Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Baby stuck in one state after being put in household inventory

by KittyCoSim

Original Post

[OPEN] Baby stuck in one state after being put in household inventory

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except My First Pet
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a baby in the household and take it in and out of the household inventory.
What happens when the bug occurs? The baby appear to get stuck in the state it was in before being put into the household inventory. If it was fine it never cries or sleeps, if it was crying it keeps crying forever, if it was sleeping it keeps sleeping forever, but the needs do actually decay, and taking care of them do actually work; a sleeping/fine baby will be taken away duo to neglect if you don't direct an adult sim to take care of it, while an eternally crying baby usually isn't taken away because the parents autonomously tries to take care of it.
What do you expect to see? I expect to get a proper audible and visual input to the babies need; blue portrait background and crying when it's actually hungry/dirty/lonely; green portrait background when actually fine; grayed out portrait and sleeping when it's actually sleeping.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

‌I was playing with a sim family and had need to change the house's position on the lot, so I moved the house back a bit and in the process the two babies in the household ended up in the inventory. I didn't think much of it and just put them back into the house. Afterwards I noticed that they never seemed to cry or sleep anymore (and they'd definitely done so before ending up in the inventory), at the time I just shrugged and didn't think to much of it, I had five other sims in the household not having to pay attention to the twins seemed nice. But then one of them was taken away duo to neglect. I was a bit upset, especially since it had been some time since I'd last saved.

To see if this was a one time thing I started a new save with a different couple and had them have a baby. I then, after checking that it did indeed cry and sleep, put it in the inventory and placed it back on the lot. Accidentally I did this just as the baby started crying about a dirty diaper. The baby would not stop crying at all. Changing the diaper, kept crying; feeding it, kept crying; playing with it, kept crying. On the other hand because the baby was constantly crying the parents would autonomously try to help him all the time and so he was never taken away.

After a bit I switched to another household and made another baby. This time I made sure the baby was sleeping before putting it in the inventory. Afterwards I put the game at ultra speed, let the adults do whatever they wanted and just watched the baby sleep. At some point I got a warning that the baby was really hungry and would be taken away if I didn't do anything about it, but the adults just kept on with what they were doing, and in the end after the baby had slept for at least 20 hours it was taken away duo to neglect. At the end I tried to check if the baby would wake up if I interacted with it, but it was whisked away in the middle of the action so I can't say for sure (I think the portrait was still grayed out even while the mother was holding it though).

Again I switched household and had another baby. I made sure it was crying about being hungry and put it in the inventory. Afterwards it kept crying non-stop no matter how much the parents tried feeding it, play with it, or change it's diaper.

I did notice the parents of the crying babies seemed to gain the parent skill awfully fast, but I'm pretty sure that was just a consequence of them trying constantly to take care of their babies.

Attached:

A baby that appears to be crying because it has a dirty diaper, but no 'change dirty diaper' option

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 23 (10,174 Views)

Re: Baby stuck in one state after being put in household inventory

Hero
I'm guessing the issue here is that they ended up in your household inventory. Don't think they should.

Were you actually able to manually move the babies in the crib to your household inventory the second time or did you do the same with with moving the house ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 23 (10,086 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The second, third, and fourth time I put the babies in the inventory manually (I picked them up and hit backspace). I think it's something that you're supposed to be able to do actually (to prevent you from losning the baby when bulldozing a lot or downloading a new house from the gallery), though if you try to leave build mode with a baby in the inventory the game won't let you and a pop-up explains that you need to take the baby out of the inventory before returning to live mode.

Message 3 of 23 (10,079 Views)

Hero

Hm so it's basically a temp storage thing for when you're building.

I'll add this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 23 (10,073 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

That's what I figured at least. The game treats the baby more like an object than a sim so it can't push the baby off the lot during renovations like it can other sims, the game needs to be able to put the baby in the inventory or it could be lost forever when the player does things like bulldozing the lot.

And the player being able to put the baby in the inventory is just convenient. You can just put it in there and not worry about it being in the way while building.

Message 5 of 23 (10,056 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I did another test and the first thing I noticed was when you pick up the basin with the baby in build mode there isn't actually an option on screen to put it in the inventory. So maybe I was wrong and you're not actually supposed to be able to put babies in there and it's just a glitch that you can do it with backspace. Anyway, this time I had the baby stuck on fine and after about half a day I was warned about the baby starving, but then nothing more happened. I watched the baby for two in game days, but it didn't disappear and I didn't get any more warnings, and as far as I could tell the other sims in the household ignored the baby completely. I probably should have tried to watch it a bit loner, but I'm tired and not really in the mood right now.

Message 6 of 23 (10,034 Views)

Hero
Yeah, that's what I was getting at but the fact that it gets put in the inventory when you move the house around sounds like intended behavior.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 23 (10,013 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Baby stuck in one state after being put in household inventory

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 23 (9,992 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Baby stuck in one state after being put in household inventory

★★★★ Apprentice

This just happened to me. I replaced a household's lot from one from the gallery and the two babies went to the inventory. I placed them in the new house and since then they were stuck sleeping, I made the mothers feed them after placing them but in the night I saw the notification that they would be taken away. It was then I realized they were stuck sleeping, I tried making the Sims feed them again and do other interactions but they didn't wake up. They finally behaved back to normal when I left to manage worlds and back, but that really scared me especially since it seem like feeding them both times when they were stuck sleeping didn't even fill their hunger needs. I believe they're back to normal now.

Message 9 of 23 (9,649 Views)

★★★ Novice

I believe if you wait long enough, they go back to normal. At least that happened to me after about two days. Granted, mine wasn't stuck on crying, so I was able to bear it lol

Message 10 of 23 (7,156 Views)