Re: Lines/Shadows in Corners of Room Now: Lighting Issues Similar to Kids Cooler

by Alistu

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Odd shadow attached to objects in proximity to walls

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all the expansions packs, and half of the stuff and game packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? just load a house and look in the corners, you see the shadow lines change as you move the camera
What happens when the bug occurs? lines/shadows that were not there before. Similar to the transluscent issues like the cool kids cooler line/shadow issue.
What do you expect to see? crisp corners with no shadow/lines
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. the dogs and cats patch messed this all up

The corners of the rooms are now (or I just noticed) showing the shadow/line issue similar to the transluscent kids cool cooler issue that also affected a lot of CC as well.  The kids cooler issue was fixed in the last patch, but now the corners of the the rooms show these weird shadows that change when you move the camera.  Also notice how I can see through my house when I exit the game..not sure if this is normal or not...but I am noticing it now.

Message 1 of 7 (3,060 Views)

Re: Lines/Shadows in Corners of Room Now: Lighting Issues Similar to Kids Cooler

Hero (Retired)

@Nuke615 I am seeing it in my game as well (have never used CC/mods, so no relation to that).  It does seem to behave like the cooler transparency issue.  As you angle your camera around, especially if there is an object in front of the shadow, you will see parts of it fade in and out.  Will add to our list.  As for seeing stuff through the walls as you exit the game, I'm guessing that's just viewing a part of the process where the game unloads assets.  Mine closes so quickly, that I don't see anything, but on a slower system, you could probably see a bit of that process.

Message 2 of 7 (2,953 Views)

★★★ Guide

Glad I am not alone on this.....hoping if and when EA fixes this, all the woes with lighting will be fixed

Message 3 of 7 (2,927 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I wanted to update this thread as in further testing, I've noticed that the odd shadows are not relegated only to corners.  I created a video to demonstrate how objects positioned in close proximity to a wall also have shadows behaving strangely.

I took a look at one of my older builds while testing another issue and noticed the strangeness, especially with the Boom Cube object that I used in it:

03-16-18_2-42-07 PM.png

This effect of an almost transparent edging or shadow on the object definitely didn't exist when I originally created and published the build.

Message 4 of 7 (2,874 Views)

★★★ Guide
If they fix this, I am thinking, just maybe, the strange translucent CC with weird shadows/lines will be repaired too. At least I am hoping so.
Message 5 of 7 (2,871 Views)

★★ Guide
This type of shadow has always been in the game as far as I remember but maybe not as noticable before. It's the game's SSAO. An artificial way of working out where shadows should be cast. It doesn't always have the most realistic of results. Some players edit their graphics rules file to disable it completely. So technically, I think it's behaving as designed.
Message 6 of 7 (2,806 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have been able to rid these unwanted lines by going into the games graphic card settings (Lighting) and setting the ssao to "false" for each category i.e. low, medium, high, very high.  Although you only really need to set the false value for the graphics setting you use in the game.  It really is a simple fix

Message 7 of 7 (2,752 Views)