by Simmiller

Original Post

[OPEN] [DU] [CD] Pets/TV/Basketball/ .. distracting from work stations

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them (every single one)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? try to craft anything on the robotics station (university) with a pet around.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim abandons crafing robotics item to play with laser pointer or interact with pet (cat in my case) every single time.
What do you expect to see? I expect my sim to be able to finish crafting the robotics item without getting distracted.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. University update.

see above

Message 1 of 46 (4,151 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] [CD] Pets distracting from robotics station

★★ Novice
@crinrictMmeFish94 Experiencing similar issues. My sims don't have a pet, so they are distracted by literally anything else. Electronics seem to take preference, but other sims also prove a distraction. Queueing the same task multiple times *sometimes* prevents distraction. Problem only seemed to occur when adding a robotics station to a home lot for a Computer Engineering sim. The robotics station at Foxbury Commons did not seem to have this issue for me.
Message 2 of 46 (4,021 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] [CD] Pets distracting from robotics station

★ Apprentice
@chewablebook I'm having the exact same issue. At this rate, it's going to take forever to get experience on the station, or complete any projects.
Message 3 of 46 (3,984 Views)

Sim abandons work at the robotics station and erases all progress

★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Get Famous, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Island Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Discover University, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Dine Out, Spa Day, Laundry Day, and Movie Hangout
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim use the robotics station and perform any sort of task. Specifically, tune up or upgrade a robot.
What happens when the bug occurs? My sim will use it for a bit then leave and go do something else. This becomes especially frustrating when I want them to upgrade a bot or repair/tune up. Once they leave to do something else, all the parts I collected get deleted and I have to start over.
What do you expect to see? The sim should continue using the station until they are finished, you tell them to stop, or they get electrocuted.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Like I said, my sim will use it for a bit then for no reason they will stop what they're doing, leave and go do something else. I can tell when it's going to happen because I'll see a thought bubble pop up over their heads and then they stop what they're doing to do something else. This becomes especially frustrating when I want them to upgrade a bot or repair/tune up. Once they leave to do something else, all the parts I collected get deleted and I have to start over.
The only way I've figured out how to bypass it is if I ask them to upgrade/tinker with the robot and then queue them to do another task afterwards (play chess, use the toilet, anything) For some reason, that blocks them from abandoning work but it's really annoying to remember to do it every time. I saw another forum where someone says that the bug got fixed, but it might only be working for some people. I hope this bug gets fixed soon, getting my sim to level up in robotics have been incredibly frustrating!

Message 4 of 46 (4,031 Views)

Re: Sim abandons work at the robotics station and erases all progress

Champion (Retired)

@LazyCatCorner 

Mods and custom content (CC) can be fun to use but unfortunately they cause unexpected results.
They need to be updated by the creators to continue to play nice with the game.
It would be a good idea to test on a new save with a clean folder.
The simplest way is to do the following steps:
Rename your The Sims4 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to Sims4_Backup
Start the game without adding anything back as a test.
The game will automatically create fresh versions of all the folders/files.
If the game works correctly you will need to test your mods /custom content (CC) to see which they are causing the problem.

Additional instructions are in the link below:
Troubleshooting tips
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199

- EQ Avid Sims Player
#EQCreations
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 5 of 46 (3,991 Views)

Hero
@LazyCatCorner I merged your post with another thread on this. The main report was for pets but TVs also seem to disrupt stuff as posted here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Sim-goes-to-watch-tv-while-cooking-even-when-hungr...

Is it anything specific for you ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 46 (3,953 Views)

★ Apprentice
@crinrict Oh, wow! That’s the exact same problem! My sim does work on the station then decides to watch TV, too. Now that I think of it, it seems to only be TV. They might have left to do something else but I don’t remember. Watching TV seems to be the most common one, though. Thank you! I’ll keep the thread updated if I learn something new about the bug.
Message 7 of 46 (3,928 Views)

★ Pro

Vanilla game. New Save. New TS4 folder. No mods.

I was looking into something else, but I did notice that my Sim seemed unable to complete any builds/upgrades on the robotics station on his home lot. Any parts in his inventory disappeared and had to be replaced. 

Just checked and this does not seem to be happening at the Commons. However if he's electrocuted doing an upgrade at the Commons he also loses the parts in his inventory. 

Message 8 of 46 (3,910 Views)

★ Apprentice
@DizzyDee-K Someone mentioned this might only be a bug if your sim is a computer engineer (a degree my sim has). Does that by any chance have a relation to your problem? That might narrow down what’s going on.
Message 9 of 46 (3,906 Views)

★ Pro

@LazyCatCorner wrote:
@DizzyDee-KSomeone mentioned this might only be a bug if your sim is a computer engineer (a degree my sim has). Does that by any chance have a relation to your problem? That might narrow down what’s going on.

Thanks. He's a Biology student taking an elective in Robotics. 

Message 10 of 46 (3,903 Views)