NHL 23 Phantom Controller Bug after Controller Disconnects on Xbox Series X

by Cave_Waverider

Original Post

NHL 23 Phantom Controller Bug after Controller Disconnects on Xbox Series X

★★★★ Guide

Product: NHL 23
Platform:Xbox Series X
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? Cave Waverider
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? . Start an (offline) match with a controller controlling a team. 2. Pause the game and wait until the controller turns off due to being idle (this happens a lot when you need to answer the door, help someone or take a phone call) or the battery runs out. 3. Continue the game. 4. Note that suddenly the players don't react to controller inputs. 5. Pause the game again. 6. Go to Settings->Select Sides 7. See that there is now a phantom controller assigned to your team and you can't unassign it, but your controller now has a different color and you can select a side. 8. No matter what you do, there is now a phantom controller in this game that you can't remove and you need to leave the game.
What happens when the bug occurs? When the bug occurs, there is a phantom controller assigned to a side that can't be unassigned and the game becomes basically unplayable until you exit the match.
What do you expect to see? When the controller turns itself off or disconnects, it should automatically be unassigned or if you reconnect it, it should be reassinged as the same controller in the game. Another possible quick fix would be to add an "unassign all controllers from sides" function in the select sides menu.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here Play a match in Offline Play, probably other modes as well.
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 21:15
What is your time zone? ECT - GMT + 1:00
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Please fix the phantom Controller bug on Xbox Series X.

Message 1 of 29 (8,534 Views)

Re: NHL 23 Phantom Controller Bug after Controller Disconnects on Xbox Series X

★★★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue in Be a Pro as well.  Also happened on NHL22.  Ridiculous this bug still exists, easily reproducible.

Message 2 of 29 (8,390 Views)

Betreff: NHL 23 Phantom Controller Bug after Controller Disconnects on Xbox Seri

★ Guide
@Cave_Waverider yeah ghost-controller are an issue in every EA game.. don´t ask why... in addition the no vibration bug... it drives me nuts. at first i gave up on fifa, then madden... i really love nhl but it bothers me that EA is not able to release a bug free, polished game, particularly for offline players.
Message 3 of 29 (8,360 Views)

★ Novice

it does the same thing on xbox one version

Message 4 of 29 (8,233 Views)

★ Guide

This also happens when using the Xbox app on windows. I cast/play the game from my Xbox one over to my laptop/screen using the xbox app, and if the main controller disconnects (idle, batteries, whatever), when I get back into the game there is at least 1 ghost controller added and the main controller becomes a secondary one. Every time the controller disconnects, once you come back from idle status there is a new ghost controller added.

At that point one of the the ghost controllers becomes the main controller; if I'm on the pre-game screen, the ghost controller is auto assigned to my team and even if assign my controller also to my team there is no way to enter the game if not pressing Y as per a cpu vs cpu game. At that point, I have to go into the Select Sides menu and FINALLY I can assign my controller to my team, un-assign all the ghost controllers and start the game.

Message 5 of 29 (8,030 Views)

★ Guide
@BourbonGoat Yeah, has been a problem since 22 maybe even before
Message 6 of 29 (8,025 Views)

Two controllers glich nhl 23

★★★ Newbie

Product: NHL 23
Platform:Xbox Series S
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? Upholdtonka
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game two controllers it’s annoying
What happens when the bug occurs? A bunch of controllers show up when there only one
What do you expect to see? A lot better then this
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here Franchise play now
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 4:23 pm
What is your time zone? PRT - GMT - 4:00
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Two controllers 

Fix please 🙏 

Message 7 of 29 (7,863 Views)

Re: Two controllers glich nhl 23

★★★★★ Newbie
@Yellowhorn8 Exactly the same thing and I also don't have any vibration anymore.

I'm on Xbox Series X
Message 8 of 29 (7,736 Views)

Re: Two controllers glich nhl 23

★★★★ Novice

It happens in almost all game modes. I am consistently seeing multiple controllers in all game modes.

Message 9 of 29 (7,669 Views)

★★★ Novice

can confirm XBOX support knows about the issue and has tried to contact EA to fix the issue with the Xbox app as well, but EA has yet to do anything

Message 10 of 29 (7,647 Views)

nhl-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help