Highlighted
Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [CD] Sims Can't Lecture/become companion for adopted Pets

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.49.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them except My First Pet Stuff and Get Famous.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a cat, dog, kitten or puppy in your Sim household. Wait for the pet to do some kind of unwanted behavior such as playing in puddles, drinking from puddles, waking up Sims, eating human food, or in the case of cats, walking on counters. Click on the pet and look in the Friendly social category for the option to lecture the pet about the misbehavior.
What happens when the bug occurs? The option to lecture the pet about the misbehavior does not show up, resulting in Sims being unable to train out their pets' misbehavior.
What do you expect to see? Sims should be able to lecture their cats, dogs, puppies and kittens about misbehavior in order to correct those unwanted behaviors.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The November 13th, 2018 patch that added Terrain Tools and the Style Influencer career, among other features and bug fixes. Before this patch, some Simmers did have similar problems with the "lecture pet for misbehavior" social option, but apparently that was only when they used Manage Households to merge a pet into an existing household. After the November 13th, 2018 patch, pets that are simply adopted into a household using the "Hire a Service" option on a Sim's cell phone also seem to be affected by this bug.

Since the Friend of the Animals Aspiration requires that a Sim train out two pet misbehaviors, and this bug makes it so that pets can't be lectured to correct misbehaviors, this bug effectively breaks that Aspiration.

CURRENT STATUS (crin)

• Sims can't lecture or become companions of adopted pets
  • This issue started after the Get Famous patch
  • There's a similar thread where you can't lecture pets after transferring pets into a pre-existing household (this new issue could be an escalation of that as adoption is technically doing the same
  • Kids can lecture threads while teens and up can't
  • This thread has been forwarded and added to the compiled list.
  • This issue has been fixed in Patch 1.51.75 but be aware that already affected Sims will still be bugged. Check solution post for a workaround.
Message 1 of 222 (31,053 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] [CD] Sims Can't Lecture/become companion for adopted Pets

[ Edited ]
Hero

After installing this update, Sims who adopt an animal after befriending them will be able to become companions with them and lecture them for misbehavior.
  • Note: Sims who have already adopted an animal after befriending them, in a save file created prior to this update, will continue to experience this issue. We’re investigating a separate fix for this issue in existing save files.

This issue has been fixed in Patch 1.51.75. Please be aware that affected Sims/Pets will still be bugged. 

You have three (four) options how to deal with them

1. Wait for EA to implement more fixes (see patch notes)
  2. Let the Pets have the issue and don't care about it.
  3. Use the household manager/cloning solution that's been posted in this thread (I will add that solution to this post later today)
  4. Use the method below (in the quote) to fix them. You'll need a mod to do so but you can remove it after successfully fixing them.

@crinrict wrote:

There's a cheat solution that seems to help but you'll probably also need TwistedMexi's AllCheats mod in order for it to work as I believe that cheat was disabled.

The issue affects all Sims that adopt a pet they have a friendship with before adoption. There's a relationhship bit called dogowned/catowned and for some reason, this bit doesn't get added if you befriend them first.

What you need to do is the following

1. Add twistedMexis AllCheats Mod to your game (google the link but get the version on his Patron, NOT the one on MTS) --> I do believe this is necessary, you can try without first.
  2. Open the cheat console with ctl-shift-c
  3. Type: sims.get_sim_id_by_name <yoursimfirstname> <yoursimlastname>  (firstname and lastname being the name of the Sim that can't lecture the pet)
  4. Write down that number. It's a long number and you can't c/p
  5. Type: sims.get_sim_id_by_name <yoursimfirstname> <yoursimlastname>  (firstname and lastname being the name of the pet that can't be lectured)
  6. Write down that number. It's a long number and you can't c/p
  7. relationship.add_bit <yoursimID> <targetsimID> <relationshipBit>
    The value for these are as follow
    - yoursimID = ID of the Sim 
    - targetsimID = ID of the Pet
    - RelationshipBit = catOwned if the pet is a cat or  dogowned if the pet is a dog.
  8. Close the cheat console with ctl-shift-c
  9. After doing this you can remove the mod from your game again.

After that you should be able to lecture your animal as well as become a companion again .. cause the Sim actually owns the dog.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 199 of 222 (14,433 Views)

All Replies

Re: [TO TEST] [CD] Sims Can't Lecture Pets for Misbehavior

★ Guide

Had this issue too that started after the patch before Get Famous ( I do not have Get Famous but have all other packs).

Started a new game after the patch and adopted a cat - no lecture interactions are there anymore for misbehaviors.

Message 2 of 222 (30,877 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I also had this issue after the patch (and don't have Get Famous), only for me it was with a stray my sim adopted. I have been troubleshooting for other issues since the patch so I haven't gotten to test if it was just this save or only a problem with strays in my game yet, but the save I had the issue in was a new save created after the patch.

Message 3 of 222 (30,864 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I got this problem too, though only with pets I've adopted. I cheated my sim into CAS fulleditmode and added a dog through there and I am able to lecture him but not the dog that I adopted through the computer. She drinks from the toilet and puddles and I can't stop her.

Message 4 of 222 (30,842 Views)

★ Apprentice

Having the same problem after patching to the latest update. Frustrating honestly because I'm trying to do the Super Sim challenge and I can't progress with the Animals aspiration because I can't train out misbehaviours... 

Message 5 of 222 (30,804 Views)

Re: [TO ADD] [CD] Sims Can't Lecture Pets for Misbehavior

★★★★ Novice

Same thing here. Made a new save to test out new features with the Get Famous patch (but don't have Get Famous). Had my sim become a Style Influencer and adopt a stray cat. And she cannot lecture the cat. 

My roommate created a new save with a pre-made cat that she could lecture. But then she adopted a stray and she couldn't lecture it. 

Message 6 of 222 (30,755 Views)

★★ Novice

Just chiming in to say I have the same issue here. I wasn't having it before the patch. I'm trying to get friend of the animals done and can't Frown

Message 7 of 222 (30,751 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Also chiming in to add: 

I had a sim with a pre-created dog from CAS who could lecture his dog fine for misbehaving. However, when he moved a roommate in, the roommate was unable to lecture the pet. Roommate, pet, and original sim were all friends .

This happened after the most recent update and has continued after installing Get Famous .

Message 8 of 222 (30,731 Views)

Hero

@fishonamission wrote:

Also chiming in to add: 

I had a sim with a pre-created dog from CAS who could lecture his dog fine for misbehaving. However, when he moved a roommate in, the roommate was unable to lecture the pet. Roommate, pet, and original sim were all friends .

This happened after the most recent update and has continued after installing Get Famous .

This sounds more like this older issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CD-Can-t-lecture-train-pets/m-p/6414298

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 222 (30,697 Views)

★ Apprentice

Has anyone noticed also that they can't become companions with their pets either now? Or just me?

Message 10 of 222 (30,678 Views)