[FIXED] External Garbage Cans filling up without needed lot Trait

by MapleSimmer

Original Post

Re: External Garbage Cans filling up without Eco Lifestyle

★★★★★ Newbie

I just installed the game, i have had it for years but i don't play it often. This problem appeared as soon as i bought my first outdoor trashcan and it built up trash. I have basegame, free holiday stuff pack, and get to work, my lot traits are Fast Internet, Convivial, and Science Lair. I do have mods installed but I was having the issue before I installed them.

Message 21 of 153 (3,901 Views)

Re: [OPEN] External Garbage Cans filling up without Eco Lifestyle

★★★★ Novice

I have found an issue where the community trash bins are not letting you rummage from them. Always greyed out.

Message 22 of 153 (3,870 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having the same issue. PC user here. I do have EL installed, but I started noticing this bug right after the June 3rd patch, and it simply persisted when EL released. Similar to what others have reported here, there is no way to remedy the overflowing trash can situation through actual gameplay, and it must be deleted and bought again. In another vein, I find it odd that my sims can "Rummage" in trash cans off my household lot when "fresh" trash has been placed in them, but my sims cannot do anything to outside trash cans on my household lot, other than "Magic" > "Spell" > "Inferniate" for my spellcasters.

It is not a game breaking bug, but it is definitely annoying. It does not matter which Lot Traits I have listed, and the Guntdach Home Recycler is only helpful for trash that is placed in my sims’ inventories. So I guess I could just start moving all trash straight into their inventories and never use another outside trash can again…

I am not sure if this is also a bug, but my sims do not have the option to specifically rummage for things either, like “bits & pieces” or “assemblage/ingredients,” only the regular “Rummage” option appears. I was just under the impression we would have more specific options with EL due to a Eurogamer article on recycling in TS4 I read. 

Message 23 of 153 (3,743 Views)

★★★★ Guide

same issue here.. no options possible and no opportunity to empty them without recycle trait

Message 24 of 153 (3,727 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

My outdoor trash can is only a clickable object for female sims now and the only action they can perform is to kick it.  Also since the last patch now the indoor can gets emptied to the floor instead of the outdoor can anyway. So outside trashcan is no longer working at all.

Message 25 of 153 (3,723 Views)

★★ Novice
@MapleSimmer I’ve had the same issue. The only thing I think to solve this without eco living is get the “nanocwn touchless trash can”. It automatically destroys trash and u don’t have to dump it.
Message 26 of 153 (3,695 Views)

★ Guide

that's actually a really clever work around

Message 27 of 153 (3,686 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

This may be related, but I have the opposite happening. External trash cans, not on the lot do not have any trash, so my sims cannot rummage for parts. I noticed this with the trash cans in Oasis Springs and in the park.

I do not have the Eco Lifestyle pack

Message 28 of 153 (3,638 Views)

★ Novice

The same thing is happening to me! Whenever my sims go outside they get the uncomfortable moodlet and I was trying for so long to see if there was a dirty plate or something outside until I realised that it was the trash can. I hope they fix it soon. 

Message 29 of 153 (3,578 Views)

★★★★ Pro

One workaround is to buy a trash chute, those you have in penthouses. They work in houses too, and they don’t fill up. Also, they’re free! 🙌🏻

Message 30 of 153 (3,405 Views)