Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansions: University, Island living, Get famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City living, Get together, Go to work. Game packs: Realm of magic, Jungle adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine out, Spa day, Outdoor retreat. Stuff packs: First pet, Laundry day, Fitness, Toddler, Luxury, Movie hangout, Romantic garden
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? After the latest patch my kids doesn't get any skills such as violin, logic or charisma, after maxing the four "children skills".
What happens when the bug occurs? Doesn't get skills.
What do you expect to see? That my child get skills.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Latest game update.

Nothing more to add.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 73 (13,981 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Kids not building adult skills after maxing child skills

Hero

Children once again can earn Adult skills. *sniff* They grow up so fast!

Fixed in Patch 1.68.154/ 1.33

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 71 of 73 (4,982 Views)

All Replies

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

★★★ Novice
This has happened to me too. Tried to get one kid to gain a violin skill (maxed creativity) and another one logic (maxed mental). Neither worked. Started a new game and didn’t have issues with it though.

Also started with the latest patch.
Message 2 of 73 (13,847 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Playing on PS4. I noticed this issue too. I did get it to work eventually, but it took a bit of work. Child maxed mental skill playing chess. Normally she would’ve immediately started gaining logic after that and it didn’t happen; even let it run for a few minutes to see if it was just lagging or something. Had child get up and go play a game on computer, and she did gain video gaming skill. Had her go back to chess, still no logic. Closed and restarted game, and then logic showed up. Not sure why it’s being difficult, but thought I’d share in case it helps

Message 3 of 73 (13,811 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Seems to occur when starting back into a saved game for adult skills that are not yet started.

STR:

* play new game

* max child skills (creativity and mental)

* gain at least 1 skill point in violin

* do not gain any logic skill points

* save and close game

* load game

* child will continue to gain violin

* child will not gain logic <-- unexpected

Update: I tried to use skill cheats to set my sim to level 1 of the adult skill, but the skill is not added.

Message 4 of 73 (13,775 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

For me the only adult skill my child was able to learn was the violin skill. She is simply unable to learn any of the other adult skills. charisma, video games, mischief and logic. Just to name the ones I've tried up until now. Pretty sure the rest is going to end the same way. Also remember a child was able to learn the "acting skill" in the past, but that might not be the case anymore. Can't be sure, had a rather long break from the game, so that might not be a bug.

As a previous commenter also said, I've also tried the cheat code to get the skill to level 1, but it doesn't work. Same goes for level 10 actually.

Tried to contact support, but the only thing I was told to do was reinstall origins because of a "sync error". And after that they sent me a message on my e-mail with instructions on how to possible get it to work after reinstalling origins. I would happily share the mail I got, if it worked. But seeing as it didn't work at all,I'm not going to. Unless people wants to try it out themselves.

Oh and I might mention, that like others, I've only gotten it to work on new save games, which frankly is annoying.

Message 5 of 73 (13,731 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@SarisenL92 

I and others have been troubleshooting this and found that for existing children there is a lot of inconsistency in what happens.  Here's what we have found so far.

Any skill that already showed up in the skills panel that a child had already started before the patch can be completed.  However, in one case, I had the maxed logic skill disappear from a child just like video gaming used to do.  And when aged up to teen, you had to start all over.

If a child has maxed the 4 basic skills but not gotten enough progress for a skill to show up in the skills panel, the skills won't and there will be no progress bar above their head when doing them.

For newly aged up toddlers, it seems that if you complete one of the 4 basics, you can get the adult skills but it is not consistent.

I found that in the case of creativity, that once the skill is maxed, if you do violin, piano and pipe organ immediately, then you can get those 3 to register in the skills panel.  Don't do anything else in between.  So start one, get it to show up at level one, move to the next and get it to show up and move on to the next.  Once you can get them to show up in the skill panel, you can come back later to work on them and level up. I also found if you got one to show up and then went on to work on another of the 4 basics, when you came back to the other skills associated with creativity, you can no longer gain the other skills but if you do it immediately, you can.

Still testing but I suspect that it will work the same with other skills associated with the other basics.

You can still get vampire lore and bowling as they are not associated with the 4 basics.  You should also be able to get pet training but I haven't tried that one yet as I didn't have any pets in my test household.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Just noticed something else. Child maxed motor and began video gaming. Forgot that gaming is now Mental after the patch. The child is not gaining any Mental skill while playing video games on console. No progress meter above child's head either.

Edit 2:  And if a child has maxed Mental.  Working on Motor and sent to Play Keyboard Commander on computer to see if that would still contribute towards Motor.  Child is gaining Motor and Video Gaming.  So something is definitely off.  

Message 6 of 73 (13,717 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SarisenL92  Thank you for your insight.  I was scratching my head over why some of my kids - new game, multiple households - couldn't advance with the violin and piano skills while others had them.  

I have just successfully managed to get three kids in a household to advance to violin and piano by lowering their creativity to 9, letting them gain the extra point, and then starting them on violin or piano straight away.  

Message 7 of 73 (13,662 Views)

★★★ Guide

Oops, I meant this for @CGrant56 .  My observation skills need an overhaul.

Message 8 of 73 (13,658 Views)

Hero

@Dorabella123  Dropping the skill level back to 9 is one thing I haven't tried yet.  I'm still testing so I'll give it a go when I get back to my test household.  This thing is incredibly inconsistent.  No two children have gotten the same skills it seems even though I try to play them the same way.  

Thanks for the idea. 

Message 9 of 73 (13,648 Views)

Child sims cannot gain skills on musical instruments or fishing

★ Apprentice

Since I installed the Evo Lifestyle pack i have noticed that when a child sim plays any musical instrument or goes fishing they no longer get that skill.  My child sim has maxed out the original 4 skills of creativity, mental, motor and social and other skills are working fine.  Game has been repaired and updated but still the same.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Message 10 of 73 (13,495 Views)