Re: [OPEN] [DU] Troubles getting/keeping roommates

by AutumnThree

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Discover University Housing Issues with Roommates

[ Edited ]
Champion

@alexis-pain44 

Occasionally you may need to reset/debug your roommate. It’s a thing. If the roommate is all dirty and miserable, not moving/frozen, not taking care of their needs, has something stuck in their hands, etc., you may need to resort to cheats to help them out.

• Before resorting to cheats you can try exiting the lot and re-entering it. This in-and-of itself oftentimes resets glitchy Sims.
  • You can reset/debug the roommate.
  • You can try the  ‘make happy‘ cheat on your roommate. This can be very helpful in getting them back in their right mind – and hopefully taking care of their needs. Keep an eye on them and see if they start behaving normally and take care of themselves.

There are some roommate tips at this link if you want to read more: https://sherigr.com/gameplay-tips/roommates-sims-4/

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 81 of 108 (2,560 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Discover University Housing Issues with Roommates

★★★ Expert

I'm not 100% sure but I think the new environmental scoring system with Eco Lifestyle could be making it even harder to keep roommates happy in a regular residential lot. My Sim had the same roommate for many game-weeks and she was always a good and happy roommate-- she slept in her bed just fine, used the bathroom & took showers, etc. She seemed happy with DU dorm-style furnishings and I never had to use any cheats. After I downloaded EL the roommate started doing that bored "sighs" idle animation and started to complain about the living conditions in my Sim's house. Everything was clean, fixed, upgraded, etc., but after only a few days she said the living conditions were intolerable and she left. I think she was having some kind of a reaction to a negative environmental score. I've given up on having roommates in residential lots until I can experiment some more or learn more about this from other players.

Message 82 of 108 (2,498 Views)

★★★ Novice
@amywatt27 Same here! All packs installed except for bowling 😑
Message 83 of 108 (2,467 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@amywatt27 It seems to happen to me if I lock the doors to keep roommates our of a bedroom or a certain bathroom. I could have ten bathrooms, but say no to one, and they go nuts.
Message 84 of 108 (2,417 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have this problem too. Did anyone ever find a solution? All my roommates start to bake a cake and then stop and leave the mixing bowl and now they all have half made food all over their apartments. So I think they are all hungry. I have no idea how to fix it. Been messing with my game for two days. I finally downloaded mcc so I can cheat their needs.

Message 85 of 108 (2,351 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, the room mates leaving food and always baking cakes may be caused by a NAP if you have the Foodies Unite NAP running.  X

Message 86 of 108 (2,274 Views)

★★ Novice

I know it's not ideal, but I'm keeping my room mates by cheating!  I had a massive house, every bedroom was en-suite and everything that could be upgraded was and the room mates still kept leaving.  So I put the testingcheats cheat on, pressed shift and clicked on a room mate and choose Cheat Need>Disable Needs Decay and also Make Happy.  As soon as I chose Make Happy the Sim said thanks for improving things and they now feel they can cope with their life.  Standard smile 

Message 87 of 108 (2,274 Views)

★★★ Pro
@amywatt27 What is the exact popup message are you getting when the roommates move out?
Message 88 of 108 (2,097 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@amywatt27 I have had this issue since the very beginning of University coming out. Is EA even listening to us? I can't have roommates the normal way. I can only have them by adding them to my household and then never controlling them. What is the fun in that though? They won't even help pay for rent or put their own cute decorations in their room autonomously. Most of my sim roommates leave in less than 25 sim hours even if they have perfect living conditions and have a high relationship with my sim. Roommates are unplayable. They only work in dorms that my sim doesn't own. I really hope EA wakes up to all the major problems the game has. It's not like they are blind or deaf! We expect better for all the money we pay!
Message 89 of 108 (2,050 Views)

Roommates do not stay & social interaction disappears

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.57.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University Island Living Get Famous Seasons Cats & Dogs City Living Get Together Get to Work Jungle Adventure Parenthood Dine Out Outdoor Retreat My First Pet Toddler Stuff Bowling Night Vintage Glamour
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Advertise for roommates 2. Accept 2 x roommates 3. Play for a few days 4. My roommates disappeared after 2 days of living on my lot 5. Invite to hangout at current lot 6. My social interaction for roommates had disappeared here
What happens when the bug occurs? Roommates do not stay living on my lot. Social interaction for roommates (kick out / accept roommate) disappears when the npc sim is invited to hangout at current lot
What do you expect to see? Roommates continuing to live on the lot until I kick them out. Social interactions to remain. Notification if the NPC had decided to move out. Notification about roommates needs or complaints.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or similar, I got my sims to advertise for 2 roommates. These spaces were filled by 2 NPC’s and the new roommates were around for a couple of days. 

My sims were just starting their university term (from home, not on a university campus/lot) & hadn’t travelled or done anything off their home lot. 

I did not have any notifications about the roommates needs or complaints whilst they lived on my lot, which where I’ve read other questions this seems to be something I should be seeing. 

After the roommates had been there for a couple of days I then noticed they didn’t seem to be anywhere on the lot, not in their rooms outside or surrounding, and when I looked for the sims on the relationships tab I had an option to invite to hangout at current lot - which I thought was strange as they were supposed to be living here! 

When I invited them round to see if they would stay or see if I could kick them out then invite them to be roommates again I noticed the roommates option on the social interactions was completely gone, and in my sims phone I cannot advertise for roommates again. 
The beds are still assigned to the roommates that were here so I have no idea what has happened or how to fix this! 

Hoping someone can suggest a fix for this! 

Message 90 of 108 (1,912 Views)