by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

[OPEN] [IL] Survey Ocean Wildlife from buoy doesn't clear job task

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.54.120.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? IL, RG, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar, Holiday Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a Sim in the Marine Biologist track of the Conservationist career. Try to complete the job task "Survey Ocean Wildlife" from a buoy that displays the option.
What happens when the bug occurs? The sim snorkels around and completes the task to "survey", but the job task does not complete.
What do you expect to see? Either: Remove "Survey Ocean Wildlife" from the buoy menu (as this is not what the task bubble says to complete) -or- Completing the task "Survey Ocean Wildlife" from a buoy should clear the task
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. June 21, 2019 Island Living expansion pack launch

The Marine Biologist (Conservationist career) has a job task to "Survey Ocean Wildlife".  A button to "Survey Ocean Wildlife" is available on the snorkeling buoys. A sim can successfully complete the "Survey Ocean Wildlife" task at the buoy, but it does not complete the job task. 

Survey ocean wildlife at buoy.png

Hovering over the task, the info says to "Survey coral, schools of fish or sea turtles in the ocean of Mua Pel'am". Clicking on any of those items and completing the task to "Survey Ocean Wildlife" does clear the task.

Survey Ocean Wildlife task.png

Spoiler
Survey ocean life-coral.pngSurvey ocean life-fish.pngSurvey ocean life-turtles.png

I believe the intention was to have the task completed on the actual wildlife, and the choice on the buoys should be removed. Alternatively, enable the completion of the task on the buoy to clear the job task.

Message 1 of 21 (22,949 Views)

Re: Marine Biologist-Survey Ocean Wildlife from buoy doesn't clear job task

Hero (Retired)

I can confirm it. I can also add that sending research results to the Institute does not change anything and does not improve career. Sending research results to the 'Nature Channel' doesn't give you any money. It looks like both options don't work the same as doesn't work task "Survey Ocean Wildlife"

Message 2 of 21 (22,856 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [IL] Survey Ocean Wildlife from buoy doesn't clear job task

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yep I have this too. I have to manually click some sea animal like the turtles and survey those there, the buoy doesn't work.

Message 3 of 21 (22,743 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have had this too.  But sometimes the buoy did work.  Now it doesn't.

Message 4 of 21 (22,630 Views)

★ Novice
@Wintermist This does not work for me. If I click on coral, schools of fish, birds, jellyfish, etc, and do not get a survey option. Just swim around options, or collect water. I wish there would be a fix for this!
Message 5 of 21 (21,012 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@HyndaKaka - As far as I can remember, the option only appears on coral, fish & turtles, but it is not always on all of them all of the time.  It's been a while, but I think the coral one comes up around sunset, maybe? 

I found the turtles to be the easiest to do, & they seemed to have the option whenever they're around. Hover over them until you get a gear icon so you're targeting them & not the water. (Click on the spoiler button in my other post to see what it looks like)

Message 6 of 21 (20,957 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [IL] Survey Ocean Wildlife from buoy doesn't clear job task

★★★ Guide
@BlackjackWidow I have a similar issue, but the buoy has the option grayed out. I haven't DONE the task with her, and the game tells me she NEEDS to do it, but the option is grayed out.
Message 7 of 21 (18,279 Views)

★★ Novice
@BlackjackWidow Any clues on the areas to look for all these, been searching for days and not finding anything 😕
Message 8 of 21 (16,325 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@shellie1976 - Sorry I can't get a screenshot for you, not able to get to my computer. But, if you zoom out & view the area with the camera facing the volcanic lot, the coral either by the beach (at the top of your screen in front of the waterfall) or down (opposite of the volcano, sort of in the middle of that area of the ocean) are the 2 spots that are most likely for me. 

The turtles & fish are usually swimming around the coral, either the middle of the ocean part, or on the other beach side - to the right, off the beach that has the cave. 

If you can figure out the areas I'm describing, try zooming in on them & move your mouse cursor around until it changes to a gear icon. Clicking that will give you the correct menu choices. Could just be my game, but seems like dusk in-game was the best time to find any of them.

I hope this helps! 

Message 9 of 21 (16,296 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much for the quick reply,  that's very helpful info thanks Large smile

Message 10 of 21 (16,287 Views)