Re: No ability to report voice chat trolls, griefers, and insults on PC.

by Zeelmaekers

Original Post

No ability to report voice chat trolls, griefers, and insults on PC.

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number nVidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 11
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? cheatercheater00
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. every part of the map
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. just playing as regular
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 2
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) last week (somewhere between 25 and 31 March 2019. I only played a few games)
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? People griefing and insulting via voice chat. I've spent a whole game with a guy insulting me and trying to entice me into a swearing fight. This diminished my enjoyment of the game by a large amount. There is no way to report such people as trolls or griefers: there are options to report players, but you can only report them for cheating and similar things. There is no option to report them as abusing the voice chat. There should be an option to do this, so that people can be barred from using voice chat (for at least some time). There should be the following options, and you should be able to select one or more depending on situation: - insults people, griefing, spoils fun - very loud / shouts into the microphone - plays music via the microphone - broken microphone (produces static or buzzing) - lots of echo I do understand there is an option to mute a player from gameplay, but if a system like I describe above were in place, this issue would not have happened in the first place, because that person would have been reported by others before he managed to reach me on one of a couple of games I played of Apex on Windows ever. I played hundreds of games on xbox and there has never been such an issue.
What should be happening instead? There should be an option to report people due to voice related issues, as described above.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game twice, that's literally all I did and I ran into a griefer. This is bad performance, and you should have a system in place that curbs this sort of thing. I know XBox does have a system like this that is provided to Apex, whereas on PC you don't have that, and this means your voice system is a refuge for griefers and trolls.

Please completely rework the voice system. As it is currently it is really bad.

Please let people indicate what languages they speak (and select multiple, really important!) so that they can be paired with others who speak the same language. When one server region / availability zone includes people who speak English, German, Serbian, Turkish, Croatian, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Italian, and Hungarian, you should be grouping people by language to maximize game enjoyment.

There should be strong features for self-control by the community. Community members should be able to report other users for griefing, but also /all reports should be checked by a community manager who works for EA/. There should be a clear system of penalties for griefing and abusing voice chat. Repeated, multiple, severe infractions should result in long-term removal of ability to do voice chat / take part in forums / etc. This should be supported by a method of limiting the rate at which people can create new accounts. Otherwise, being banned from voice will just mean the person will simply create a new account and keep on trolling users.

This is a LOT of figuring out for you guys. XBox has a great system in place for that, and you have a LOT of catching up to do. Fairly certain EA as a whole can benefit from having a system like that in place, because it obviously doesn't, and that's pretty bad. This game desperately needs it as the PC version is objectively, significantly less fun than the XBox version due to lack of community oversight and control of griefers. Hire someone to design this system who's actually worked in curbing community trolling in a large platform before - this absolutely isn't something that should be designed by a team of programmers (this I say knowing the reality of this because I am a programmer myself).

Please take this seriously, as proper handling of this issue will severely impact the growth of Apex Legends on PC compared to consoles, and compared to other titles.

Message 1 of 13 (3,991 Views)

One of the fields has had the newlines stripped out of it. Here it is again, formatted nicely.

What happens when the bug occurs?

People griefing and insulting via voice chat. I've spent a whole game with a guy insulting me and trying to entice me into a swearing fight. This diminished my enjoyment of the game by a large amount. There is no way to report such people as trolls or griefers: there are options to report players, but you can only report them for cheating and similar things. There is no option to report them as abusing the voice chat. There should be an option to do this, so that people can be barred from using voice chat (for at least some time).

There should be the following options, and you should be able to select one or more depending on situation:

• insults people, griefing, spoils fun
  • very loud / shouts into the microphone
  • plays music via the microphone
  • broken microphone (produces static or buzzing)
  • lots of echo

I do understand there is an option to mute a player from gameplay, but if a system like I describe above were in place, this issue would not have happened in the first place, because that person would have been reported by others before he managed to reach me on one of a couple of games I played of Apex on Windows ever. I played hundreds of games on the XBox and there has never been such an issue.

Message 2 of 13 (3,982 Views)

Hey there!

There is a option to mute other players.

Go to your inventory, press "legends" and then click on the speaker icon at his profile.

This should mute him and give you a better time playing the game.

This behaviour can be reported and is taken very seriously.

There is no place for toxic players - harassing other players here.

Click me for information how to report abuse and harassment.

If you have any other complains or questions, please let me know below!

Zeelmaekers

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 3 of 13 (3,971 Views)

Hi @Zeelmaekers, as mentioned in the original post I know there is a way to mute players. And as mentioned in the post, this is not a solution to the problem. This needs to be addressed by talking to the dev team to implement a system for reporting toxic players. No, the link you provided does not count as a method to report toxic players. The link you provided requires a multi-step process that requires me to:

1. write down the user's name on a piece of paper
  2. exit the game
  3. log into the Origin website
  4. navigate to the area that deals with reporting abusive behavior
  5. fill out an extensive report in a form
  6. finally, report the user

This is ridiculous. No one will do this. This is why Apex has all those trolls. I will not see this issue as resolved until there is a quick, simple, way of reporting a troll from within the game, in the squad menu. The people handling the reports should receive a recording of the voice chat for the duration of the game as well as text chat so they can review whether abuse has happened. This needs to happen from within the game. Not on the EA/Origin website, not in the Origin overlay, but from within the game itself.

Please make sure this issue is presented to the developers. Are you able to do this? If it's not within your abilities please let me know and I will try contacting the developers in another way.

Message 4 of 13 (3,962 Views)

Hey there!

I'll see what i can do for you.

I will share this information with the right people and take it as positive feedback.

they also know this is not the best way of reporting but it's currently the best way of reporting we have.

I stand 100% behind a in-game reporting system for harassment / expanding the reporting system.

Zeelmaekers

Message 5 of 13 (3,957 Views)

Thanks, I appreciate this a lot. I hope this will lead to Apex becoming a much more welcoming community on PC, like it already is on XBox. Hopefully this game will see a huge amount of growth thanks to this platform! As it stands I'm afraid people will install the game, meet unfriendly people like that (there are lots of them), and get discouraged from ever picking up Apex again. So I hope this gets fixed for the sake of everyone. Please can you reply here in case this gets acknowledged as an item that will be worked on? Thanks!

Message 6 of 13 (3,952 Views)

Thank you for the feedback, it's appreciated!

Have fun in the arena! :eahigh_file:

Message 7 of 13 (3,948 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I agree completely. It's just toxic to run into all these people who are just trolls when you're trying to have fun. If they wanted to complain and be so toxic, they should have had their own squads so they can feed off each other rather than random people who want to just play.

Message 8 of 13 (3,875 Views)

Agreed, this is the one thing that kills Apex on the PC for me. I play on Xbox only because of that.

Message 9 of 13 (3,858 Views)

★ Novice

Honestly... this is one of the reasons i like playing Apex, there IS no Abusive Chat report function, in other games like Overwatch you're getting reported for abusive chat just because people dont like you, or died because of you, it has become a dislike button, and after 100 reports you're banned. I hope this never happens with apex

Message 10 of 13 (3,832 Views)