Re: [OPEN] Cabinet/Shelves over kitchen sink/dishwasher prevents washing dishes

by stjmk

Original Post

★ Guide

@cupidbonsai  yeah, this bug has been around for years. I looked at your pics. If you move the stuff above the counters up the wall a notch or two, sims should be able to use. The only way it would work in your third picture is if you made the walls taller and moved it up the wall. This works for me for shelves, cabinets and exhuast hoods for stoves. Those hanging pots are pickier, but can be done will tall walls with the shorter pot rack.

The problem with the above mehtod is that it looks really weird. For this reason, I don't use those cabinets anymore and usally don't use those hanging pots. I do use this method for shelves. This bug also applies to any wall decor near counters, like those wall knives and the decorative wall bottles from the chef career track.

Message 11 of 29 (835 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yes they need to fix this bug, it's been way too long. This is also probably what causes the other issue so many people have of sims going to the furthest sink to wash their dishes. Because cabinets over sinks cause routing failure and most people will logically put cabinets in their kitchens.

Message 12 of 29 (804 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Pro
@sushicrow I always build with bb.moveobjects on for precisely this reason.

The pot racks at the appropriate height, if moved back and half a space over, will allow Sims to use dishwashers/sinks. You can also alt/option place cabinets a little higher without it looking too weird.
Message 13 of 29 (793 Views)

★★ Pro
@ldn2la "This is also probably what causes the other issue so many people have of sims going to the furthest sink to wash their dishes."

Not so sure about that. Sims and sinks are just... weird.
Message 14 of 29 (792 Views)

Won't clean dishes

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My sims won't clean their dishes. even when the sink is right next to them. I own the Island living and the snowy escape packs. This glitch takes place on my off grid Island lot. I do have a hexagonal shaped house so I do have quite a bit of diagonal furniture. I have checked my water reserves and they are full when this happens. The sim will pick up the plates wait a second and put the plate back down. I have resorted to manualy placing dished in sink or trash. This started after a wedding with quite a few guests at my lot. I don't have an oven or microwave since it's an off the grid lot.

Update: I think i figured it out. After the wedding my sims put their little cups in really high hidden places. i think i found all of them.

(CM: Multiple posts merged. Check out this post for tips on how to edit and add more to a post.)

Message 15 of 29 (700 Views)

★★ Pro

Ugh this is so annoying! I'd love to build pretty kitchens but I want them to be functional too so it sucks that we can't have a kitchen cupboard above the sink!

Please please fix this! Fingers crossed A teensy weensy fix for us builders once in a while? *puppy eyes*

Message 16 of 29 (619 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This is STILL happening as of December 27th, 2023. I just built a kitchen that now looks absolutely crazy with one missing cabinet.

Devs please for the love of god fix this 😭

EDIT: It was one of the smaller, half cabinets, not even a full one. 

Message 17 of 29 (386 Views)

★ Guide

2024 and this is still an effing issue. Are you kidding EA. How hard is it to fix this?!?!

Message 18 of 29 (250 Views)

Fix sinks not working when cabinets over the sink

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? It’s updated
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just play the game instead of asking stupid questions
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims pick the dish and put it back down. They won’t wash it in kitchen sink or any sink with cabinets. Also my sims won’t use dishwasher.
What do you expect to see? I expect the game to work. That should be obvious. I expect the sink to work and the cabinets should not have any impact on sinks being used.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This thread exists already and it’s still open FOR YEARS. Yes I’m creating a new one since it’s been ignored. Fix the sink not working to wash dishes when there are cabinets over the sink. Sims can wash hands but refuse to wash dishes. It’s probably an easy bug so I am not sure why no one cares about fixing it. 

Message 19 of 29 (276 Views)

Wont use Kitchen Sink

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.105.345.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous, Island Living, Discover University, Eco Lifestyle, Snowy Escape, Cottage Living, High School Years, Growing Together, Horse Ranch, For Rent Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Realm of Magic, Journey to Batuu, Dream Home Decorator, My Wedding Stories, Werewolves Luxury Party Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, My First Pet Stuff, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff, Nifty Knitting Stuff, Paranormal Stuff, Crystal Creations Stuff Bust the Dust Kit, Greenhouse Haven Kit, Poolside Splash, Castle Estate Kit
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Get any sims, teenage and above, to clean up something that they would normally wash up eg. plates.
What happens when the bug occurs? They never use the sink in the kitchen.
What do you expect to see? often they will walk to the bathroom to use the sink there instead. There is nothing blocking the path to the kitchen sink ever. If I set the sink type in kitchen to kitchen and bathroom to bathroom, they never wash up, they just pick up the plate and then put it back down again. Even if I then set the kitchen sink to universal, they still wont use it.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

After Some testing I have worked out that (in the kitchen)  if a sink is in a counter, or even a standalone touching  or very near a counter or oven or fridge they wont use the sink. If I put it in the middle of the room, or one square either side of the sink they will use it. 

Children Sims use kitchen sinks normally with no issues. 

I hope this info helps find a solution :') 

Message 20 of 29 (178 Views)