Cannot improve or gain new skills

by collette-m539

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm having this issue too. Please fix this ASAP. I need my sim kids to be able to learn adult skills. 

@crinrict Any update on a fix??? This makes the game unplayable for my method of playing.

Message 21 of 73 (1,896 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

★ Guide

I set all the child skills to 9 from the get go to see what would happen when they maxed out. One was practicing piano when they maxed creativity. They didn't immediately start gaining skill in piano, but after stopping and starting practice again, they were. But same sim after finishing the Creative aspiration before starting violin could not gain the violin skill.

Anyone know if a mod has come out to address this pending an EA fix?

Message 22 of 73 (1,825 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Children don't gain 'adult' skills

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@darkaudit
I have just found a mod on Mod the Sims that enhances the child skills so hopefully overcomes this issue - fingers crossed. I have just downloaded it myself and haven't tested it yet. It's here: 

[Admin - removed link to mod]

Message 23 of 73 (1,785 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Does anyone have a save file they can share with me that reproduces this issue? You can send me a DM with a link to your save. Thanks for the help!

Instructions for sending me a save:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 24 of 73 (1,754 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have found that in my game, I am not able to compensate for the lost skill time with the cheat 'stats.set_skill_level major_'. For example, if a child has practiced the piano (after he's maxed out the childhood creative skill) for ten hours (with a mentor), the game does not allow me to cheat the piano skill (not even for one skill point). It's a bit of a bummer. I'm avoiding playing households with children for fear of 'corrupting' the lot.

By the way, I have not installed Eco Lifestyle. This started with the last two patches (which I loaded together in one update)

(merge post) - Atic

Message 25 of 73 (1,651 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Any eta on a fix?? I really want to play, but I like my kid sims to gain the skills. 

Message 26 of 73 (1,569 Views)
Highlighted

Cannot improve or gain new skills

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1210
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous, Cats & Dogs, Parenthood, Laundry Day, Kids Room, & Movie Hangout.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I most recently installed a bundle (Get Famous, Parenthood, & Laundry Day) afterwards my sims could not improve or gain new skills, & when aged up from child to teen my sims lost all their previous skills.
What happens when the bug occurs? My sims could not improve or gain new skills, & when aged up from child to teen my sims lost all their previous skills. I also cannot see certain books in my book shelf with 1 sim while the rest of the sims in the family can see it just fine. There is also a giant mailbox in my front lawn that will not go away...
What do you expect to see? i expect to keep my skills when aging up and be able to improve or gain new skills as well as see the books everyone else can see...
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I installed a bundle (Get Famous, Parenthood, & Laundry Day)

my sims could not improve or gain new skills, & when aged up from child to teen my sims lost all their previous skills. I also cannot see certain books in my book shelf with 1 sim while the rest of the sims in the family can see it just fine. And theres a giant mailbox in my front yard that will not go away.

Message 27 of 73 (1,502 Views)

Re: Cannot improve or gain new skills

Hero
@collette-m539 Did you test this without mods/cc installed ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 28 of 73 (1,465 Views)

★★ Novice
@crinrict Yes, I've tried both with and without mods and problems still occur.
Message 29 of 73 (1,437 Views)

Hero
@collette-m539 Did you gain adult skill with the child ? The child skill don't carry over.

What kinds of books do you not see ? Is that the same Sim that has issues with books ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 30 of 73 (1,417 Views)