by simsplayer818

Original Post

[OPEN] [ECO] Sim cannot own/sell dumpster Full Wood Jacket Bike

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Xbox Series S
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.7.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Courtyard oasis, island living, luxury party, laundry day, snowy escape, vintage glamour, nifty knitting, jungle adventure, realm of magic, bowling night, cats and dogs, my first pet, outdoor retreat, country kitchen, throwback fit, toddler, dream home decorator, fitness, romantic garden, dine out, movie hangout, discover university, gnome on the go, perfect patio, spa day, kids room, industrial loft, parenthood, backyard, Strangerville, Moschino, animal hats, tiny living, city living, get famous, life of the party, get to work, up all night, cottage living, get together, seasons, cool kitchen, grims guitar, Incheon arrivals, fashion street, blooming rooms, paranormal, eco living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Find a Full Wood Jacket Bike in a dumpster. If my Sim places the bike in the world it says she does not own it. If I set them for sale they return to the inventory. My Sims consequently have inventories full of bikes.
What happens when the bug occurs? She can ride around on the bike but can't put it in her inventory again. She sometimes picks it up automatically when she's finished riding around on it as once she's found one she rides everywhere. When she leaves it behind somewhere and goes home, I get a message saying she left items on another lot which are restored to her inventory. So I do get it back. If I set them for sale at a retail lot and then leave the retail lot and go home, I get the message again saying she's left items behind and the bikes set for sale are back in her inventory. But sometimes I can't even select Set for Sale.
What do you expect to see? It only happens with the bikes. I expect the same rules of ownership with the bikes as with all other found items. Finders keepers.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Adding eco living.

This has happened with 2 different Sims from 2 different households and both of them have retail lots containing crafted/fabricated items.

With the first Sim I could place the bikes at her store in Willow Creek, set for sale but they returned to her inventory on travel.

The next Sim has 10 bikes in her inventory. It took ages to find them, all different and unique designs and I want to sell them. It won't even let me set her bikes for sale at her store in Newcrest. Again it says she does not own them.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 1 of 14 (4,630 Views)

Re: [ECO] Sim cannot own/sell dumpster Full Wood Jacket Bike

★★ Guide

I also have this problem. Happens with every item found in the dumpsters for me. A quick work around I found is to have the sim ride the bike onto your home lot, then move it within build mode. It forces to game to think your sim owns it.

Message 2 of 14 (4,585 Views)

Champion
@thefailedbeta Thanks that has worked for me with one of the bikes. For 4 other bikes if I left them on a public lot and they were returned to her inventory a few times, eventually it accepted she owned them. For 7 other bikes (as the total is getting ever more ridiculous) nothing has worked. They are all stuck on public lots now, not returned to the inventory and I assume they are lost to her now.
Message 3 of 14 (4,579 Views)

★★ Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this (dumpster diving) the only way to acquire these specific bikes? Other than grabbing them from debug but that isn't.. you know, "meant" to be a game mechanic. If so, it would be even more important to fix the ownership starting from finding the item. 

I've noticed that once they have the bike in their inventory, the sims might ride it somewhere and sometimes then leave it on the ground and then it's not possible to drag it back to their inventory. Then it's only possible to get the bike back if you ride back to the active lot area and then the bike can be dragged to inventory.

Message 4 of 14 (4,545 Views)

Champion
@siirysiir Hey, yes it is the only way to get them as far as I know and they're much cooler than the regular plain bikes so it is annoying that ownership isn't straightforward.
I've finally managed to get a load of them to sell at my retail lot and sorted ownership by leaving them at a few different public lots a few times. If they didn't automatically return to the inventory I figured out if I rode them home a few times, eventually my Sim owned them. It was proper irritating as it was different with each bike and often didn't work first time. Even after setting some for sale they still popped back in the inventory occasionally till it stuck.
Message 5 of 14 (4,526 Views)

Hero
@simsplayer818 I'm guessing it's the same as this issue but I'm leaving them separate for now: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Debug-item-looted-in-dumpster/td-p/9195865

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 14 (4,498 Views)

Champion
@crinrict Hey there, I'm not familiar with the PC format, I switched solely to console about 14 years ago so I'd not seen that but yes it does look like it could be linked.
Message 7 of 14 (4,487 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [ECO] Sim cannot own/sell dumpster Full Wood Jacket Bike

★★★★★ Apprentice

Just managed to find a bike myself now for one of my Sims. And yes, it was for some reason also not marked as owned by them (as in, the "Put in Inventory" option was greyed out with the usual "Your Sim does not own this" message).

However, I did manage to find another workaround that seems to cause the game to realise that it is indeed supposed to be owned by your finders keepers Sim (causing the aforementioned option to work) by bringing the bike to your lot, have it placed somewhere within your borders, go into build mode, sell it and then undo that.

Message 8 of 14 (3,739 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Yes! This also worked fine in my game! I found a slug in the dumpster and could not pick it up again after placing it in the world as it said my Sim does not own it. Selling it and undoing that worked. My Sim can now put it in their inventory. I noticed that all items from dumpster diving are not marked as owned by the Sim who found it which also makes it impossible to sell those items. It is really frustrating.

I think this is another report with the same issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/ECO-JA-Household-Does-Not-Own-Item/m-p/11428051#M212043

Message 9 of 14 (3,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I've had such a frustrating couple of days trying to add these items to my retail lot from dumpsters again. I have 6 of the bikes found specifically for my outdoorsy store. I've had them in and out of so many inventories so many times but now that's not fixing it. They keep returning to the personal inventory and I keep seeing that my Sim doesn't own them. Even after my Sim sold the retail lot where I'd finally got them to stay on the display. 2 days after selling the store they were returned to her inventory. They must be the most bugged items in the game. Selling them from my inventory and then hitting "undo" will be difficult due to "undo" no longer functioning properly after the January patch that wrecked console controls, but I'll try that tomorrow.

They even popped up in her inventory when she was on vacation in the jungle and it wouldn't allow me to leave them at her vacation home to stop her riding them everywhere. They don't go through the jungle portals and she couldn't put them back in her inventory, so she was trying to ride them through the portals and it wouldn't let her through on the bike.

Message 10 of 14 (2,453 Views)