Re: Roommates do not stay & social interaction disappears

by Simsporium

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Update: I have found a temporary fix by deleting the bed which were assigned to the roommates, I now have the option to advertise for new roommates. 

Still unsure what happened to the last ones or why I didn’t get any notifications. 

Message 91 of 108 (976 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Has anybody figured this out yet? I'm having the same problem, roommate was fine for 2 days then early morning she had a bath and I got the notification that her needs weren't being met, later on that day she up and moved out. My sim lives in a house in Oasis Springs, there are 2 beds for roomies to choose from, my sim sleeps in a Murphy bed in the living room, a bath and a shower, fully functional kitchen, TV, easel, laptop, microscope, rocket and an observatory, stereo and dance floor, meditation seat, a yoga mat and a bookshelf. I don't know what she possibly have been complaining about! My sim has a dog but he never bothered her and she barely acknowledged him. The house is clean, apart from the puddles of water whenever someone gets a drink - thank you Paranormal update - but I'm constantly cleaning those up. The traits I discovered about her was foodie and paranoid, so unless that has something to do with it, I really don't understand why she was unhappy. The only thing I can think of is something that was missing from the lot, like a pool, musical instruments etc but she spent all her time in the bedroom on the laptop, occasionally she would read a book or hide under the covers of her chosen bed - her paranoia at work I assume. If it is the lack of such things though, can I just say, that's ridiculous, we shouldn't have to have such things in order to have a roommate and it needs to be made clearer what exactly it is they are looking for. I would prefer it if - when they are accepted as a roommate - they gave a list of things they require, the same way they ask for space to put their things. Or for them to not accept being a roommate due to the lack of such and such. I have pics of the notifications but the files are too big lol. 

Message 92 of 108 (873 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [DU] Troubles getting/keeping roommates

★★★ Apprentice

I have the same problem! I had roommates in an off-campus house I built in Britechester and that worked fine but after Uni I moved to Windenburg and chose 6 roommates to move into a huge house with me.

I gave them everything imaginable but 3 of them complained their needs weren't being met. One of them felt better after I fixed the bath/shower but the other 2 left and I couldn't understand why. Here is what they had:-

• Their own rooms
  • Good quality double beds. These differed for each roommate, purely for cosmetic reasons but perhaps this could be something to look into
  • Empty side tables and drawers as well as wardrobes
  • Large bedrooms with plenty of space around the bed
  • One bedroom had a vanity table in it and actually she was one of the girls who complained their needs weren't being met. She liked music and art and I saw her photographing things too. She also had the squeamish trait and I did notice her cleaning up quite a lot so this could be why!
  • Desks with the best laptops in each room. Plus 2 computers downstairs
  • Their own en-suites with the best showers or shower/bath combos
  • 2 downstairs bathrooms with best showers
  • A huge kitchen with the best appliances with an abundance of food in the two fridges
  • A swimming pool
  • Lounge chairs
  • Outside table and chairs
  • A huge dining room
  • A nice living room with lots of sofas and chairs, a fireplace, a big TV, a gaming console
  • A thermostat set to warmer and cooler on different days
  • A bar
  • A BBQ
  • 2 easels
  • 2 treadmills and weights machine with TV
  • A football to kick about
  • A games console in the living room and in one of the bedrooms as the guy was a geek although he never played it
  • A photo studio
  • A guitar
  • A greenhouse with plants in
  • TVs everywhere
  • Speakers throughout the house
  • Every skill book in the game in the bookshelves
  • Artwork on all the walls
  • A tea brewer
  • Bins everywhere, including an outside bin
  • A recycler
  • A fabricator
  • A card table
  • A chess table
  • Bicycles that they never claimed

I didn't use move objects at all and have no mods installed. I have every pack in the game.

I've looked through forums to try and find a work-around and someone suggested shift clicking on the roommate if you get the dialogue box that "their needs aren't being met" and cheat need - make happy but this didn't work for me. They still ended up leaving. I ended up getting so annoyed that I just added all roommates to my household in the end but this isn't ideal.

I think the things to investigate are dirty surroundings vs roommate traits, the hidden traits roommates get, e.g. Big wardrobe, neat, slob etc. The types of objects required for individual roommates based on their aspirations and traits. The fact that they may have to share some things like treadmills, musical instruments, easels. If for example my squeamish sim did a load of cleaning, which made her sick, then she couldn't get on an easel, or play guitar and then her toilet broke. This may just be enough to send a sim over the edge? 

I also think 7 sims sharing a fridge is a problem, so I put 2 fridges in but they can't use both at the same time. I'm happy to buy each one a fridge of their own if it meant they could all access it at the same time. 

Message 93 of 108 (807 Views)

Roommates never appear in Discover University

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.17.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Explore University
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have extra beds in your home and place an advertisement for roommates.
What happens when the bug occurs? Potential roommates never appear.
What do you expect to see? From everything I've read they should arrive at the household during the day, but this never happens.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I have tried repairing the game, removing custom content, starting a new game, removing all expansions except Discover University, reinstalling the sims including deleting the folder in documents, installing the sims on a computer that has never had origin installed and nothing resolved the problem.

Message 94 of 108 (817 Views)

Re: Roommates never appear in Discover University

Hero
@Woogoo336 Merging your report with the main one for troubles with getting/keeping room mates.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 95 of 108 (775 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

In response to what some others are saying, it does seem that roommates sometimes make unreasonable demands. I have a mod by TitanNano that allows for making a sim selectable and controllable without adding them to the family or interfering with their roles or activities. One of my roommates (that I had to add manually) complained that her needs weren't being met. I made her selectable and found that her social, energy and hygiene needs were in the yellow but everything else was green. I made her take a shower and go to bed and made her unselectable. A few hours later she decided to move out while still sleeping. Other than that, roommates seem to have the same problem as other sims in that they tend to neglect their needs when left alone. My lot has 7 bathrooms and showers but occasionally I'll see one walking around filthy or having bladder failure. 

It might be best for EA to adjust how roommate sims decide to move out. Ignore all the sims needs except hunger for moveout purposes and flag everything else by whether or not a critical object is accessible and not broken.

Update: I just had a sim who complained that he can't sleep and there's no beds and then moved out all while sleeping in his bed. I woke him up and selected him to check his needs.

Message 96 of 108 (752 Views)

Champion

@Woogoo336  Thank you for the details you added and the troubleshooting you did! I expect they will be helpful to EA for looking into this issue. 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 97 of 108 (738 Views)

★★★ Guide

I would like to ask a simple question:

Is it ever going to be fixed or is it by design that you need a human bed for your pet if you want to have a roommate and a pet in same household?

Message 98 of 108 (719 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here's an extra bug report but not a very official one. This is because I'm almost sure this is caused by custom content, but still causes a basegame problem with roommates.

If a roommate dies, their ghost remains as a roommate. This is a problem because they take up a roommate slot even after they are deleted from the game and this can only be fixed by split from household and move a family member to a new lot and then ask the other family members to move in with them thus destroying the old household.

All sims should be removed as a roommate on death and the system might need to be failsafed for sim deletion, since I can imagine a few ways this might happen without mods. Such as a spirit being released or fading away if you asked them to be a roommate as a ghost.

Message 99 of 108 (681 Views)

Roommates

★★★★★ Novice

I have tried this across multiple saves. I'll post an ad for roommates, potential roommates show up and I select them to be a roommate. They ask me to clear space around the bed for them to put their things. I've tried placing nightstands, dressers, tables, and just having an empty room with nothing but the bed. I am POSITIVE there are enough adult beds in this household (one for every sim and pet, including toddler/baby sims). I got frustrated and ultimately gave up. Is there something special I'm supposed to do? 

Message 100 of 108 (672 Views)