Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [CoL] Animal dying causes Reaper Loop/Reaper getting stuck

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have all packs installed
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a animal be an elder and when the notification about it is nearing their death. Travel away and then come back to the lot
What happens when the bug occurs? One of my chickens was supposed to die. But the grim reaper wouldn’t reap and just came back every now and then to stare said chicken down and repeat that over and over. I can’t enter buildi mode or travel anywhere because “a sim is dying”
What do you expect to see? The reaper should just reap the souls he is supposed to and leave nearly imitedly
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I removed all custom content I had and the issue still occurred. It’s even tried to close the game and reinstall.

It doesn’t happen every time a animal dies but when it does happen I’m basically stuck on my lot and just keep hanging out with my new BFF the reaper!

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, adjusted title

Message 1 of 56 (26,859 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [CoL] Animal dying causes Reaper Loop

Hero

Grim Reaper now possesses the emotional fortitude to deal with the death of two animals at the same time. Life can be harsh buddy, I know.

Fixed in Patch 1.84.171/1.52

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 56 of 56 (17,519 Views)

All Replies

Re: [CoL] Travelling to other lot while animal is dying causes Reaper Loop

[ Edited ]
Hero

@luciferfirstborn Is the travel away important or does it happen if you don't do it ?

Do you only have issues with animals or also Sims ? 

Have you tested one lot only or several (space issue ?)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 56 (26,815 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had this yesterday and it took me ages to figure it out! My chicken was dying so the grim reaper appeared, but he just stood there or floated about causing my game to stick because of the 'sim is dying' message.

Basically, I zoomed out and looked around the areas outside my lot and saw a bunch of foxes surrounding to elder foxes that were laying down and looked dead. I opened the cheat dialogue box with ctrl + shift + c and typed 'testingcheats true' to turn cheats on, and then I shift/clicked on the 'dead' foxes and clicked on reset. It reset the foxes so they came back to life, and then the camera went to the grim reaper who finally took the chicken and my game returned to normal and I was able to save again etc. 

Message 3 of 56 (26,725 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much! I had no idea why the reaper wouldn't just take the chicken and then the fox. I guess the foxes can't die at the same time? 

Message 4 of 56 (26,694 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have no idea, i think it just might be a glitch. Has it fixed your game?

Message 5 of 56 (26,658 Views)

Grim Reaper Bug

★ Novice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? EP09:1.assets.ml-ep09.100
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion and game packs except for Dream Home Decorator. The Stuff Packs - Laundry Day, My First Pet Stuff, Nifty Knitting, Paranormal Stuff Pack, Tiny Living, Toddler Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When an animal dies (including foxes, chickens, cows, llamas, and household pets such as dogs and cats) the Grim Reaper will spawn on the lot however will not finish the process of killing the animal. Therefore, the grim reaper gets stuck on the lot, sims are not able to travel and I am unable to save the game.
What happens when the bug occurs? Unable to save the game, unable to have sims travel, sims get stuck and I need to reset them by using cheats.
What do you expect to see? The grim reaper finish his task, game returns to normal functioning.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Most recent patch and after installing the new expansion pack, cottage living.

When an animal dies (including foxes, chickens, cows, llamas, and household pets such as dogs and cats) the Grim Reaper will spawn on the lot however will not finish the process of killing the animal. Therefore, the grim reaper gets stuck on the lot, sims are not able to travel and I am unable to save the game.

Message 6 of 56 (26,554 Views)

NPC Fox Deaths Breaking Game

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Platform:Mac
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.146.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, City Living, Cottage Living, Eco Lifestyle, Get Famous, Get to Work, Get Together, Island Living, Seasons, Snow Escape, Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Parenthood, Spa Day, Kids Room Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Nifty Knitting Stuff Pack, Paranormal Stuff Pack, and Cottage Living Expansion Pack (this is somehow distinct from "Cottage Living" since I still have the ability to purchase the latter on Origin for some reason, not sure if that's relevant)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Unfortunately the only way I know to find the bug is to sit around and wait for some NPC fox to die.
What happens when the bug occurs? I think what's happening is that the game is treating any NPC fox death in the larger forest area of the new world that comes with Cottage Living the same way it would a playable character death in the household, and it's kind of breaking my game. The first time this happened, the camera suddenly panned all away from my cottage, all the way across the forest, and focused on some wild fox eating a berry from a bush. I didn't stick around to see what was happening that time since I was so confused, I just re-centered the camera on my cottage. When I got back there, the grim reaper was hanging out. I thought one of my chickens had died, but they were all there and accounted for. After a few minutes, the grim reaper just left, but I was still stuck in a game state where I couldn't leave the lot or save (due to the fact that, allegedly, a sim was currently dying, even though no one was). After a bit, I just gave up and quit the game, and returned to my last save. It didn't happen again in that save file. Today though, on a different save file, something similar happened: the camera suddenly panned away from the cottage, all the way across the forest to a wild fox with some purplish light coming out of it, the same color as a Sim's soul when it's being reaped. But it was just...laying there. Not even clickable. When I returned to my lot, the grim reaper was not there, but I was once again stuck in that "can't save or leave lot because sim is actively dying" thing.
What do you expect to see? NPC animal deaths to not be treated as sim deaths that never complete.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The one that came with the release of Cottage Living

In reference to mods, I had some active the second time, but none the first time, so I don't think they're playing a role here.

Message 7 of 56 (26,542 Views)

★ Apprentice
@megburchell Thank you! I had this happen as well. Once I did this, Grimmy reaped my elder chicken then went on his way.
Message 8 of 56 (26,496 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I currently have this problem, but the fox disappeared directly after dying, but Grim didn’t show up until later, so there’s no bodies to reap and he’s stuck on my lot.

Message 9 of 56 (26,464 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I had the same problem today.

After 48Simh with Reaper in my livingroom whom is doing nothing and whom giving me no possibility to interact with him I came to an idea. I used Shift+click and added him to my family, and right after, I removed him.  The Reaper left and a new one appeared who came for a chicken. 

I hope this helps :-)

Message 10 of 56 (26,329 Views)