Re: San Myshuno apartment walls/fences/half walls bug

by crinrict

Original Post

[OPEN] [CL] Ghost Walls in Apartments

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Hello! 

I went to redo the entire 1020 Alto Apartment unit, completely bulldozing the lot. I started placing walls and suddenly I got an error on one specific tile saying "Invalid Diagonal Intersection." It did this with walls, half walls, and fences, on the exact same tile. I managed to somehow get a wall down, and then two tiles away I got the same problem. 

As there are more tiny things like this all over the worlds I ignored it at first, but then I clicked "replace with half wall" and saw a whole party of weird spaces. See the first screenshot.
The blue outline which normally shows where you can replace walls/fences/half walls are in places they shouldn't be and they're all wonky too. 

I decided to go exploring and tried different worlds/neighborhoods, narrowing down the problem. If you place a wall, then delete it (either by ctrl+drag or just using the hammer) it leaves a "replace" print in the room. This only happens in San Myshuno, in the apartments. NOT the "normal" ground lots like the gym, park, etcetera. I feel that the "ghost" wall that's left behind gave me the invalid diagonal intersection error. 

Oh and if you bulldoze the lot after leaving many of these ghost walls, they all disappear too. So far I know that's the only way to get rid of them once you have created them. In the first screenshot you can see the situation I found myself in the first time, and then when I tested around I got to the second situation. I also added a screenshot of a different apartment showing the same thing after placing random walls. 

I have no mods installed.

TL;DR 
Placed walls, deleted the walls, they left "ghost" walls that gave me invalid diagonal intersection errors. Happens in the apartments only, in San Myshuno. Any ground lots/other worlds are fine. 

Message 1 of 6 (3,941 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

Tagging @BryonyRae on this one

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (3,847 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@hubosa I am able to reproduce the ghost walls you describe, and they do seem only to occur in apartments in San Myshuno (penthouses and other non-apartment lots in San Myshuno are not affected).  However, I don't think they are related to the "invalid diagonal error" you're getting, which we've had in the game for some time.  As you can see, in my testing, I set up several walls at different angles, and when I tried to draw one in particular, I received the error:

invaliddiag.jpg

When I deleted the various walls, I was able to draw that formerly invalid wall without an issue, so I don't think the ghost walls are getting in the way.  The invalid diagonal intersection error is caused when you have a diagonal wall drawn that tries to intersect another wall on a half tile instead of full tile.  I discussed it at length on the forums here and we do have a request in to the devs to change the behavior.

I do think the devs should be made aware of the ghost walls in apartments, as my guess is it's unintentional, but since they don't seem to be causing any actual construction issues, I don't know if I'd categorize them as a bug... 

Message 3 of 6 (3,812 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey @BryonyRae! Thanks for the reply.

Yeah if the ghost walls aren't in the way they are not really a bug. Though I'm pretty sure that when I got the diagional wall error it was on an empty tile, not with another wall next to/through it, because using the "replace" tool it did actually let me place that wall. I have been building houses in The Sims for as long as I can remember so I am pretty familiar with the restrictions the walls in The Sims have, hence why I felt that the error was so out of place I had to post about it.

That being said it's been a bit since I encountered this so I cannot be sure it wasn't what you described. I haven't encountered it since either, so I guess we'll never know Standard smile And we should definitely let the devs know about the ghost walls, since I can imagine it some situations it can really get in the way.

Message 4 of 6 (3,805 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@hubosa as this is still an issue in the game as of 11/21/17, would you mind editing your first post and filling out the reporting template, if you are still playing?  I am still seeing the ghost walls in my game...

Message 5 of 6 (3,411 Views)

★★ Guide
I ticked "Me Too" for this post regarding the "wonky" ghost walls. It appears as though the mesh for them has been constructed back-to-front in some parts so they are partially invisible when they shouldn't be.
Message 6 of 6 (3,301 Views)