by PriestessAvenara

Original Post

[OPEN] [CD] All dogs do potty on the porches and terraces

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All Eps, except ECO. All GPs. All SPs except Tiny Living, Moschino, Spooky.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game with dogs in a Household.
What happens when the bug occurs? When a dog want to do business it goes on the porch and not on the terrain.
What do you expect to see? I want dogs do their potty on the grass and not on the porches. If sims do not consider terraces and porches with roofs as outside, then why animals think otherwise??? To do potty outdoors means to go to any place down the stairs and do it somewhere on the grass.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I want dogs to do their potty on the grass and not on the porches.
If sims do not consider terraces and porches with roofs as outside, then why animals think otherwise???
To do potty outdoors means to go to any place down the stairs and do it somewhere on the grass. Not on the porch.

It is as ridiculous as puppies and kitten not able to use stairs.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 3 of 20 (13,482 Views)

Dogs potty on porch

★★★ Newbie

I find it very frustrating that the Dogs always go potty on the porches instead if going out to the grass. I am consistently cleaning up puddles and poop piles with having multiple dogs. Has anyone else experienced this and solved it? I heard its the way the Sims coded the dogs but It would be awesome if they could have a sign or fire hydrant and code the dogs to go potty near that particular object., then you could choose wear the potty area is in your yard thus eliminating the issue,  

Message 1 of 20 (13,224 Views)

Re: Dogs potty on porch

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Nellylicious101 I've had this in my game also, and of course it is annoying. I tend to go one of several routes:

• Have a butler or maid, leave it for them, and try to ignore it in the meantime (the pee puddles do evaporate)
  • Enclose the porch so that it is considered an 'indoor' room, then add a 'roomba' in the room (though they are unlikely to use this room to poo/pee unless they're not potty trained or are a puppy).
  • Add a doggie door that is the only door that's unlocked to the dog so they use only that door. Have the doggie door exit to a tiny 'deck' that is only a step landing and not a flooring piece. This way the dog will not stop in the landing but will go down to the yard to pee/poo.
    Note: I did also find that I needed one tile of space between this 'doggy deck/exit' and the regular deck or the dogs will walk through the railing to the regular deck and pee/poo there:
    doggie deck.jpg
SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 20 (13,182 Views)

Re: All dogs do potty on the porches and terraces

[ Edited ]
Champion

@koshechka84 I agree, love your suggestion, and have added my 'me too' and 'XP.  I do hope the code can get modified a bit on how dogs look at porches, as you say.

In the meantime... I know this is not much consolation, but some workaround and gameplay things I've done when I had this happening in my game. Hope something helps:

Dogs going potty on the deck is annoying. To address this, my favorite options are:

• Have a butler or maid, leave it for them, and try to ignore it in the meantime (the pee puddles do evaporate).
• Enclose the porch so that it’s considered an ‘indoor’ room, then add a ‘roomba‘ in the room (though they are unlikely to use this room to poo/pee unless they’re not potty trained or are a puppy).
• Add a ‘Doggie Deck‘:
Add a doggie door that’s the only door that’s unlocked to the dog so they use only that door. Have the doggie door exit to a tiny ‘deck’ that’s only a stair-landing and not a floor tile. This way the dog will not stop on the landing but will go down to the yard to pee/poo:
Note: I did also find that I needed one tile of space between this ‘doggy deck/exit’ and the regular deck or the dogs will walk through the railing to the regular deck and pee/poo there.
Doggie-Deck.jpg

Message 4 of 20 (13,352 Views)

★★ Pro

As a side note, if this does NOT work for you there is at least one lot with fake grass. They are actually the grass TILES all over the ground. I can't recall the lot now, but try going in build/buy mode and use the little hammer all over the ground to see if perhaps you happen to be on that lot.

Another thing I've learned is if you have a deck outside and there are a lot of stairs, say that go up to the second floor, the dogs don't recognize those stairs they just walked up to tell you they have to go potty as a way back DOWN to go potty, so that's another issue I've seen with dogs.

The doggy door with that tiny "deck" as a one way ticket down would be a genius fix to the problem so long as your "lawn" is an actual lawn, which I would check just in case. Happy simming and feel free to keep troubleshooting with us if nothing we've talked about is helping. Someone else had a similar problem and the community was determined to help them.

Message 5 of 20 (13,337 Views)

Champion

@koshechka84 @PriestessAvenara Yes, this is true. If you happen to be living in The Old Salt House in San Myshuno you may find your dogs confused by the fact that all of the 'grass' on that lot by default is grass actually flooring tiles. You can kind-of see this in this video I did a while back (sorry, this was before I gave up and started making better video quality and doing audio that you can actually hear... let's just say I dragged my feet a long time): https://youtu.be/IBFvmBlZicY

Of course, you could confirm if someone did this on the lot you're currently on (if you didn't make it) by sledgehammering the grass area. I'm not aware of any more Maxis residential lots that were made this way.

Message 6 of 20 (13,306 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@SheriGR @PriestessAvenara  Well, I've tried many variants. But it is still a Game problem that dogs and cats don't think of terraces and porches as house parts, while sims definitely consider them already inside. This drives me crazy, when in freezing temp they go out in their light clothes and then shiver from cold.

This is just insane)

Even when my dog (real I mean)) was a little puppy she would never do her potty on my porch. Grass, grass.... Or some stones for her Standard smile

6 years of the game, I think this could have been corrected many times.
@SheriGR As for poops, I used them as fertilizers (until they stopped working)
Otherwise I leave it for Maids for now)) But... there are some trash plants appearing on the porch suddenly Standard smile Well, how do they grow without ground, that's the question.

Message 7 of 20 (13,271 Views)

★★ Pro

@koshechka84  Wait WHAT?! Okay something is REALLY wrong with your porches. If a plant can grow on it without a pot, it's officially acting like ground. It's no wonder your dogs are going there! As far as the game is concerned your porch is being registered as actual ground! I can't say I've ever encountered this scenario before. Can you put flooring down on it? Can you clean the pee puddles or does it tell you only a neat freak would try to clean the ground? This is weird. I'm actually curious about this one! I suppose you could try redoing the porches and see if that helps, but I'm officially perplexed.

Message 8 of 20 (13,252 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@PriestessAvenara  It was only once. I was shocked too, when I saw it. There was a screenshot, but it is now somewhere on the external disk.

After that I reset the lot. By the way it was on the biggest lot in Willow Creek (Don't remember the name, unfortunately) Near the door mat. 

So "Can you put flooring down on it? Can you clean the pee puddles or does it tell you only a neat freak would try to clean the ground?" Yes, with flooring all is ok. And yes, the puddles are cleanable. 

I think it was some weird bug. Don't know what could reason it, though.

I think after this I started to forced the dogs to go for a walk (with mods, unfortunately).

Message 9 of 20 (13,237 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@koshechka84 If they are puppies they can't do up and down stairs, so I setup outdoor indoor carpet to act like artificial grass, the pee is adsorbed, but the poop is not. Once they grow up to adults they will be able to go down stairs you got to retrain them by calling them to the spot in the yard you want them to go potty and they will go potty around that spot all the time.
Message 10 of 20 (13,158 Views)