Re: Science Lab Broken

by NerissaAdamaris

Original Post

★★★★ Expert

Well, I'm currently working on a solution. Ran into a snag.

I successfully created a mod that moves the science career hours from 10am-7pm to 12am-9am. Since my sim is now at the lab at 5am, the plants are working properly now. They spawn fruit, dry out, get weeds, etc.

There are a few problems with it though. Since you are now at the LAB at 5am, you are no longer at HOME at 5am, so your plants at home don't spawn. However, since you are still home at 5am on the weekends, you can still grow fruit at home 2 days a week. (But that's only a problem with the science career) I can live with that bug.

The second problem is, none of the coworkers are showing up for work at 12am. I don't know why not. I'm still looking into it, but at least I'm making headway.

I wonder if I shift the work hours to 4am-1pm, would the coworkers show up at 10am? That would at least give you 3 hours with your coworkers. But I'd rather have them show up at 12.

Message 41 of 161 (1,585 Views)

★ Apprentice
Woohooo! That's awesome!!!
Share the mod pretty please?
I got other folks at home that do gardening so the plants there still should spawn, right?
Def worth a try Standard smile

The best thing would be though if EA simply fixed that problem and have fruits spawn no matter what time of day our Scientist arrives. Just doesn't make sense to give him tasks that are impossible to fulfill...unless there's a trick that nobody found out yet.
Message 42 of 161 (1,574 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Well, at the moment, it's not any better. I may have bypassed the gardening problem, but I created new ones in the process. Now all tasks that require interaction with coworkers can't be done... which actually may be a bigger problem.

Message 43 of 161 (1,565 Views)

★ Apprentice

Sorry about the additional issues Frown

But at least you tried. And you might find another way in the process ^^

Do you think the plants in the lab could be made to spawn at 11 am or 1 pm (or really any time that the scientist is actually there?

Then everything else could stay as it was and the scientist would be there when it happens.

Message 44 of 161 (1,562 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

That's another method I want to look at. Thing is, I'm not very good at modding Sims. Now Skyrim or Fallout, I'm pretty decent at modding. Sims, not so much. There's very little I can see I have access to in Sims. Basically just what's in the Tuning files.If Maxis didn't put the option there, I don't think it can be done.

Message 45 of 161 (1,553 Views)

★★ Guide
@Psychotps, Following this with interest, just want to know if you have worked around the 'no co-workers' bug if you have that one in your test file.

Aso @NerissaAdamaris, remember that it's only the active lot that will spawn fruit, even if you have played sims on an inactive lot nothing will grow or fruit there.
Message 46 of 161 (1,534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Fixed the CoWorkers bug. Mod is now working properly.

It's currently up on both the Nexus and Mod The Sims. It's called  Scientist Career - Graveyard Shift and Gardening Fix

Message 47 of 161 (1,525 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Psychotps OMG, that's so awesome!!! I'm seriously thrilled!!!

I'm gonna run grab your mod and try it immediately.

This is gonna be a great day in the lab!! Yay!!

@helenthehunter I'm super new to Sims but eager to learn Standard smile

What determines whether a lot is considered "active/inactive"? Obviously, the lot where my family is living is def active, but what about others?

I only play with one household for starters.

The stuff on my neighboring lot always grows and spawns fruit even though I'm not playing that lot.

My scientist spends lots of hours at the lab and the plants hardly grow even though I let him talk to them.

I did let me sims hang around in Sylvan Glades forever just to get the cherry tree to finally grow up so I could get a cutting from it.

Was about to start thinking that it was broken too...lol...it just took so crazy long.

Next up I will have them be there before 5 am to see if that tree will have fruit then ^^

Message 48 of 161 (1,515 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Gardening only spawns on "Active" lots. Those are lots you are currently playing.

For example: If you create a "Park" lot and put say Strawberries on it, they'll never grow unless you are actively playing the lot at 5am. It doesn't matter if you have a sim there. Unless you are actually playing it at 5am, they'll never spawn.

That was the problem with the Science Lab. Since the vanilla work hours are 10am-7pm, you would never be there at 5am when the plants spawn.

Message 49 of 161 (1,510 Views)

★ Apprentice

I wonder what they were thinking when they programmed that part. 

Somehow makes no sense to the player at all, does it?

Anyhow, I'm soooo very happy with your mod!!

Thanks so much once again Standard smile

Message 50 of 161 (1,489 Views)