Re: Sim Fails Class Despite Doing All Necessary Work

by AlHollandiyah

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [DU] Sims fail university despite meeting all criteria

★★ Guide

Important question for people failing classes: Did you perchance use the cheat to get accepted in all distinguished majors? Because I used that one a lot previously, and this time I gave my sim (as a matter of testing) all skills maxed before applying so she got accepted to all of them without the cheat. And lo and behold, 12 straight A+ classes.

Other then not using the cheat I went to every class early, took notes in every one of them, and made sure not to turn in any paper or presentation until I did my third and last round of homework for it (i.e. after the last class). I'm still not sure what gives, because in my previous runs I did the same, but it is worth running more tests for.

Message 71 of 147 (2,572 Views)

★ Pro

I just went back through every game file looking for those which do have an effect on your grade:

Visit Office Hours: 4/h
Art Society Extra Credit: +3 (Art History and Fine Arts only)
Debate Extra Credit: +3 (Comm,Hist,Lang&Lit,Psy,Eco)
Brainiacs Debate Extra Credit: +3
Bot Savants Extra Credit: +3 (Computer Science,Physics,Villainy)
Ask for Higher Grade: +21 (if success)
Submit Term Paper: +12.75 (poor), +19.125 (normal), +25.5 (outstanding)
Final Presentation: +14 (LQ), +21 (MQ), +28 (HQ)
Final Exam Cheat Failure: -10
Final Exam Cheat Success: +12
Homework Cheat Failure: -8
Term Paper Cheat Failure: -12
Term Paper Cheat Success: +25.5
Write Term Paper: 1.5/h (1/h if already outstanding)
Presentation - Capture/Practice/Refinde: 1/h
Study for (Book/Research Machine): 6/h (steadily dropping to 2.4/h once score reaches 50)
Study for (Computer): 3/h (steadily dropping to 1.2/h once score reaches 50)
Course: 16 (attending 75% = full work day) + 14*homework completion rate, x3 if focused, x1.5 while taking notes

Skill increase bonus: 0-33

Max skill bonus: +9

Buffs
Loved by Sprites: x2
Surreal Focus: x2
Laser Locus: x1.5
Academic Success: x1.25

90-100 A (90-93 A-, 97-100 A+)
80-90 B (...)
70-80 C
60-70 D
0-60 F

Somewhere on the official forums I also posted all prof messages and what they actually mean.

Message 72 of 147 (2,554 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@kusurusu wrote:

I just went back through every game file looking for those which do have an effect on your grade:

Visit Office Hours: 4/h
Art Society Extra Credit: +3 (Art History and Fine Arts only)
Debate Extra Credit: +3 (Comm,Hist,Lang&Lit,Psy,Eco)
Brainiacs Debate Extra Credit: +3
Bot Savants Extra Credit: +3 (Computer Science,Physics,Villainy)
Ask for Higher Grade: +21 (if success)
Final Presentation: +14 (LQ), +21 (MQ), +28 (HQ)
Final Exam Cheat Failure: -10
Final Exam Cheat Success: +12
Homework Cheat Failure: -8
Term Paper Cheat Failure: -12
Term Paper Cheat Success: +25.5
Write Term Paper: 1.5/h (1/h if already outstanding)
Presentation - Capture/Practice/Refinde: 1/h
Study for (Book/Research Machine): 6/h (steadily dropping to 2.4/h once score reaches 50)
Study for (Computer): 3/h (steadily dropping to 1.2/h once score reaches 50)
Course: 16 (attending 75% = full work day) + 14*homework completion rate, x3 if focused, x1.5 while taking notes

Skill increase bonus: 0-33

Max skill bonus: +9

Buffs
Loved by Sprites: x2
Surreal Focus: x2
Laser Locus: x1.5
Academic Success: x1.25

90-100 A (90-93 A-, 97-100 A+)
80-90 B (...)
70-80 C
60-70 D
0-60 F

Somewhere on the official forums I also posted all prof messages and what they actually mean.

Thank you @kusurusu  This explains a lot. I see now why my slacker Sim got straight A's. He was a successful cheat who left a lot of offerings to the school statue giving him a focused buff.

Message 73 of 147 (2,537 Views)

Sim Fails Class Despite Doing All Necessary Work

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? unsure
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except stranger vile, tiny living, backyard stuff, spooky stuff, and cool kitchen stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? probably just take a bunch of classes
What happens when the bug occurs? my sim fails the course no matter how hard she works, she does all her homework, studies, writes excellent quality term papers, then gets an F in the course. she's level 10 in the skill. She's failed the class twice already and is on probation currently. It's currently the only class she needs.
What do you expect to see? I expect my sim to get an A in the class she studies and works hard for.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

it only happens with the one violin class

Message 74 of 147 (2,534 Views)

Hero
@Allison333333333 I merged your post with existing thread on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 75 of 147 (2,501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@kusurusu  That is an impressive list. However, if the numbers you mention there are what affects the class "career performance" percentage then there is one value that probably SHOULD be what you mention, but isn't.

I have done a lot of tests using the 'Show Sim Info' mod to track what each activity added to the class' career performance, and a term paper would never get more then about 12,75. And I always hand them in after the popup telling me it can't be improved anymore, so that would be excellent or outstanding. That probably explains why the term paper class fails much more frequently then the other ones do.

Edit: I also noticed that in one of my runs I got A+ despite the class career performance percentage being near 83, as well as receiving an A to C with the performance being 100%, so I really wonder which data is the one that will count for the final mark. I haven't found any other useful data with the mod that I could track for marks.

Message 76 of 147 (2,487 Views)

★ Pro
@AlHollandiyah could you please check statistic_Career_University_TermPaper_CourseA/B/C/D shortly before submitting? Value gets removed while doing so or when you complete your course (and it might be too early).

As for your grade jumping from 83% to A+, maybe skill boost is added at the end.
Message 77 of 147 (2,477 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@kusurusu  That is exactly what I did. I checked those with the Show Sim Info mod before and after every class, doing homework, making the initial paper / presentation, improving said paper / presentation, handing them in and doing the final exam. I kept track of all of those for 2 complete semesters, also trying different things. The exams and the presentation got around 28 and 29 procent each everytime and the paper got stuck at a max of 12.8% added to those stats. I checked which class (ABCD) was which by comparing the workdays and hours noted in the same class. Do you know the Show Sim Info mod? It is really very useful for testing stuff like this.

Edit, you can find all of the data in this reply, also I think you are right in skill gain being added to the 78%. I also noticed that "Listen actively" gains about half of the perfomance as "Take notes". It seems that if you want high marks you can't get very far without taking notes all the time, the other options are simply not viable or too risky.

Message 78 of 147 (2,463 Views)

★ Pro
@AlHollandiyah Term paper uses a different statistic than your course grade and should be valued 300 or higher (if outstanding).
Message 79 of 147 (2,452 Views)

★★ Guide

@kusurusu   Ah, Show Sim Info shows all kinds of data but the only one I can actually track is Class Career Performance. The rest is which days, what times, and how many 'coworkers' you have on each level. How do you keep track of that information?

Message 80 of 147 (2,355 Views)