by WickedLamb31

Original Post

[OPEN] [HSY] No Diploma at Graduation, Principal Missing

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.375.1020 (64 Bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a teen age up to young adult so they graduate from high school. Before graduation ceremony, have the principal die. Go to the graduation ceremony with the teen.
What happens when the bug occurs? There is no principal or any teachers at the graduation ceremony. Valedictorian gives the speech. No diploma giving occurs, since there is no one to give the diplomas. Eventually the event ends when the timer runs out. No graduation picture in inventory.
What do you expect to see? Some official from the school being present to give out the diplomas.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This has happened just once, and I haven't even tried to replicate it, so I used 'rarely' option on frequency. 

My teen sim graduated from high school as she aged to young adult. That was on Tuesday. No graduation ceremony visible in the calendar. She moved out immediately (and learned that the diploma is sent to the household where the sim is when they age up, not where they next check the mail, so the diploma is now at her parents' house on the wall, and she can't get it for herself, but that's another matter altogether). 

She continues living her life, gets a job, has twins, nothing happens on Sunday, so I thought graduation just bugged out, but then to my surprise, it actually does appear in the calendar to the Sunday of the week after that, almost two weeks after she graduated. So, there she goes, mother of two, level 7 in her career, to the high school graduation ceremony on that Sunday. Only to realize there's no principal or any teachers present, just graduates and a couple of guests. 

Then I remember that I got a notification in the neighbordhood stories that the principal had drowned when swimming. 'n I obviously haven't gone to high school at all after that, so I'm -guessing- that because no one has loaded into the high school after the priincipal's death, the game did not create a new one. 'n without a principal, the ceremony of giving diplomas does not take place. 

Good thing she's in the criminal career and doesn't care about scholarly things, or she'd be quite miffed for not having either the diploma nor the graduation picture.

I have all the packs and kits ever, aging on with normal lifespan.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 9 (7,209 Views)

Re: [HSY] No Diploma at Graduation, Principal Missing

★★ Guide

Indeed, if the Principal role is not filled there is nobody to distribute diplomas at graduation.

In my save (short lifespan) I deleted the default Principal's household before graduation (she was old but still alive). Event happened but my sim didn't receive the diploma or graduation picture.

With neighborhood stories active the principal can die anytime (of accidents) thus ruining the graduation ceremony.

The problem is compounded by the long time span between aging up and the actual graduation ceremony (at least a week and a day).

Presumably the only way of filling in the role is to go to high school during "working hours".

Message 2 of 9 (7,174 Views)

★ Novice

Same is happening to me, the principal never showed up to deliver the diplomas, at first I thought it was a glitch so I erased the last save the tried again, but the principal didn't showed up again, I looked in my game and she is dead, but I dont know how to assign a new one, and thus the photo never appeard in the inventory

Message 3 of 9 (6,608 Views)

★★ Guide

The High School Years jobs are in fact hidden traits assigned to sims. You can assign a new principal by:

• loading a household with the sim you want to be principal
  • enable cheats (CTRL+SHIFT+C then type testingCheats true)
  • with the desired sim selected, type traits.equip_trait trait_Hidden_HighSchool_NPC_Principle (yes, it’s spelled wrong, that’s the cheat unless they correct it in a patch)

You can now switch back to your original household (not recommended to have principal in active household). Remember to “protect” your principal from Neighborhood Stories accidental deaths.

An alternative way if you don’t want to use a cheat is to make the game generate a principal by going to school with a teen during school hours.

Both of these methods are cumbersome and require the player to check if the principal is dead/alive BEFORE the ceremony.

Hopefully it can help a few simmers like @AlexEbertRo7 who have a save before the ceremony and are wondering how to get a new principal.

Message 4 of 9 (6,505 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have teachers, guests, grads and the principal appear. My problem is that upon arrival, the principal will fill one of the fountains and then proceed to dip out (leave the lot). Teachers and everyone else is there, the principal just leaves. I tried putting a fence around the exits so she couldn't leave. I was unable to interact with her and when I finally could, she no longer had the principal tag over her. I saved before traveling to the auditorium and it never fails for her to leave upon every load. My sim, who is valedictorian, proceeds with his speech, but since the principal left, no diplomas are handed out. Should say that I play with no mods.

Message 5 of 9 (6,335 Views)

★★ Guide

@DracuAlice2017  hmm, one possible reason for this happening is if the sim with the principal tag has a “job” elsewhere. 

Because the HSY roles are not actual jobs but hidden traits the game filters may assign them to a job somewhere else (such a vendor or barista).  I don’t know if it’s going to work or if you can still load a save before the ceremony but could you try loading the principal household before the ceremony and then switching back to your main household in time? 

Loading the household would make them lose any npc jobs but not the trait. Hopefully it’s a schedule conflict. 

The only other reason I can think of is a need failure of some sort.

Message 6 of 9 (6,314 Views)

★★★ Guide

@cosumeu I was wondering that. I've seen the principal as stall vendors, so this could be. Apparently graduation is the next week, so will try again.

Message 7 of 9 (6,297 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [HSY] No Diploma at Graduation, Principal Missing

★ Apprentice

Is there no solution to this issue?  I am experiencing it too along with no prom for my sim.  My sim goes to graduation, listens to the valedictorian give a speech but no one is there to give them the diploma.

Message 8 of 9 (4,923 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [HSY] No Diploma at Graduation, Principal Missing

★ Apprentice

This sounds borderline superstitious but I gave it a go and it worked. I considered doing what an above poster suggested and got into a random home with a Teen Sim to see if I could send him to school - then while his home was active (and not my graduating Sim's) I remembered that it's night time and didn't feel like playing through the whole home through the weekend before I could send her to school. I hopped back to my original Sim still at the auditorium, intending to try the solutions the next time the graduation appeared - and lo, the principal appeared! I just quickly grabbed my diploma from her and scarpered - next time I'll just work my teens' butts off so that they graduate early and are saved from this annoying hassle. The photo isn't worth it. 

Message 9 of 9 (2,200 Views)