by cynthiaj89

Original Post

[OPEN] [BDK] Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All currently available DLC.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Set a lot to have the Off The Grid lot trait. Upgrade a vacuum with the Self-Charging Power Cell upgrade and attempt to use the vacuum.
What happens when the bug occurs? No matter the dust level the option to vacuum will state the appliance doesn’t work off the grid/without power. All other off the grid compatible items ie: stoves, fridges, tubs, showers etc, work upon placement albeit at a lower capacity, but they still function immediately after placing them without additional power sources ie: solar panels, windmills being placed.
What do you expect to see? I expect the vacuum to work off the grid, even if it takes longer to clean due to the diminished power. Like how stoves work off the grid, it takes longer to cook and the recipes are limited.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

To test this I removed my Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts and then loaded The Sims 4 and generated a new Sims 4 folder. I then replaced only my tray file to access my test family that has all skills maxed. I then placed them in an unaltered prebuilt in game house. I bought them a computer, all five vacuums and set the lot trait to Off The Grid. After I exited build/buy mode I had a sim purchase the necessary upgrade parts. I upgraded all 5 vacuums with the power cell upgrade that is supposed to enable the appliance to work off the grid. I tried in a clean house and none of the vacuums worked, all stated they couldn’t work off the grid. I let the dust build up. Still the vacuums stated they couldn’t work off the grid. There is also no mechanism like the mop, to manually clean the floors. Dust bunnies/fiends can be squashed, and large dust piles can be carried to the trash, but there is no way off the grid to entirely clean the floors. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 29 (9,786 Views)

Re: [BDK] Upgraded Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Yeah my Sims can't even vacuum without power either (even though they have the vacuums upgraded)! The green energy global policy (which turns power off from 12AM to 6AM) is active and my Sims can't vacuum at midnight because of this glitch. 

I play on Xbox so it seems us console players are having this issue too.

Message 2 of 29 (9,694 Views)

Re: [BDK] Upgraded Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

Hero

@Pamtastic72 

I am playing on an off the grid lot and found the same thing as you did.  None of the BTD vacuums will work, even when fully upgraded despite what the power cell upgrade tooltip says.  And I also found that the C&D robot vacuums don't work either.  I didn't expect them to work without power but I found that those can't even be upgraded on the lot until you get power going.  At least you can upgrade the BTD vacuums without any power.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 29 (9,653 Views)

Re: [BDK] Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem. Cant use vacuum off the grid even if I have stored power and generating +23 a day.

Message 4 of 29 (9,564 Views)

Re: [BDK] Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

★ Guide
@AzaineDragon I hope this is one of the things they plan to fix.
Message 5 of 29 (9,524 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [BDK] Vacuums Don’t Work Off The Grid

★★★★★ Novice
@Pamtastic72 Same issue. Hopefully they add brooms
Message 6 of 29 (9,176 Views)

★ Guide

I'm having the exact same problem. My Sims are living in an off-the-grid lot. I've upgraded the vacuum to be functional off-the-grid but it is not. All other off-the-grid appliances work as intended, but not the vacuums.

Message 7 of 29 (9,074 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yes! It would be great to see the upgraded vacuum work, or maybe the addition of a broom to help with the immersion? I enjoy the dust on my shipwreck lot, but I don't want to end up with a fire! 

Message 8 of 29 (8,696 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice
@Pamtastic72 Same here! They need to fix it so the upgrades will work, add broom and mop, and for Realm of Magic Scruberoo spell to handle the cleaning.
Message 9 of 29 (8,469 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes please EA get this fixed. I play with dust with no problems most of the time but I have to turn it off for my one family who lives off the grid. It’s super annoying to have to remember to turn it back on between households. I would love to see something more than just the upgrade to vacuum cleaners to fix this. There should be brooms/mops added (not just the magical pocket mop) or I should be able to click on the ground and have my sims scrub the floor or something. They can pick up the piles but it wasn’t enough. After a couple weeks off-the-grid they were so upset I had no choice but to turn off the dust effects.

Message 10 of 29 (8,375 Views)