also have two “read” interactions that appear when I click the knitting skill book 1.

Message 4 of 14 (3,323 Views)

Champion

If anyone is interested, I have a bug fix mod for this on my WordPress site, search for "simvasion mods" on Google to find it.

The stat lines for knitting skill are just inexplicably missing from all the knitting skill book tuning files.

<U n="skill_loot_data">
                <V n="level_range" t="enabled">
                  <U n="enabled">
                    <T n="lower_bound">0</T>
                    <T n="upper_bound">3</T>
                  </U>
                </V>
                <T n="stat" o="true" />
              </U>

On line 107 on the beginner knitting skill book, it shouldn't just say "stat" o="true", it should actually tell the game to use the knitting skill stat, something like this:

<U n="skill_loot_data">
                <V n="level_range" t="enabled">
                  <U n="enabled">
                    <T n="lower_bound">0</T>
                    <T n="upper_bound">3</T>
                  </U>
                </V>
                <T n="stat">239521<!--statistic_Skill_AdultMajor_Knitting--></T>
              </U>

There are similar blank stat lines in the intermediate and advanced skill books.

In addition, in the beginner skill book tuning file, it contains the affordance for "Read Too Hard", which it probably shouldn't (it's not in other skill beginner books), because beginner skill books can never be too hard to read - this is why people are seeing two "Read" interactions when clicking on the beginner skill book - it's showing the regular reading interaction and another one for being too hard to read.

I hope that info helps EA fix the issue!

Message 5 of 14 (3,204 Views)

Can't Knit

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded Nifty Knitting but for some reason I cannot gain skills. My Sim reads and reads and reads but gains nothing. Is this happening to anyone else? 

Message 6 of 14 (3,142 Views)

@jnelle624  I've merged your post with the bug report for this issue.  Feel free to click Me Too on the first post, and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 14 (3,104 Views)

Bug Report: House Lot Trait “Peace and Quiet”

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Latest
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but starwars
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Set the lot trait to peace and quiet and have a sim start reading multiple skill books. It might take some time but as the sim cycles through different skills the bug will appear.
What happens when the bug occurs? Skilled for progression bar disappears along with the lightbulb animation that signifies accelerated learning. Skill can progression completely stops in the same can no longer level up their skills by reading a book for that skill. I.e. if the sim is reading a book on knitting in the bug triggers, the sim will no longer be able to level up knitting by reading even if the books are sold, replaced or different level knitting books are read. This can happen to multiple skill too.
What do you expect to see? The sim’s skill progress level up faster by reading
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The peace and quiet lot trait has a pretty nasty bug. When it triggers it breaks all skill progression for any skill that the sim was reading about. For example if the Sim was reading about cooking and the bug triggers, then the Sim will no longer be able to level up cooking by reading any book (1-3) even if the books are sold and replaced. I can’t remember for sure, but I think this bug persists even if you close the game and reload it. Worst of all, this bug can trigger multiple times breaking additional skill lines. I’ve confirmed this isn't a visual bug of a disappearing skill bar by having the sim continue to read and watch the skill progress on the skill tab. No points are obtained no matter how much the sim reads. Skill progression through other activities does not seem to be affected by this bug. Only reading.

Message 8 of 14 (2,962 Views)

Re: Bug Report: House Lot Trait “Peace and Quiet”

Hero
@npeacher Did you test this without mods installed as well ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 14 (2,931 Views)

Re: Bug Report: House Lot Trait “Peace and Quiet”

Champion
@npeacher aren't knitting skill books broken anyway, regardless of lot traits? Last I was aware, they were missing tuning telling them to award knitting skill, so they effectively did nothing.

For other skill books, are you sure they just aren't learning skill so fast they are outleveling the books you're reading? Each skill has different skill ranges for the beginner, intermediate and advanced books for when they will work, or when they become "too easy" or are "too difficult" to read.
Message 10 of 14 (2,928 Views)