[FIXED] [BDK] No Dust Appearing on Residential Lots

by Edouble72

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] [BDK] No Dust Appearing on Residential Lots

★★ Guide

I already reported it here during the last month, but just passing by to say that, even after the last patch, the problem still persists with me. It's unfortunate that a simple kit, with a single gameplay, doesn't work as it should. (Portuguese. PC Origin, 1. 91 xx, all packs, no mods/ cc).

Message 51 of 154 (2,362 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I feel like Bust the Dust is turning into Bust the bugs at this point. That pack keeps having issues and it's a Small kit. Yeah I turned off the dust system since Dust doesn't appear.

Message 52 of 154 (2,353 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

While I was doing some testing to figure out if it was game or mod thing, for another issue which may or may not be related to the floors and clean/dust issue; I did notice on shift-clicking the floor has options "DEBUG: Force Error" and "DEBUG: Force Assert" and after clicking them, a moment later in game one of y sims does get the "Someone lives here" moodlet saying there's a small layer of dust, though the floors still sparkle. and the check dust level still claims dustless floors.

Saving and reloading, or zoning seems to "reset" the floor state back to it's bugged state, which happened around the time of... Cottage Living? Some patch/release after broke the Bust the Dust kit.

Message 53 of 154 (2,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Okay, I made a mistake and amending a statement I made with the BTD kit, It can accumulate on old saves after 2-3 days on the lot.

After a lot of testing, what I had to do to fix it is this. You have to do it this way or it won't work.

1) While your save file is open, Open Game Options and turn off the dust system in 'bust the dust' tab (if it's on, turn it off)

2) Save and exit the game

3) Re-open the game and play the save

4) After it finishes loading and shows your sims home, open the game options and re-enable BTD's 'dust system'

After a few days, the dust will accumulate again, I tested this across multiple saves of mine, and make sure your robot vacuums are off since they'll clean the floor. (You have to do this for each save that was affected)

(For PC users, This is partly linked to Fogitys unlock if you have the mod. (this mod also causes sims to be promoted in the wrong attire)

If you still run into issues, let me know. I’m still trying to see if it sticks after the dust is vacuumed.**

(edited for clarity)  

**edit 2: the dust system does not stick after saving and quitting (after leaving the BTD system on) this is because the game turns it off, despite it looking like it’s on.

it does stick if you leave the lot, come back and turn the system off and on. (Without quitting the game)

If you followed the steps, it will stay for the current gameplay session, if you follow your sim to work or travel, it’ll turn off, so you can reenable it without quitting)

This is a temporary workaround, but it works; the team will need to find out why it’s not remembering the choice.

Message 54 of 154 (5,936 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think I've been having this problem too. At first I thought it was a mod slowing it down too much but when I took the mod out and tested a new save, still no dust accumulation

Message 55 of 154 (2,292 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Even after the last patch Sept 30th, the dust is still not appearing. Sometimes my sims will get the "someone lives here" moodlet, but the floors atill sparkle. Dust never visually accumulates, though it worked fine before the HSY patch.

Message 56 of 154 (2,204 Views)

★★ Novice

I have this exact issue. I don't have all the packs (last ones I got were Cottage Living/Paranormal, with the exception of Batuu). It makes the noise as if the house is getting dusty and my Sims get the moodlet as if someone is living there but they also have the 'super clean' moodlet as well as the floor being sparkly and shiny. Tried reinstalling, same issue. Old and new files have the issue, games with mods as well as save files where they've never had a mod installed.

Message 57 of 154 (1,992 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Having the same issue! I can't believe this problem is a month old. My sim owns a vacuum and it's an old save where the house used to need vacuuming but since the July High School update no dust accumulates.

Message 58 of 154 (1,973 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I'm having the same issue. No dust appears regardless of the game settings. PC, no mods.

Message 59 of 154 (1,931 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I appreciate Neechan1's efforts on finding work-arounds for some of this, but I don't feel like this should be marked as a solution.  Every time you toggle the setting off and back on (as you have to do every time you quit out of the game, follow a sim to a Get to Work job, or visit another lot, etc), the dust accumulation resets (in my tests, going from the "Someone Lives Here" moodlet before leaving to "Sparkling Clean" after toggling the setting to get the dust system back upon returning, despite not vacuuming ever).  So you will only ever get dust accumulation if you play continuously for 3+ Sim days without ever leaving the lot.  Personally, I almost never go that long without leaving my lot.  While this is helpful for those that stay in one place for long play sessions, it certainly should not be marked as "Solved."  Hopefully that's just for visibility for a sort-of-kinda way to still get some dust if you REALLY need it for the aspirations, and not because EA thinks this is workable enough to lower the priority of a real fix.

Message 60 of 154 (1,877 Views)