Re: [OPEN] [ECO] Cricket/bug house isn't harvesting

by kraziefox

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I can also confirm that nurturing works, but for me only once. After that, health starts to decline again, no bio fuel even though it says it’s ready and dead bugs even though they were well fed. Perhaps if you assign a Sim to constantly nurture it might keep working but that’s hardly practical! 

Message 11 of 34 (2,836 Views)

★★★★ Expert

I tested this and had no issues collecting Cricket Flour and Bio Fuel from the Mitey Mitey Home Insect Farm, but have now collected both kinds several times. As long as the Health level for the crickets were Fine, the options to collect were accessible. When the Health level is Declining, they grey out. Bugs need nurturing too Standard smile

Health level: Fine 

bug farm.png

Tooltip for collecting Bio-Fuel, when less than 24 sim hours have passed, and the Health level in the bug farm is Declining. A guess is that Health is the indicator of the farm being "filled with insects".
bio fuel tooltip.png

Message 12 of 34 (2,760 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I have had a Sim 'Nurture' several times in a row and there is no turning around once they are 'Declining'.

I have finally given up on them and simply 'Cleaned Out' my bugs ... the time it takes to 'Nurture' is far too long for zero gains. Another 'bug' in the Eco pack/Patch.
Message 13 of 34 (2,644 Views)

★★★★ Expert

There are several states of health: Dead; Declining; Fine; Growing and Thriving, and the Nurture action on the Insect Farm levels up the health for the insects. I have managed to kill the crickets, and then reviving them, getting them back up to Thriving. 

@kraziefox  If you queue Nurture several times after each other, and hover over the insect farm in between, how many times do you have to nurture before the next health stage is achieved?

Message 14 of 34 (2,533 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure if it helps, but if just took me five Nurtures to get from Fine (state after feeding) back up to thriving. It was about four to five Sim hours. Took two Nurtures to get from Fine to Growing, then three to get from Growing to Thriving.

Message 15 of 34 (2,472 Views)

★ Novice

I can harvest mine ONE time and after that, no matter what I do, they die. Very glitched!

Message 16 of 34 (2,435 Views)

★★★ Novice

I played with this for a while last night. It seems that you need to nurture A LOT. 

I've been thinking of it on a scale of 1 to 10: 

1:Dead

2-5:Declining

6-7: Fine

7-9: Growing

10:Thriving

It seems that once they are in a low declining state Football it takes three/four nurtures to get to fine. And as said in previous posts, once they are at the Fine level your sim can collect the Goods. But! Once they collect the Goods the farm instantly gets knocked down...I'd say 4 levels. For example, if you nurtured (and nurtured and nurtured) and finally got them to Fine, once you collect your farm will instantly go back down to a low Declining. Or! If you have them at Thriving and you then collect the Goods, the farm will then be knocked down to Fine. 

The time for a single "nurture" seems to be about 20ish sim minutes. If you have a single Farm then it's not...terrible. I have two and I do feel like I am having to spend Far too much time nurturing grubs. 

This doesn't seem like a bug, more like the sims team underestimated how boring and time sucking constantly nurturing an insect is. 

Message 17 of 34 (2,402 Views)

★★ Guide

For anyone who needs to see this with their own eyes, Carl has a short (5 minute) youtube video showing what it's like to try to manage 6 bug farms with one sim.  If you prefer text, he also has an article on it, which also provides a link to LittleMsSam's mod that fixes this, for those who are willing to use mods.

Message 18 of 34 (2,333 Views)

★★ Pro

I will second Little Ms Sam's mod. It's in the random mods section I believe. The time it takes to nurture is reduced significantly to what I'd accept as a reasonable amount considering each nurture will boost you up the next health level. So one nurture will take you from say fine to growing. A second from growing to thriving...and then you can ignore them until you want to harvest from them again. It turned a disaster into something you can easily add into your routine. She basically put it where it should have been all along.

Message 19 of 34 (2,303 Views)

★ Guide
@AlliCav Yes to all this. I’ve been experimenting with a family of five Sims and four bug farms. Four Sims nurturing all the time in rotation and one feeding compost kept the farms producing repeatedly. And the Sims with not much time for anything else. So, not a bug but a feature, but one that needs tweaking, please, it’s incredibly tedious and not worth the effort of exhausting your Sims!
Message 20 of 34 (2,282 Views)