by John_Zonbi

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Bartender doesn't tend bar

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.67
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Click on a bartender
What happens when the bug occurs? The bartender stands outside for hours on end doing nothing or goes around talking to people. They do not tend the bar causing other Sims to go over and make their own drinks making everyone fight over it. They also do not, if tending the bar finally, have the option to order food or drinks on them. This has been a problem for almost 4 years now.
What do you expect to see? For it to be fixed after 4 years.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The bartender stands outside for hours on end doing nothing or goes around talking to people.
They do not tend the bar causing other Sims to go over and make their own drinks making everyone fight over it.
They also do not, if tending the bar finally, have the option to order food or drinks on them.
This has been a problem for almost 4 years now.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 12 (13,167 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Bartender doesn't tend bar

Hero
Adding this although I've never seen that in my own game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (13,077 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Bartender doesn't tend bar

★★★ Guide

I get this too sometimes. Its like they don't know where the bar is. The only way I have been able to get them to do their job is take the sim I am playing as walk up to the bartender and start chatting. Once I got a good conversation going I walk over close to the bar and hit "Chat Here". The bartender follows and THEN notices the bar and finally goes to work.

I noticed this happens more when its at a downloaded gallery created bar or a bar I built myself more than the bars that already come with the game/packs. Maybe a wall or something is in the way? Cocktail

Message 3 of 12 (13,063 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] DJs and Mixologists Do Not Stay on the Job

★ Novice

Ever since University expansion none of my bartenders or vendors work. They show up to the lot but do not get behind the bar, into the food stall or the new cafeteria thing. It happens on every single lot I've tried. 

Message 4 of 12 (12,870 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] DJs and Mixologists Do Not Stay on the Job

★★★★ Expert
@pixeltrashcan I've noticed it, but it's sporadic. Sometimes the bartender won't go to the bar. Usually another bartender will spawn and take over fine. Sometimes the bartender is at the bar normally the first time.
Message 5 of 12 (12,834 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Bartender doesn't tend bar

★★★ Newbie

My bartenders stay outside and if I start talking with one and get them to come inside, another one spawns and stands outside. This started happening not long after I got the base game and before I added in some mods and bought a game pack. If I want anyone in the lounge or club to have a drink, I have to make my sim bartend. I can’t believe this has been an issue for so long. 

Message 6 of 12 (12,347 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I know this is an older thread, so apologies if posting is in poor form, but I, too, encountered this issue. The bartender stood outside and did nothing for several in-game hours instead of tending the bar.

I was able to work around it by shift clicking the mixologist (with testing cheats enabled), clicking "Reset Object (Debug)" and then having my sim use the "Call Over" interaction on the mixologist. Once the mixologist came inside, my sim did NOT start a conversation with him. The "Call Over" interaction was the only social interaction I used. The mixologist stood there and stared at my sim for a few minutes and then went to the bar and started tending it. 

I DO think this may be a bug of some sort, but I'm not sure what's triggering it. It happened during the mixologist shift change in my game, so maybe something else happened that interrupted the script that directs the bartender to go to work and/or caused the action to get dropped from his queue somehow and he "forgot" that he needed to tend the bar?

I've noticed that actions DO tend to get dropped from queues quite often, even ones that I assign to my sims, and it causes a lot of problems. Autonomous actions seem to override assigned ones in terms of priority, which is the opposite of the way it should work. My sim will refuse to eat when I tell her to sometimes because she wants to play with the cat instead. Even if her hunger bar is in the red, she will refuse to eat if she wants to play with the cat and I have to fight her to keep her from starving herself to death over the cat (and no, she doesn't have the cat lover trait.)

It happens with actions that are supposed to be automatic, too. One of my kids refused to go to school and was 3 hours late for class because he was bound and determined to wash a dirty dish instead no matter how many times I canceled the "clean up" action and tried to send him to school instead. The things he NEEDED to do (and anything I told him to do) got dropped in favor of an autonomous action that ultimately wasn't that important and could have waited.

Stuff like that really shouldn't happen, and I suspect the mixologists standing outside instead of tending the bar may be rooted in the same problem that causes other queuing issues and is likely related to which actions take priority in a sim's queue in the game's code. Things like going to work shouldn't be dropped from queues and overridden by a sim's autonomous whims...but that does happen, and it results in mixologists who won't tend the bar (and other NPCs who won't do their jobs, like firefighters who stand outside and do nothing while a house burns to the ground and sims who refuse to listen when you tell them to extinguish it themselves). 

I know we have the option to turn off autonomy, but that kills so much of what can make the game enjoyable. Autonomy gives the game character and is a wonderful feature when it works properly...but it's game breaking when it doesn't. 

If there's a way to tweak the script and set priority levels for various actions in a sim's queue, (1. Necessary actions like going to work/go to school, 2. Player directed actions, 3. Autonomous actions chosen by the sim) it would help a ton in terms of the game's functionality. ,  

Anyway, I digress...

TLDR

If your mixologist is standing outside and will not come inside to tend the bar:

Press Ctrl+Shift+C to open the cheat console
Type testingcheats on
Shift+Click the mixologist and choose "Reset Object (Debug)"
Have your sim use the "Call Over" interaction on the mixologist
Then, do not engage! Ignore the mixologist after you've called him/her over, and he/she will go tend the bar like he/she is supposed to do

This workaround proved to be effective in my game, so hopefully others will find it helpful as well. 

Cheers! Standard smile 

UPDATE - 3/6/23: This workaround no longer works. No matter what I do, the bartender stands outside the lot and plays with his/her phone instead of tending the bar. Sims can't order drinks at venues at all anymore. Bar Nights are pointless. Bars themselves are pointless, as are Nightclubs and any other lot containing a bar.

Bartenders are flat out broken and do not work at all. Cheers revoked. 

Message 7 of 12 (12,025 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@BitterBubbly Something is broken with my account here because I can’t say me too or to give you XP. But I really do wish to agree with you and to thank you because I tried the workaround and it almost worked but it didn’t in the end. It’s frustrating. It’s one of the things that breaks once you have gone past the third generation.
Message 8 of 12 (5,231 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Never mind my account fixed itself. Good. I hope this issue gets a new focus and a fix. 

Message 9 of 12 (5,228 Views)

EA Sims Team
@animatedoodle

Hello!

If you are still encountering this on the latest game version (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!
Message 10 of 12 (5,206 Views)