Re: Leftover Super Fertilizer from Growfruit Challenge behaving oddly

by crinrict

Original Post

[OPEN] Certain items become unselectable in inventory

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Issue

Unused Super Fertilizer given by Jasmine during the Growfruit challenge still appears in my Sim's inventory, but trying to move it instead moves a random item from a different Sim's inventory. This also means I cannot get rid of the fertilizer.

EDIT(Crin): Other items like active career objects such as samples also have the same fate once you're not in the career anymore

Steps you took for Issue to occur

I asked Jasmine for 3 packs of Super Fertilizer during the Growfruit challenge with both my Sims, however only one of them has enough gardening skill to actually fertilize a plant. The other Sim couldn't use it so it was just left in inventory until the end of the challenge, and it's still there now. However, now trying to drag the fertilizer instead grabs a random stack of items (the first time it was a bunch of sage, the second time the orchids, next time the roses...) from the gardening Sim's inventory.

I'm going to try and teach my sim gardening to see if it appears when trying to fertilize plants, and if that would actually manage to get rid of it...

Picture

See below, grabbed fertilizer but am holding roses not from active Sim's inventory.

Where does the bug occur ?

Only have the one sim with unused fertilizer, and no way to obtain more now that the challenge has ended, so difficult to reproduce...

Mods/CC

Never used any

Expansion Packs/Game Packs/Stuff Packs

None, only base game

Occurring since

End of growfruit challenge

Operating system

Mac OS 10.11.5

Message 1 of 13 (3,219 Views)

Hero

What level gardening is your Sim ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (3,125 Views)

★★★ Novice

He is level 1. I'm making him water all the plants right now to see if increasing the gardening skill will change anything.

Message 3 of 13 (3,123 Views)

Hero

You need to have level 3 at least or else he can't use it and hence not move it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (3,100 Views)

★★★ Novice

Update: skill level has no effect on this bug. My sim is now level 3 and can use the fertilizer, but attempting to drag it will still drag random items instead.

Message 5 of 13 (3,082 Views)

Hero

I don't know if you're supposed to be able to drag it. I have that issue with other things.

Just use it then I guess.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 13 (3,077 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think it's supposed to be non-movable, as it is when I open the stack and try to drag an individual bag. But that's not the issue here, the issue is that the not-draggable behavior is buggy. It's not a gameplay problem, I'm not looking for solutions to get rid of the fertilizer, I want to make the developers aware of this because it's a type of behavior that smells strongly of bad pointers being handed to some function, and as a programmer I know that that can lead to very subtle bugs and state corruption that can be hard to track down.

Message 7 of 13 (3,058 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

As I said, that's not specific to this item.

There's several items getting stuck and other inventory oddities that already have a thread.

The Hand tool getting stuck thread is a bit a mixture of things but I think it be ok to have this as it's own thread.

I'm just changing your title. then and add.

This happens for me with certain active career objects after you have left the career.

@petitenerd

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 13 (3,055 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oh, sorry, I didn't get that part. Yeah I guess this is a hand tool bug rather than a fertilizer bug. I've definitely had some of the issues people reported in the hand tool thread, but none of them involved completely unrelated items from a different sim's inventory, which is the part that really made this bug scary to me...

Message 9 of 13 (3,045 Views)

Hero

It happens with items that are no longer (or not yet) valid and I agree with you, that it's a problem.

I'll add it as separate issue and check the hand tool stuck thread if any posts need moving over here.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 13 (3,042 Views)