by stjmk

Original Post

[OPEN] Cabinet/Shelves over kitchen sink/dishwasher prevents washing dishes

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion, game and stuff packs except Journey to Batuu
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place a shelf or cabinet over a kitchen sink. See if the sims washes the plate in the kitchen sink or goes to the closest bathroom sink.
What happens when the bug occurs? 99% of the time, if there is a shelf or cabinet over the kitchen sink the sim will clean up dishes and wash them in a bathroom sink. Even if the kitchen sink is closer to the table or kitchen counter where the sim was eating, the sim will walk all the way accross a room or go to an upstairs bathroom to wash the dishes instead.
What do you expect to see? Even if there is a shelf or cabinet over a kitchen sink I still expect the sim to use the kitchen sink to wash plates afer afer cleaning up.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. 11/10/20 update. Installed Snowy Escape on 11/13/20. Not sure which one caused the issue

The issue occurs on all lots and in all games

It occurs 100% of the time when the shelf is the Matcha Better Display Shelf

As long as there isn'tt a shelf/cabinet over the kitchen sink there is no issue.  So I end up always having to remove them if the house comes decorated that way. Or I can't decorate the way I want. It's annoying.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title to fit

Message 1 of 29 (4,026 Views)

Re: Cabinet/Shelf over kitchen sink prevents the sim from washing dishes in the

★★★★ Apprentice

I can confirm the bigger cabinets will 100% prevent sims from using a sink for washing dishes if said cabinet is above the sink.

I removed all sinks but one that has a big cabinet above it, sim will no longer have the option to clean up a dish but only throw away, even though a sink is RIGHT next to her!

Sim will even go multiple floors to another sink if the closest sink has a big cabinet above it.

For easy testing, the "1 Torendi Tower Penthouse" has this setup already. If you are in the kitchen in the ground floor, the sim will refuse to use that sink for washing a dish, even if I have a dishwasher right next to it and will go to the double bathroom behind the kitchen.

Same bigger cabinets will prevent the sim from using dishwashers too.

If I use the smaller cabinets, sims have no issues.

Took me a while to find out what was the cause, the bigger cabinets.

Message 2 of 29 (3,935 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Jaymacibe Thank you. The few times it wasn't an issue I didn't connect it to the size of the cabinet. This never use to be a problem and isn't the only issue I've found since installing Snowy Escape. I wish they would fix them all. Thanks
Message 3 of 29 (3,888 Views)

★ Novice
@cupidbonsai I am having same issue also. Just installed the new kit with the country charm sink. I used a single country charm shelf with the dishes in it and snapped it to the highest point above the sink and the Sims won’t use the sink. I am using Xbox One X game. I removed all other sinks and the Sims won’t acknowledge the kitchen sink is on the lot. Sims is living Pinecrest Apts #404.
Message 4 of 29 (3,808 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same problem. It is ONLY with bigger cabinets, and they can brush teeth, wash hands, and get a drink of water, but cannot wash dishes.

Message 5 of 29 (3,736 Views)

★ Guide

I have found smaller cabinets (like the plates one from Country Kitchen Kit) prevent sims from washing dishes as well as larger ones. They can still wash their hands and brush their teeth, but nor the dishes. However, when I moved the cabinet just a little higher, they were able to wash dishes in the kitchen sink. I think it's all about making sure whatever cabinets you use, that you have them high enough.

@hvadams wrote:

I have the same problem. It is ONLY with bigger cabinets, and they can brush teeth, wash hands, and get a drink of water, but cannot wash dishes.

Message 6 of 29 (3,532 Views)

dishwasher

★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything but Dust kit, Fitness kit and Courtyard Oasis.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have dishwasher (professional dish laborer). Have dirty dishes (which happen to be sitting on top of the cabinet that has the dishwasher when I first noticed it.).Ask the Sim to "load dishwasher."
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim picks up the dishes from on top of the dishwasher (so it's not a routing issue), goes to the *bathroom* sink and washes the dishes. (There is also a kitchen sink which they don't use either.) I tried this several times and it happened with each thing that needed to be washed. Also when things were in other parts of the room. I tried having the dishwasher in other spots. Same thing happened.
What do you expect to see? I expect that they'd load the dishwasher since it was right in front of them.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. New patch 1.75.125.1030. This is an entirely new save specifically made to see how the new patch works. While I've had CC (no mods), I remove the the entire mod folder (to desktop), as well as deleting the localthumbcache.package, before I do the update and start the new save.

Sim won't use dishwasher at all. The first time it happened, I thought that perhaps it was because they couldn't get to the dishwasher for some reason. So I put dirty dishes on top of the dishwasher cabinet. They could get there without any difficulty but would only pick up the dishes and take them to the bathroom. I thought this had been long ago fixed! There is even a sink in the kitchen but they also ignore that one entirely to go wash the dishes in the bathroom.

Message 7 of 29 (3,581 Views)
Highlighted

Re: dishwasher

★★ Pro
@KatAnubis Do you have anything hanging over dishwasher? Lights, pot racks, even some overhead cabinets? Same with sink.

Sims won't complain about routing, usually, in those circumstances; they'll just go use another sink. (Sims are weird.)
Message 8 of 29 (3,571 Views)

★★ Guide

No. There are no pots or lights over the dishwasher. There are the standard wall cabinets only. And there's a window over the sink, no wall cabinets.

And I tried it without anything sitting on the cabinet too. (Although when it first happened the dishes were on the island near it. I thought maybe they couldn't route, but that wasn't it.)

I've had them have the dishes in several places since then, but it always ends up the same. Also, the refrigerator and the stove are on either side of the cabinet with the dishwasher. They have no problems with either of them, and they use that cabinet top for making the food. And the stove has the same wall cabinet.

I've played in this house before (Havisham house in Windenberg, with a few "upgrades" to appliances) several times before and never had that problem.

And yes, Sims are weird!

I'll try removing that wall cabinet when next I play and see if it makes any difference (but I suspect it won't.)

Message 9 of 29 (3,531 Views)

★★ Guide

Well durned if it wasn't that wall hung cabinet. I had it at the same height that it was originally but I guess no one had ever put a dishwasher there. Without the cabinet, it worked fine. And then I replaced the cabinet but put it higher on the wall and it worked. It's amazing that something on the *back* side would make it so that you couldn't use the front of the dishwasher. (Animations are weird that way I guess.)

And it wasn't the Havisham house, it was Rustic Residence. (Not that that would make much difference, just correcting myself.)

Message 10 of 29 (3,525 Views)