Re: [TO TEST] Items collected in personal inventory are disappearing

by SimGuruIcarus

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)
I started a new save with new Sim and her Teen daughter. Only played Sunday, Monday and started playing Tuesday.
Mom went to the GeekCon event while her daughter was at school. When I got the notice her daughter was home from school I used the option to "bring here". She appeared at the festival with only her homework. I know she had her personal diary (Parenthood) and her completed school project plus a packed lunch and Medicine. The items were not in any personal or family inventory.
Mom only had 3 items and all were there.
◇Common factors:
•Packed lunch was in the inventory when the Teen left for school. It was gone and she had the positive moodlet from it. I just started using the packed lunch option. Probably used same option in the other saves with disappearing items.
•Sims were brought to join another Sim using the Bring here option. In this new save that was the only common action.
EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 11 of 193 (4,754 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Do you play rotationally ?  Does this mean do I play sims on different lots?  If so, no, I only play one family per save (except for a save that I use only for building, but that's a different save file, not this one).  I edited some other lots without the Sim traveling (IOW, from manage worlds) - nothing major though, and no cheats.

If you do, did you have a flea market happening while you were playing another family ?  No.  My Sim did go to the flea market, and bought all the snow globes.  IIRC, that's not when he lost all the other stuff.

What were you doing when you noticed the stuff missing ? After a vacation in GF or S ? Did you travel with your Sim ? No vacations.  The first time I noticed it (when everything but the snow globes disappeared), the Sim had traveled - maybe to GeekCon?  Or to the park in Oasis Springs?  I restored from a previous save and I noticed the elements were missing after he'd gone collecting in the area around his home lot.

Are you playing an kind of active career ?  My Sim is in the Tech Guru career.  His roommate is in Painting.

Which items (type) do go missing ? Only collectibles or other stuff ?  The only stuff he had in his inventory were collectibles, the snow globes he'd bought at the flea market, and plumbing parts.  The first time, everything in his inventory disappeared except the snow globes - so frogs, crystals, elements, plumbing parts, fruits, all of it.  The second time, the elements disappeared for sure, and I think some other collectibles too.

Like EuphorialQueen, I have used the Bring Here option, but I think that was after the problem started.  The lot traits are Fast Internet, Home Studio and Haunted - does the Haunted lot trait cause stuff to disappear?  I have the save files if that helps.

Message 12 of 193 (4,741 Views)

Hero
Thanks for all the info.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 193 (4,727 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@crinrict wrote:

Tagging this as needs input for now. Maybe someone can find any kind of pattern on when and how it happens.

Questions though (for everyone posting here)

• Do you play rotationally ?
  • If you do, did you have a flea market happening while you were playing another family ?
  • What were you doing when you noticed the stuff missing ? After a vacation in GF or S ? Did you travel with your Sim ? 
  • Are you playing an kind of active career ?
  • Which items (type) do go missing ? Only collectibles or other stuff ?

Here are the answers for my first save that had issues.

• Do you play rotationally ?   I have played rotationally in this file, but not recently. I have also been moving the child and dog to one of my other households for when this family goes on vacation to Selvadorada.
  • If you do, did you have a flea market happening while you were playing another family ?  Since I haven't been playing rotationally for a while in this save, I think the flea market question is probably not applicable.
  • What were you doing when you noticed the stuff missing ? After a vacation in GF or S ? Did you travel with your Sim ? I have three sims in this current household and only one had most of his inventory emptied (see note below). He had just completed the Jungle Adventures aspiration shortly before this happened, they returned home and he did go for work for the day (scientist career but I didn't join him).
  • Are you playing an kind of active career ? The sim who's items went missing is in the scientist career.  I've not played actively in that career for a while. He's either taking vacation or goes on his own, at least the last number of times I've played. 
  • Which items (type) do go missing ? Only collectibles or other stuff ? I noticed the majority of his inventory was missing which included collectibles, his scientist inventions, relics and I believe some books he wrote. 

I did end up recovering at a previous stage in the save and he had all his items then so I just played through again.  I just went into the save and his inventory appears full. FYI all three sims have a lot in their inventory because they've been digging at a lot of dig sites, plus I keep plants in their inventories for them to eat. make sure the items didn't disappear after saving.  

Here are my answers for my second save that I noticed issues with:

• Do you play rotationally ? Not in this save, this is the only household I'm playing.
  • If you do, did you have a flea market happening while you were playing another family ? N/A
  • What were you doing when you noticed the stuff missing ? After a vacation in GF or S ? Did you travel with your Sim ? I have traveled with this family to both GF and S but the books went missing when they were on their home lot. 
  • Are you playing an kind of active career ? Neither sim (it's a couple) are employed.
  • Which items (type) do go missing ? Only collectibles or other stuff ? I've only noticed skill books going missing (I don't pay attention to other books so wouldn't notice if they went missing Standard smile ). In this save I've noticed Vampire Lore skill books going missing.  I'm pretty sure I've had to buy the third skill book three times and it's gone missing again (I'm having them both learn the skill and they are not vampires). I saw the sim reading it and she stopped to interact with her husband and when I went to get her to read it again it wasn't in either of their inventories, it wasn't on the bookshelf, nor the family inventory and the option to clean up books wasn't available so it does not appear to be somewhere on the lot. As background, their inventory is also quite full as they've been collecting everywhere (S, GF and at home) as I'm working on a challenge with them that they are supposed to complete all the base game collections (and I've expanded it to include the OR and JA collections too).

FYI, I think I've noticed skill books, and in particular the vampire lore book, going missing in other saves, but I play a lot of saves so always chalked it up to my bad memory. I currently play with no mods/cc, though have used MCC in the past.  I clear my game cache regularly (pretty much every time I play).  I also repair fairly frequently, but will try doing that again. My game is current with updates and I have all the packs. I play on Windows 10. 

Thanks and regards, 

Jennifer

Message 14 of 193 (4,650 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Just as an update, I noticed in the second case I mentioned above that the sim put the book in the 'Ornate Beauty' which happened to be close to the bookcase. I didn't see all the books I thought I lost, but some were in there. So at least part of the issue with the books may be that they are putting them away in the wrong place. I did go into the save that had a lot of missing items in the scientist sim's inventory and I didn't see the missing items I remembered being there in their Storage Chest (though they had one of the storage chests from JA, not the base game ones).

Best regards,
Jennifer

Message 15 of 193 (4,636 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@crinrict
1st Welcome back Standard smile So excited to hear about and soon experience #TS4Seasons
But sadly I must say this happened again just now in my game. Have been playing a single Sim (Oldwin Quince) household aiming for the Rosebud achievement. Keeping him young using many Youth Potions. He completed the archeology aspiration and met and married his soulmate a couple of Sim weeks ago. Roscoe (his husband) was already in the Science career. Everything was good until just now. Followed Roscoe to work (Science career level 9). I had done this before without any problems. One of the tasks was to "Clone self". At the last few minutes of the shift I decided to go for it and Ivan /Roscoe's clone was born. All was well until the shift ended and they got home. Roscoe's inventory was intact complete with upgraded science objects. Oldwin only had 2 Machete left in his inventory. The plants, fossils, guitar, violin and music other things including adventure gear and relics are gone.

Edit: I was able to restore an earlier version of the save to see what went missing.

LOST 061118.PNG

06-11-18_6-36-22 PM.png

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
Message 16 of 193 (4,540 Views)

EA Staff

Hi @EuphorialQueen

Would you be willing to send your save files?  If so, instructions are here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

That would help us a lot!.

Thank you very much!         

Message 17 of 193 (4,512 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@SimGuruIcarus Yes I will be glad to send the file.
EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 18 of 193 (4,503 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@SimGuruIcarus wrote:

Hi @EuphorialQueen

Would you be willing to send your save files?  If so, instructions are here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

That would help us a lot!.

Thank you very much!         

Link to save folder includes text file and last exception files. Thank you for reviewing this issue.
*There is more than one save please see the one dated 11June2018
Google Drive Link

EQ Avid Sims Player
Message 19 of 193 (4,489 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have experienced this issue as well, and to be honest I'm quite upset about it at the moment. Previously, only things like Plasma packs, homework and upgrade parts have disappeared. Which is completely annoying, but replacable. Today, I also lost some Death Flowers and masterpiece paintings. Which I'm absolutely not happy about. One sims inventory was wiped clean. He had the most items, including a bunch of paintings. I got so mad I quit without saving.

• Do you play rotationally ? - Yes, but not the last days.
  • If you do, did you have a flea market happening while you were playing another family ? - I haven't played with another family
  • What were you doing when you noticed the stuff missing ? After a vacation in GF or S ? Did you travel with your Sim ? - Sims came back from work
  • Are you playing an kind of active career ? - Yes one sim is a detective, and the inventory items were missing after the sim came home (the detective inventory was intact). I always do a round to check everyone (because sims will never do anything remotely useful while you're not watching, so I have to give them something useful to do), I noticed right away that at least one sim inventory was wiped, the others had minor things missing, like the teen didn't have his homework.
  • Which items (type) do go missing ? Only collectibles or other stuff ? - I always have basements where I place paintings and collectibles on "display" or in chests. So I keep those things out of personal/family inventory. What usually goes missing is upgrade parts, medicine, and if vampires, Plasma packs. I usually buy about 50 packs for them each, but I've given that up. Really can't be bothered buying them constantly, because we can't just type in a number, but rather click the arrow.

I really see no other alternative than to take my sims off their jobs, and never travel anywhere until this is fixed. I've had this issue for a while, in different saves, but never had a sims inventory cleaned out like this. Really upsetting.

Message 20 of 193 (4,456 Views)