[FIXED] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

by SarisenL92

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

★★★ Apprentice
@SimInfinity Mine who had this glitch as a child, had no issues gaining skills as teens.

If any child had an issue, I reset child skill to level 9, then was able to gain the corresponding adult skills that are possible after maxing it to 10 again (I did not save, as it was suspected this could trigger the glitch again, UNTIL I had hit each skill so it registered). When they aged to teen, they were able to continue building their skills.
Message 61 of 73 (1,600 Views)

Message 62 of 73 (1,525 Views)

★ Guide

I've discovered that it's correct, that you can't save until your child picks up the adult skill.  I also just figured out, no loading screens either!  Just like with the Acting career bug.  My neighborhood doesn't have a fishing spot, so I had to travel to try fishing, and then couldn't get it.  So when I thought of trying it with no loading screens, I had her go to the park, then reverted her to Mental level 9, played chess till she maxed again, then tried fishing.  She got it this time!  And then played a game on her phone, and got Video Gaming.

Message 63 of 73 (1,430 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've got the same issue except it's the fishing skill. I'm on Xbox too, wish they would sort out these issues instead of releasing more content that's most likely buggy too.

Message 64 of 73 (1,327 Views)

Re: Cannot improve or gain new skills

★★ Guide

Same problem here - my kids can't gain skills. Both have maxed out the child skills, which is SUPPOSED to unlock the ability to learn certain adult skills, like violin, logic, etc....but they can't learn or gain any of those skills. 

One child can gain charisma and the other can gain video gaming/pet training, but new skills cannot be "learned." The little girl plays the violin every day and the violin skill doesn't even show up in her skill panel. Same for the little boy with chess - he plays chess every day with maxed "mental" skill, but the logic skill doesn't show up in his skill panel at all. 

Skill gain/skill learning for kids is broken, aside from the basic child only skills (mental, motor, social, and creativity). None of the other skills can be learned by kids. 

Message 65 of 73 (1,184 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Just found out that in my game also children are not able to build certain skills after maxing the child skills. Charisma seems to be working ok, violin, mischief and logic not. 

Really hoping for a fix. 

//read the thread again after posting and yea, the child in question had already charisma skill before rotating back to this household. 

Message 66 of 73 (1,081 Views)

Kids not building adult skills after maxing child skills

★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.66.139.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Max out a child's skills.
What happens when the bug occurs? They do not build adult skills after maxing them out.
What do you expect to see? Social skill maxing doesn't lead to developing Charisma. Maxing Creativity isn't developing Violin or Piano. Maxing out Mental skill isn't letting them build Logic skill.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I'm honestly not 100% sure when this issue first arose, since it's not SUPER common that I have kids max out skills before I age them up. But recently I was playing in a way that let me have multiple kids in multiple households max skills and noticed they did not then start to build the adult skills. This has happened in multiple game saves now, so it isn't save specific. 

Even w/o mods, they do not seem to be building them. I once had a kid who maxed the Logic skill before she was a teen and I was trying to repeat that, but it's impossible because they never even show the comparable adult skills in their skills menu. 

Message 67 of 73 (1,054 Views)

Re: Kids not building adult skills after maxing child skills

Hero

@JulietJuly22  This is a known issue.  It's been going on since Eco Lifestyle was added.  Here is the active thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Children-don-t-gain-adult-skills/td-p/9173470

Hope this helps.

Message 68 of 73 (1,042 Views)

★★ Guide
@CGrant56 Thank you! I'll go add my "me too" to that lol!
Message 69 of 73 (1,031 Views)

★ Apprentice

Has anyone found a fix for this?   Just noticed that my children can only level charisma and logic.   Piano and violin are not levelling.   Seems like this was reported months ago.

Message 70 of 73 (739 Views)