by Meriellen5

Original Post

[OPEN] Auto-solving energy needs creates 'Pick up Toddler' instead

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.55.105.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Get to Work, Strangerville, Parenthood, Spa Day, Vampires, Laundry Day, Toddler Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Perfect Patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. In a household with toddlers (I have 2) and parents (also 2), let the energy need decay to a critical (red) level. 2. Click on the energy icon to try and auto-solve.
What happens when the bug occurs? Assuming the queue isn't full, the interaction becomes to "Pick Up" a toddler. Social auto-solve doesn't do anything (doesn't work at all), while other auto-solve interactions work as expected. I don't know if the Pick-Up for the toddler is the nearest toddler or the only one that's awake, but it is the only awake toddler that shows up when I try and do an auto-solve energy interaction for my parent Sim. This occurs regardless of mood, as long as the Energy need has decayed to a red level. Sometimes items in the queue don't go away even after clicking to X them out, which means the auto-solve interactions don't get added (but I don't get the queue is full message).
What do you expect to see? I expect the auto-solve for Energy to actually be an energy-boosting action, like sleeping, napping, or grabbing something caffeinated.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I noticed the issue after the recent early September 2019 update, even with all my scripts/mods disabled (the default after an update). I don't think it has anything to do with mods because of this. I have also already repaired the game and all the packs.

Message 1 of 13 (2,995 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Auto-solving energy needs creates 'Pick up Toddler' instead

★★★ Guide

This has been an issue for a very long time. If the toddler has low energy, clicking on a sim's energy bar will cause them to put the toddler to bed instead of going to bed themselves.

Message 2 of 13 (2,906 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice
@ArcherAngelo Is the idea that the parent sim "picks up" the toddler and is then supposed to get another action to put them to bed? I've never seen another interaction appear after the parent picks up the toddler -- just pick up and then put down -- and the parent sim is still low energy.
Message 3 of 13 (2,886 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I didn't have this issue until a few weeks ago.  I bought Seasons just a couple days before the Sept 5 patch and started having this issue.  I can't remember if this issue occurred in the couple days prior to the patch, but I know for sure it was not happening before Seasons/Sept 5 patch.

Message 4 of 13 (2,863 Views)

★★★ Guide

I've seen this issue off and on since toddlers were added. It occurs with some households and not with others. Never did figure out the exact trigger but it's been around for awhile. I guess I don't notice it much because I rarely use auto-solve since Sims tend to make dumb choices at times, lol (like why are you getting coffee  when it's 4 am??). 

Message 5 of 13 (2,851 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This was a thing in my game at all times for a long time.

Honestly, I just assumed it was by design as a "take care of the toddler first", especially when the toddler's energy need is low (kinda like if they're on a different lot and I send them home, the adults/teens pick up any toddler that belongs to the family and only then head out.)

ETA: the adults do put the toddler to bed and then I need to click auto-solve again so they go to sleep too (or get coffee, in the more frustrating instances) 

Message 6 of 13 (2,829 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm wondering how it works if the toddler's needs are fine and the parent Sim is the one with the energy needs. I've noticed that the auto-solve will pick up a toddler Sim even if that toddler sim is in bed, so I'm not sure if the trigger is that the parent AND the toddler both have low energy. I've also never seen another action start after the Pick Up, even when I let the action go through. Even with a nanny/babysitter, trying to handle toddlers was hard!

Message 7 of 13 (2,804 Views)

★ Guide

So I did a small test on how this works when the toddlers are fine energy-wise and the parent is tired. Clicked on the energy need and parent went to bed, leaving the toddlers be (two of them in the house). 

It makes me think that it's by design, potentially linked to the super-parent mode that your adult Sim can reach in the parenting skill? Toddler care always takes priority over own needs, probably. 

Message 8 of 13 (2,771 Views)

Auto-solve Sleep Causes Sim to Pick Up Toddler

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansions: All Game Packs: Dine Out, Spa Day, Strangerville Stuff Packs: My First Pet, Perfect Patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? See below
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim picks up the toddler instead of going to bed.
What do you expect to see? The Sim to go to bed.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. 1.62.67.1020

Steps to Finding Bug

1. Have a Sim in a household be a parent of a toddler
  2. Assign a bed to the Sim
  3. Have the Sim be in the same room as the toddler
  4. Click on the auto-solve button for sleep

Only the sleep auto-solve is affected.  None of the other ones are affected.

Message 9 of 13 (2,475 Views)

★★★ Pro

@simmyfroggy 

It makes me think that it's by design, potentially linked to the super-parent mode that your adult Sim can reach in the parenting skill?

My Sim has low parenting skill and still picks up the toddler.

Message 10 of 13 (2,459 Views)