Re: [GRO] Sims change appearance (possibly related to loose tooth)

by thunder11433

Original Post

Re: black sims glitch

★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same problem, I installed Growing Together yesterday, and when one of my children aged to a Teen she changed appearances to a completely black sim, with different hair, and eye color as well. No CC in the game and I turned off Mods. 

Message 41 of 142 (5,924 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@LazyDandelion I can confirm it has something to do with the teeth. In the same family, one of the other children just lost a tooth and she changed appearance as well. To an unnatural black skin town, clothing, eyes, and hair all changed as well.
Message 42 of 142 (5,909 Views)

Hero
@LazyDandelion Did you restart the game while she had the tooth moodlet ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 43 of 142 (5,878 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@crinrict I didn't notice the moodlet, however, I got the pop-up in the upper right that she had lost the tooth. That's when her appearance changed. I exited without saving. She was the twin of the original sim that changed. When I re-enter the lot, the first sim daughter changes immediately. I had decided to just keep playing, but then the second sim changed.

They are both teens, they aged up from children less than a sim day prior, so it's possible the loose tooth moodlet was there and I didn't notice. It's a large family, so I most likely missed the moodlet. I just left without saving and it reverted them back to their original appearance. I haven't gone back in since. I can send you the save if it'll help. I have all mods turned off.
Message 44 of 142 (5,864 Views)

Hero
@LazyDandelion Oh so they changed as teens not as children ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 45 of 142 (5,861 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@crinrict Correct, both teens that had just aged up.
Message 46 of 142 (5,856 Views)

Hero
@LazyDandelion Thank. You got me scared there for a moment that it's even worse :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 47 of 142 (5,829 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@crinrict Ha, sorry, poor wording on my part.

They are twin teen girls, the first teen changed to all-black almost immediately after aging up. I had no idea why at the time. But the second teen sim is when I noticed the pop-up that she'd lost a tooth just as her appearance changed to all-black.
Message 48 of 142 (5,809 Views)

★ Novice

Same for me... I dont have any CC or script mods installed (or i would have deleted the loose tooth moodlet) and I even tried to age my sim down to a child, then pull out the tooth and then re-aging him, but still.. no cigar.

Message 49 of 142 (5,808 Views)

Re: [GRO] Sims change appearance (possibly related to loose tooth)

★ Guide

I had a look at this, and it appears to be tied to some hidden buffs that a child sim gets when they have a loose tooth:

buff_Lose_Teeth_Missing_Tooth_BedSwipe
buff_Lose_Teeth_Missing_Tooth_AppearanceModifier
buff_Lose_Teeth_Fix_Tooth

These buffs apply an appearance modifier (something which alters CAS parts for the duration of the buff), to children (which works fine), but since these buffs don't get removed when they age up to a teen, the game tries to apply the same modifier that is meant for children, but on the teen, which causes the visual issues we see here. Also, these buffs have an accompanying commodity (which is basically a statistic, kind of like motives) with the same name as the respective buff, and from my testing, removing these buffs alone is not enough to clear the glitch, you also have to remove the commodities, which in the vanilla game is not the easiest thing to do (in theory it is possible with testingcheats, but the cheat is quite long).

However, even after removing the buffs and their commodities, the sim may still have an odd appearance (have very big eyes, something that is usually from very broken CC but not in this case) but it is easily fixed by editing them in CAS (full edit mode) and randomizing their face preset - then edit the sim as normal; the bug should not return when you leave CAS, provided all the aforementioned buffs and commodities have been removed. I have also made a workaround modfix that does this, which should prevent the issue happening on any future sims, but it's not retroactive for Sims which already have a bugged appearance - you would still need to edit them in CAS as mentioned above to get them back to normal, or roll back the save to a point before you got the glitch.

Message 50 of 142 (5,765 Views)