Original Post

Accepted Solution

[OPEN] [GTW] Books marked for sale being read by customers/owner

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Español
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, City Living, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim write a few books in the computer. Put them on the floor from your inventory, make a few copies of each one, put them all in your inventory. Publish the original books using the mailbox. Create a retail in an empty lot, put some shelves from the "retail objects" menu in purchase mode and anything else needed. Make your sim buy the lot, and when he's there, drag and drop the books from his inventory to the shelves, and then mark them as "for sale". Open the store, and wait for the customers to arrive.
What happens when the bug occurs? 1) Customers would take books marked as "for sale" from the shelves, read them for a while, and then just drop them anywhere on the floor. The books remain as "for sale", just scattered around. 2) When it's the owner of the shop who takes a book marked as "for sale" from a shelf, after reading it he puts it IN HIS INVENTORY, and when you drag and drop it back to the shelf, it is NOT marked as "for sale".
What do you expect to see? I expect customers (and the owner of the business) NOT to touch books marked as "for sale", as they wouldn't touch any other object marked as "for sale" in a retail lot.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Here are some images for you to have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Here, the owner of the shop reading a book marked as "for sale":

Owner reading book for sale.png

After reading the book, the owner of the shop puts it in his inventory, and now it's NOT marked as "for sale" anymore:

Book in owner inventory.jpg

A customer reading a SOLD BOOK (¿?), while shop owner restocks a book that was dropped on the floor by a customer and then bought by another one:

Reading sold book - restocking on floor.jpg

Customer reading book marked as "for sale", and several books marked as "for sale" scattered around:

Books on the floor.jpg

Message 15 of 32 (5,892 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] [GTW] Books marked for sale being read by customers/owner

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Marked as Solution for Visibility Purposes Only

If anyone's still seeing this I'd really appreciate if you could share a save file where you've seen it occurring. You can DM the link to me, thanks so much for the help!

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 30 of 32 (5,203 Views)

All Replies

[OPEN] [GTW] Books marked for sale being read by customers/owner

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Since the last patch my bookstore is having problems. Sims are now able to read books that are for sale and are taking them off of shelves to read them.  Previously, Sims would not be able to use books, or any other item, if it has been marked for sale.

I have removed mods, repaired the game and started a new save, but the issue still occurs.

Steps to replicate:

- Start retail store

- Place books on lot and mark them for sale

- Ensure no other fun items on lot (will ensure Sims will only choose books to replenish fun)

- Sims will start picking up books marked for sale and read them

Message 1 of 32 (6,408 Views)

Re: [TO ADD] [GTW] Books marked for sale being read by customers/owner

★ Pro

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/909112/retail-bookstore-issue-since-toddler-patch#latest

"I don't have the problem of customers reading or taking books, but I do have a problem with my shop owner reading them. Once she takes them they're no longer set for sale. Very annoying. They did something to the way books are purchased - must have broken the way they work in retail shops"

I have not tried shopping as a customer in my bookshop. 

Message 2 of 32 (6,375 Views)

customers reading retail display books

★★ Guide

Is this a new bug?

My career villain Sim used to have a store in Windenburg, few of the customers took any notice of the books he was selling (mostly stolen from Mob Wives, though some he's written himself).

But then after selling the Windenburg store and carrying all his old stock to a new built store in the vampire town, his customers started picking up the display books and trying to read them.

It's not a huge problem because they're easily dragged back to the display.

No mods but some CC (screenshot)

Message 3 of 32 (6,368 Views)

Re: customers reading retail display books

★★★★ Apprentice

It appears to be a new bug that came with the toddler patch.

Message 4 of 32 (6,349 Views)

Re: customers reading retail display books

Hero

Replicated and added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 32 (6,339 Views)

★ Novice

Any headway on this bug? I was pretty stoked to open up a new bookstore after enjoying owning a store to sell another sim's artwork but this issue pretty much instantly squashed the enthusiasm; it's not a small bug if it turns bookstore management into an exercise in tediously hunting and re-shelving books that your sim has taken into inventory! Customers aren't AS bad about it but my controlled sim constantly wants to read the books and just tucks them in his pocket when he's done flipping pages.

Will stick to just selling them to publishers for now I guess until I can level up something else to make marketable goods!

(No mods here, tried all the "usual" troubleshooting steps, before anyone suggests that)

Message 6 of 32 (6,265 Views)

Hero

I don't think there's a workaorund to this.

EA/Maxis is never giving out ETAs on fixes

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 32 (6,259 Views)

Sim putting away retail items?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So I laid out some kids personal journals to sell, made sure they had the 'for sale' ticked on. My sim came down and took one of the books and was going to put it away.. onto a bookshelf before i stopped her.

Has this happened to anyone else? 

It may have been a one time problem. I will have to wait and see.

On another note. The one she picked up was the same color as her personal journal that is in her inventory already.

Message 8 of 32 (6,152 Views)

Re: Sim putting away retail items?

Hero

Hi @Andipoodle

this is a known issue

I've merged your post with existing bug report.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 32 (6,140 Views)