No option to disable double tap to sprint.

by DeltaPhoenix42

Original Post

No option to disable double tap to sprint.

★★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Cannot disable double tap W to sprint. I consider this a bug/oversight on the behalf of the developers because Battlefield 4 & Battlefield 1 have the option to turn it off. This bug is also present in Battlefield Hardline, please fix it as well! This is an extremely aggravating "feature" to not be able to turn off because my character will stop aiming when I don't want him to. Please fix this issue and add the option to disable it just like in bf4 & bf1.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Captain_I_Sp00n
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? Every time I play the game.
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) Every time I play the game.
In what game mode did the bug occur? Campaign
What is your time zone? ECT - GMT + 1:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to Options -> Gameplay Options and observe the lack of double tap sprint option.
What happens when the bug occurs? I release W and right click to ADS then push W again to move forward while ADS but my character stops aiming and starts sprinting.
What do you expect to see? I release W and right click to ADS then push W again to move forward while ADS.
Please select your region Europe
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

For gamemode I selected campaign but this bug quite obviously affects ALL gamemodes!

Message 1 of 14 (8,731 Views)

Re: No option to disable double tap to sprint.

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @DeltaPhoenix42

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I cannot promise that such feature will appear in the game, but I will pass your opinion to our developers.

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 14 (8,622 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Thanks for passing it on, I really hope they can fix this because it is very very annoying that it breaks ADS when I'm shooting at someone. Also the option to disable it is in bf4 and bf1 so it really shouldn't be that hard to add it to Battlefront 2. In my opinion this double tap W to sprint shouldn't even be in a shooter, using shift to sprint has been a staple of shooter games as far back as I can remember. I don't mean to be rude but I'm honestly quite baffled that this is an issue at all especially since the option is available in games that run the same engine. Also, I'm not the only one who takes issue with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7l0lyv/dear_dice_let_us_disable_double_tapping...

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/87096/disable-double-tapping-w-to-sprint
Message 3 of 14 (8,603 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for the additional information @DeltaPhoenix42 Standard smile These threads will be useful!

/Ataashi

Message 4 of 14 (8,582 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
I found another 2 post's on reddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7uusnw/disable_running_when_double_tapping_w/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7ikmsy/how_do_you_disable_running_with_double_...

Anything to report on your end?

As you can see there are quite a few people who are vocal about this and I'm sure there are many more who are affected that haven't expressed it online. This affects people who use toggle aim and I'm sure there are many that don't even know what is causing their soldier to stop aiming so they don't even know what to search to find a fix for it. Why have the option to toggle aim when there is a permanent "feature" that breaks that option completely? The logic is flawed on so many levels, like why not port the option to disable double tap sprint from the main Battlefield games?? This would probably take a GUI developer less than half an hour. The most time consuming aspect of the process would be the bureaucracy to get it to the attention of said developer and to get it approved!

When I noticed it in Battlefield 4, since it was on by default, I thought my mouse was faulty and double clicking instead of single clicking when I pressed the right mouse button to aim. (I disassembled my mouse to try and fix it!) I stopped playing the game until about two years later when Battlefield 1 came out and the problem wasn't present in that game (disabled by default with the option to enable it) so I investigated further. I found the option to disable double tap forward to sprint and I could finally play Battlefield 4! Ofcourse now it was riddled with hackers and, well, I prefer Battlefield 1 anyways... I really like Battlefront 2 though so I don't want to give it up like I did with Hardline and Battlefield 4...

It's 2018 and we have some niche "feature" in a AAA game that you can't disable? What other shooter has double tap forward to sprint? None that I can think of, it's more of an RPG type of movement system if you ask me, Minecraft has it... Lol.
Message 5 of 14 (8,185 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Any of these features we can't choose if we want On or Off, or even if it should be mapped to this or to another key is IMO a bad game design. We can't disable double tap to sprint, we can't change the Field of View on Spaceships, we can't change the key to trigger the double zoom (unless we change the melee key too as they are hardlocked), we can't disable AIM-Assist if using a controller on PC. We can't even play splitscreen on PC. We can't start a group with all members muted, we're forced to manually mute every new player who joins our group.

And all of this can be solved by simply putting menu itens to change these values which are there, but we can't reach. It's not creating something new, or solving a mysterious BUG, it's just giving us the option to change/use stuff that makes sense to be changed/used, be it because in another similar situation it can be changed/used (FoV for soldiers, splitscreen on console, AIM-Assist on console) or because it makes no sense we can't reach it (double tapping for sprint, melee button locked to double zoom button, disabling voice chat on ingame groups by default).

Please mods, pass the message forward that giving us the ability to change these properties will please anyone concerned with this, and won't displease anyone else as this doesn't have any reason to displease anyone, as it doesn't change game for those who don't care about these options.

Message 6 of 14 (8,169 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Preach my friend! I absolutely agree with you, I'm all for player choice and you make a lot of good points! For me the most game breaking thing right now is the Double tap sprint problem but the dual zoom is pretty ridiculous as well! I just don't use the dual zoom because it's so awkward the way it's mapped, I'd map it to the scroll wheel up/down if I could though and then I'd actually use it...

Another thing I thought was weird when I first played the game is that some of the abilities that are almost the same for different classes are in a different slot. For example the healing abilities, sometimes they are in the middle and sometimes on the right. There is no way to map the keys so that all healing abilities end up on the same key. They should add ability key bindings to the individual classes, just add the interface to change these bindings to the class screen where you can look at the abilities and what they do!

Aim assist shouldn't even be present on PC games in my opinion because it creates an uneven playing field! There are mods that let you use the controller aim assist with a mouse and keyboard..... Now just imagine how broken that is! If you are going to add aim assist to a PC game though, then separate the players using it from those who have it disabled. GTA5 had the right idea here, if it works for them, it will work for other games too. Aim assist servers and no aim assist servers, even better is if you matched the PC aim assist users with the console players! Cross platform networking might be a hurdle but I know it's not impossible and it's not like EA doesn't have the resources...

Message 7 of 14 (8,153 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Oh yeah and another thing, a lot of people on the StarWarsBattlefront subreddit are asking for more options on binding the dodge roll, I like it the way it is as it's own binding but I bet it's annoying as hell for them! I saw people asking for an option to double tap the crouch button to perform the roll and others asking for double tapping of the directional keys (WASD) based on the direction you want to roll obviously. Personally I have the dodge roll bound to the browser forward button on my mouse which works wonders together with pressing the direction I want to roll with WASD!

Message 8 of 14 (8,151 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this post is 2years old but i havent found any other post where i can comment. I installed the game today and literally 15 mins in and i already want to throw it out the window. WHY is there no option to disable this annoying  double tap sprint. My character sprint every time im supposed to be crouching to stealth on a mission.

Message 9 of 14 (6,107 Views)

★ Apprentice

how is this still not a thing? do the devs even play their game?

it's so annoying to use a sniper with this double-tap to sprint "feature"

Message 10 of 14 (5,742 Views)