Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Glass roof/Windows over basement won't display basement

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? A lot
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By attempting to build a glass roof over a basement.
What happens when the bug occurs? If you build a basement, remove the ceiling and put a roof over it and then make it a glass roof, the basement under it will not be visible and instead you will see through the game world as the glass is transparent but no basement is currently loaded. However, if you shrink the roof to reveal a hole in the ground that shows part of the basement, the game is then forced to load the basement and the glass roof works fine, but you're stuck with an open hole in the ground which is useless.
What do you expect to see? I expected to be able to create a sort of underground sun room so that I could theoretically lure in and kill Vampires down there. (I assume a glass ceiling counts as being in the sun for a Vampire, I don't see why it wouldn't)
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

While attempting to try out an idea I had to build underground sun room for the purpose of vampire hunting. I found that glass roofs don't seem to work with basements, instead of seeing the basement through the glass, you see just through the game world into the void, the game I guess thinks that no part of the basement is visible and unloads it out of view.

The attached image is pretty straight forward, on the right is what happens when you seal a basement with a glass roof, the left side is the glass roof working correctly but only because I revealed part of the basement with a hole in the ground, forcing the game to load the basement into view.

Anyway I'm sure you get the idea now.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title, adjusted base game version

Message 1 of 13 (6,139 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Glass roof making basement invisible

Hero

Much to the disappointment of illusionists everywhere, glass walls over basements should no longer hide basement walls when viewed from above.

Fixed in Patch 1.103.250/1.84

Please create a new thread if you're still experiencing this issue,

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 13 of 13 (920 Views)

All Replies

Re: Glass roof over basement lets you see through the game world instead

Hero (Retired)

@Xiraiya I see this in my game as well and will add it to our list.  A potential work around would be to use one of the glass dance floors to cover the basement instead (you'll need to turn bb.moveobjects on and you may want to resize the rug as well).

Message 2 of 13 (6,045 Views)

Re: Glass roof over basement lets you see through the game world instead

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

This is a really annoying bug because it used to work so well. Not only is the light not getting through the glass roof, it's also causing a weird reflection on the outside glass - it's like it's creating a default interior that doesn't match what has been built.

I've found that if you can live with it - and it's probably not weather proof! leave a section uncovered and it will let light through the glass roof.

Example build a 5x4 room in the basement and then partially cover it with a 4x4 roof - the light literally floods in. And it's not just because you've left an opening (I've used it as a stairwell) you will see shadows created by the pattern of the roof structure that shows the light is coming roof the glass roof.

edit - I am sorry I didn't read the OP properly, they already mentioned leaving an opening. so I've added some screenshots to make the issue clearer.

basementRoom.png

5x4GlassRoof.png

resized4x4GlassRoof.png

Message 3 of 13 (5,859 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Glass roof over basement won't display basement

★★ Novice

I am having the same problem now! is there a way to work around it? why has this not been fixed?????

Message 4 of 13 (5,458 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Glass roof over basement won't display basement

★★★ Novice

I am also having this issue. Please fix EA

Message 5 of 13 (5,391 Views)

Bug with textures on basement levels

★ Novice

Which language are you playing the game in? Русский язык
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Nothing
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a basement, remove roof of basment room then place roof with transparent glass on this room.
What happens when the bug occurs? textures, shadows, walls broken
What do you expect to see? walls, correct texture of underground, shadows
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Hi!
I built a basement, then I removed roof of the room. After that I'd place roof with a glass on this room.
And it is a bug with walls, shadows in basement.

Message 6 of 13 (5,340 Views)

Re: Bug with textures on basement levels

★ Novice
@kaktus4ever can anyone help me?
Message 7 of 13 (5,296 Views)

Re: Bug with textures on basement levels

Hero
@kaktus4ever I merged your post with existing bug report on this.

Don't think there's much you can do.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 13 (5,292 Views)

Basement walls disappear when viewed through windows on the ground floor

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Which language are you playing the game in? English
What is your current game version number? 1.67.45.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Eco Lifestyle Discover University Cats & Dogs Seasons City Living Outdoor Retreat Tiny Living Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a home with an open-air basement space, windows, and then an interior basement space with walls. Look through the windows into the basement space while the ground floor is selected.
What happens when the bug occurs? The walls inside the basement disappear when viewed through windows.
What do you expect to see? I expect the walls to appear, as they do when viewing through the window with the basement floor selected.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes

Most of the walls inside the basement fail to render when viewed through windows. The example screenshot has a lot of CC and some mods, but the same issue occurs if I disable CC and mods.

What I see from the ground floor:

11-09-20_10-32-14 PM.jpg

What I see from the basement level:

11-09-20_10-32-28 PM.jpg

Message 9 of 13 (4,760 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Glass roof/Windows over basement won't display basement

★ Guide

There is a sort of workaround.  Make two roofs, one each end of the basement.  Complete the roof by pulling the eaves over the gap instead of the roof itself. 

Message 10 of 13 (4,701 Views)