[OPEN] [GTW] Items returned after selling at the retail shop

by Kanzaki_Ranko

Original Post

Can't sell own books

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything except for: Snowy Escape, Journey to Batuu, Paranormal, Fitness, Perfect Patio, Luxury Party & all 3 kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By making a retail store where you sell your own books.
What happens when the bug occurs? I have an author sim, and she has a bookstore (GTW Retail store). I can set her books for sale without any issues, but once she leaves the retail lot, they're back in her inventory and I will have to set it all back again once I go back to the bookstore. I also wanted another household to buy her books, but if I play with my other household and go to her store, all the books are gone and it's just an empty shop :/
What do you expect to see? I just want the books to stay where I placed them. I don't want them to go back into her inventory every time I leave the lot, and I want my other households to be able to visit her bookstore and buy her books.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I don't have any screenshots.

Message 11 of 24 (1,395 Views)

Re: The Following Items Were Returned - retail set for sale items!

★★★★ Novice

This is happening to me as well, very frustrating.

Message 12 of 24 (1,305 Views)

Books marked for sale at bookshop returned to inventory

★★★ Newbie

Platform:Mac
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, University, Get to Work, Island Living, Cats and Dogs, Get Famous, Snowy Escape Dine Out, Jungle Adventure, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Parenthood Vintage Glamour, Toddler Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Tiny Living, Kids Room Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? If you create a bookshop and make your sim the owner of the bookshop. Then get your sim to put their written books in their inventory and then put them for sale in the shop/mark them for sale. Then close up shop and return home.
What happens when the bug occurs? When you close shop and return home, a message appears saying you left items from your inventory on a lot and they have been returned to your inventory. Which means every time you want to sell books in your bookshop you have to take them with you each time you travel there, set them out and mark them for sale again. Plus it means that when you are playing your other sims, they can't find any books for sale in the bookshop.
What do you expect to see? I really would like to be able to have my bookshop owner put their books for sale and that they then stay there when they leave the shop and when other sims visit the shop to make a purchase. This doesn't happen with other types of shops eg. when you put paintings for sale in a shop they don't return to your inventory so I'm not sure why it happens with books. I spent ages building a bookshop but I never play it because it isn't usable! I've heard other simmers speak of the same issue. Some simmers want to build bookshops in the new Henford on Bagley world and so it would be good for this bug to be fixed to work with the new expansion.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

xxxxx

Message 13 of 24 (1,304 Views)

Re: Can't sell own books

★★★ Newbie

Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

I was trying to make my author sims start a bookstore but the same thing is happening to me. (When he leaves the retail store lot the books return to his inventory, although I am able to sell them while on location.)

I've found it really frustrating and am looking for any way to fix it.

I have no cc/mods and only have base game with get to work and city living installed. 

Message 14 of 24 (1,084 Views)

Re: The Following Items Were Returned - retail set for sale items!

★★ Apprentice

I'm having the same issue. I'm on PS4 and have books my sim written and they return back to her inventory when she goes home. 

Message 15 of 24 (1,003 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [GTW] Items returned after selling at the retail shop

★★ Novice

It happens to me too. With books being the sold items. Both bought from bookshelf and written by sims, the books return to my sims inventory when travelling to home lot, quoting I left them in a different lot.

It does not happen with items crafted within the scitentist occupation though, SimRays and Hoverlamp stayded in the shop, despite being put-able to inventory.

Books that were written by sims, but stored in a bookshelf (ergo not marked for sale) stayed on the retail lot.

No CC etc.

Thanks for repairing.

Message 16 of 24 (862 Views)

Items marked for sale in Retail Store returned to Sim

★★★★ Guide

Platform:PC
What is your current game version number? 1.96.365.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Island Living, Discover University, Snowy Escape. Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Realm of Magic. Perfect Patio, Cool Kitchen, Vintage Glamor, Bowling Night, Paranormal. Holiday Celebration Pack, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? * Have a sim open a retail store from Back to Work * Place a magical tome from Realm of Magic ( like Tome of Repario, Tome of Prompt Resurrection) for sale in the store from the sim's inventory. * The Tome has to have been in the Sim's inventory for the bug to happen. If the Tome has never been in the Sim's inventory, it stays for sale in the store when the sim leaves the retail store lot.
What happens when the bug occurs? When the Sim leaves the retail store, the Tome is returned to the sim's inventory despite having been marked to be sold. There's a notification: 'The following items were returned to either your Sim's Inventory or the Household Inventory after being left on another lot. [Sim's name] [Tome name]
What do you expect to see? I would like the item I had the sim mark for sale in their retail store stay in the store and stay for sale, despite having once been in my sim's inventory.

I tried twice to return to the retail lot and place the tomes for sale to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. That's why there's two notifications in the screen shot.

Ordinarily, I appreciate, very much, that items my sims lose are returned to them when they leave lots. One of my families just went on a Snowy Escape vacation and were constantly leaving their personal laptops everywhere, and it was great to have the laptops returned every time they left a lot.

In this case, though, I'd like the Tomes that had once been in my sim's inventory to stay for sale in their retail store and not be returned to them.

I have a workaround already, I'm going to save a room that has the items I want the sim to place for sale, then place the room on the lot, and then move the tomes, and then have the sim mark them for sale. They stay in the retail lot, and stay for sale, if the sim never handles the tome.

I don't want to have to depend on the work-around, though, it ruins the immersion for me. Making a room that has the tomes in it already also defeats the purpose of making a store that sells them Frown

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Message 17 of 24 (798 Views)

Re: Items marked for sale in Retail Store returned to Sim

Champion

I've got this too. It started with the Full Wood Jacket bikes (mentioned on that thread too), which wasn't really surprising because they are such a problem anyway. But it's also happened with Skis that are locked to the skiing skill. That one surprised me. She sold the store and a few days later the bikes were in her inventory but I later noticed that the skis were there too. I had to give up and add different skis from build mode as she'd added the skis from her personal inventory. When I added them from build mode they stayed put.

I'm on Xbox Series S.

I've kept testing this on other retail lots but not reproduced it, it was just the one store. I'm going to keep testing it as I add more varied retail lots.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 18 of 24 (752 Views)

Re: Can't sell own books

★★★★ Novice

I think I have a fix for this now. If you place the books in a room and upload it to the gallery then download it again and put the downloaded books in the store the game wont think the books belong to your sim so it doesn't keep returning the books to you whenever you leave the lot. 

Message 19 of 24 (729 Views)

retail items returning to inventory

★★★ Newbie

I bought my own retail lot and build a store. I then placed a book that my sims wrote and marked it up for sale, but whenever I leave to lot to go back home, the items automatically return to my inventory. I've tried everything from restarting the game to going through my setting to see for solutions. I don't have any mods nor custom content installed, and the internet is quite useless with this bug. Can somebody please help me out?

I've uploaded a picture of the notification I get after leaving my retail store.

Message 20 of 24 (605 Views)