[OPEN] Children won't inherit their parents nose (bug in genetics)

by BumblebeeCat9

Original Post

Highlighted

[OPEN] Children won't inherit their parents nose (bug in genetics)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Suomi
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them, except Batuu, Kitchen stuff, Luxury Party Stuff and Patio Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go into CAS. Create a sim, choose a nose preset or use a premade. Adjust the width of the nose, make it wider. Then create children using genetics or in game.
What happens when the bug occurs? The children of the sim you created will only inherit the default preset form of their parent's nose, not their actual nose (that you wanted to be wider).
What do you expect to see? I want my sim child to inherit their parent's nose, not a preset that none of their parents have. The bug doesn't seem to occur when you make the parent sim's nose longer (in side profile), only if you make it wider. Edit: let me add this. In genetics I believe there’s a 50% chance that the child will inherit one of their parent’s nose (or any feature). I understand that not all the time do they inherit a specific parent’s nose. This issue is WHEN a kid DOES inherit let’s say mom’s nose: then the nose will be the default preset, not the width-adjusted version that their mom actually has.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I noticed this issue after the paranormal patch.

31.1.2021_20.42.45.png

Here's a parent sim - an EA premade, whose nose I made wider.

31.1.2021_20.44.38.png

Here's one of their daughters made with genetics. None of the kids inherit the wide nose. This is the default preset of the nose that the mom has. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 21 (4,146 Views)

Re: Children won't inherit their parents nose (bug in genetics)

★ Guide

I've noticed the game doesn't merge genetics like previous games, as in it will only give either parents feature for each parts. That being said, I had a child with Lilith Vatore in my game and the child was born with her exact nose (though it's not wide at all), so maybe it's got to do with the "play with genetics" tool, did you use two sims with a wide nose ? If not, it can just be that the child inherited the other parent's nose. There's no dominant or recessive traits (as we can see with haircolour) so it's always a 50/50 chance.

Message 2 of 21 (4,123 Views)

★★ Guide

@Marinuttonen wrote:

I've noticed the game doesn't merge genetics like previous games, as in it will only give either parents feature for each parts. That being said, I had a child with Lilith Vatore in my game and the child was born with her exact nose (though it's not wide at all), so maybe it's got to do with the "play with genetics" tool, did you use two sims with a wide nose ? If not, it can just be that the child inherited the other parent's nose. There's no dominant or recessive traits (as we can see with haircolour) so it's always a 50/50 chance.

I understand that. However this is not the issue here. This happens when child DOES inherit the nose of THAT parent whose nose has been widened from the preset. If the parents (whose nose the kid gets) has been made wider, the child inherits only the preset form of that nose. Of course half of the kids inherit other parents nose but that’s not what I meant. 

Message 3 of 21 (4,117 Views)

★ Guide

One way to test for this bug is to take two identical but unrelated sims into create-a-sim and play with genetics to create their child. I did this by pulling the same sim from the gallery twice into the same household. If the game is running properly, their offspring (if the same gender) should be pretty much identical to the parent(s) save for hairstyle and eyebrows. If your bug is present, their offspring will look almost the same as their parent(s) except for the smaller nose. I couldn't personally recreate the bug you note, however; is it possible it occurs with a certain nose preset and not others?

Message 4 of 21 (4,041 Views)

★★ Guide
@SerenaBeanie Good idea. I will test that and post the results.

So for I’ve tried multiple nose presets (not all of them, maybe around 10). I get the bug every time. I’ve tested with male and female parent sims, their offspring will never get the wider nose, only the preset. However, if I create a twin of the parent, then they will inherit the wider nose. It just doesn’t pass on to their children.
Message 5 of 21 (4,016 Views)

★ Guide

Interesting! So when I used the same sim twice, a female sim, to parent a child, the child proved identical to the parent(s). However, when I swapped the gender of one of the identical parent sims to male (without changing anything else), the child was not identical to the parents. The nose was smaller than the maxed out sliders of the parents - though it didn't entirely reset to the preset shape for me.

Specifically, the overall nose size slider from the front view of the sim (not detail mode), which looks like a plus with little arrows on the ends of each line, was not maxed out as it was for the parents.

I tested for the sims in the attached image with the preset nose for female sims (presets are in a different order for male and female sims) left column, first row; bug was repeated with the preset in the right column first row and the preset in the left column third row. There does seem to be an issue with the slider I specified (at least) and how genetics are calculated for a sim with different gender parents.

Message 6 of 21 (3,989 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I did another genetic test. I made two identical female parent sims, so that theoretically their offspring should be their clone as well. 

I used another premade sim as a base, I used the nose slider to max the width. As you can see from pics below, the child's nose is not the one both their parents have. 

Parent 1 is first, parent 2 second, child 3rd. 4th picture has a twin sibling of other parent, and as you can see the genetics will work only when making a twin.

parent1.pngparent2.pngchild.pngtwinofaparent.png

This problem is really bothering me because genetics is my favourite feature of the game, I enjoy seeing which parent my children will take after and what combos I will get when generations pass. I have a very cute sim with a wider nose and none of their kids will inherit the feature. So this is quite game breaking for me because when a baby ages up into a toddler I will have to go into CAS and see what they look like as a young adult and then edit their nose to resemble their parents.

edit: let me add that game repair did nothing to this problem. 

Message 7 of 21 (3,961 Views)

★ Guide

I tested this in live mode with 9 children, and had the same issue.

Message 8 of 21 (3,929 Views)

★★★ Guide
@BumblebeeCat9 I had the same issue. I downloaded a merman sim from the gallery whose features had been modified. Some of the children ended up with lips and nose that didn't match either parent. I'm assuming because it was his lips or nose but at the default settings.
Message 9 of 21 (3,926 Views)

★★ Guide

Please click me toi if you notice this issue, orherwise EA won’t pay attention to it. 

Message 10 of 21 (3,899 Views)