Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Black Hair looking gray/blue on several hairstyles

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Eco Lifestyle, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get To Work, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Paranormal, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, Moschino, Laundry Day, Fitness, Bowling Night, Vintage Glamour, Movie Hangout, Spooky, Cool Kitchen, Perfect Patio, Luxury Party, Bust the Dust, Courtyard Oasis
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Open up 'create a sim' and try the new black color on any braids or dreadlocks - both male and female sims
What happens when the bug occurs? The color is very inconsistent, appearing as light grey on some (such as the dreadlocks from Nifty Knitting) to a dark black on others.
What do you expect to see? The color is very inconsistent, appearing as light grey on some (such as the dreadlocks from Nifty Knitting) to a dark black on others.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Issue is specific to the new color added in the May 27, 2021 patch.

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Eco Lifestyle, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get To Work, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Paranormal, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, Moschino, Laundry Day, Fitness, Bowling Night, Vintage Glamour, Movie Hangout, Spooky, Cool Kitchen, Perfect Patio, Luxury Party, Bust the Dust, Courtyard Oasis
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Open up 'create a sim' and try the new black color on any braids or dreadlocks - both male and female sims
What happens when the bug occurs? The color is very inconsistent, appearing as light grey on some (such as the dreadlocks from Nifty Knitting) to a dark black on others.
What do you expect to see? The color is very inconsistent, appearing as light grey on some (such as the dreadlocks from Nifty Knitting) to a dark black on others.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Issue is specific to the new color added in the May 27, 2021 patch.

Black hair in braids and dreads

Edit By Crinrict: Fixed Duplicate Template, adjusted title so all hair with this issue can be reported in here.

Message 1 of 20 (8,618 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Black Hair looking gray/blue on several hairstyles

Community Manager

Hey all,

If you're still seeing issues with certain hairstyles after Tuesday's patch, please create a new bug report here so we can continue to investigate. 

Thanks! 

solaire.png

View in thread

Message 20 of 20 (2,501 Views)

All Replies

Re: New black hair color inconsistent braids and dreads grey to black result

★★★ Novice

I was really hoping they'd fix the issue of different hairstyles looking like a completely different shade. It shouldn't matter which hairstyle the sim has, the black shade should be the same for whatever hairstyle we choose. That goes for the browns and blondes as well. I've been so excited for this update because I wanted black hair that actually looks normal but this is EA we're talking about. What a shame Frown

Message 2 of 20 (8,591 Views)

Re: Black Hair looking gray on several hairstyles

Hero
@Jyotai Thanks for the report.

made the title a bit more general. I think all hair that have the issue can be reported in here. There have been reports for others.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 20 (8,567 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I was super disappointed with the inconsistency in color, especially when it comes to old base game hairstyles. Not only are they not black when the new black swatch is applied, but also some of them have blue splotches (see pic. 3 in attachments). 

I genuinely don't know why it's so hard to create a true black swatch for The Sims Team. I was able to do that in Photoshop within a minute. All I did was take the old (2014) black swatch, desaturate it and tone down the highlights. Here's the result:my_black_swatch.png

Message 4 of 20 (8,544 Views)

★★ Guide

Me too!

The new "black" is VERY inconsistent across haristyles.

I was expecting that the new black would look like the existing black but with a neutral highlight instead of the blue tinted one we already have.

Some hairs look great in the new colour. Some look like they have had a translucent layer of white added over the top. Others don't look black at all and could just as easily be called grey.

These badly need another pass of quality control.

Message 5 of 20 (8,533 Views)

★ Apprentice

To be honest, at first I thought my game broke. I repaired it and then realised that it's the way the new black swatch is executed. TS team needs to go through all the hairstyles again (with the emphasis on base game hairstyles) and fix the new black swatch. More examples are attached as documents.

example1.pngexample2.pngexample3.pngexample7.png

Message 6 of 20 (8,445 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've found there are dozens of hairs that are too low-contrast and gray compared to the original. So many that I don't know if I could attach pictures of them all.

Is there another way to report these? Could I attach them all in a zip file, or would that not be opened by anyone at EA?

Message 7 of 20 (8,357 Views)

Hero
@bizuktag You can't upload zip files but you can upload rar files

You could also upload them all to google or one drive as gallery and link that.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 20 (8,283 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

The new black swatch is an afterthought. It’s so sad to know that it wasn’t added to give us the tools for better representation, it was basically a handout “take it and leave us alone”.

The new black swatch needs a lot of fixing.... Some hairstyles look good with it (screenshot n.3), but mostly it’s even grayer than the old swatch. Especially with base game hairstyles... 4.png

Message 9 of 20 (8,266 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Black Hair looking gray on several hairstyles

★★★ Novice

I’m on mobile and haven’t made screenshots yet, but I noticed the same issue with some of the new blonde swatches. The outdoor retreat hair is like a salt-and-pepper blonde, and at first I thought “oh okay, that’s to make up for the other two greying swatches.” Nope. Totally inconsistent across all hairs.

Message 10 of 20 (8,141 Views)