[NEEDS SAVES] Trash Cans Stop Working on Some Lots

by PipMenace

Original Post

Outdoor Trashcans Suddenly Not Working

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.80.69.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work and Cottage Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure. It happened to me very suddenly today and I've never had the issue before.
What happens when the bug occurs? Teen-Elder sims cannot interact with any of the outdoor trashcans. There is no highlight when I hover over them and clicking on the object doesn't do anything. Toddlers can interact with the object with the "What's that?" action. Deleting and rebuying the trashcan does not change this. As a result, my sims are constantly complaining about unpleasant surroundings indoors and outdoors (even though there are no visible trash piles anywhere), I cannot clean chicken coops, clean the toddler toilet, etc. When I tell a sim to clean the coop or the toddler toilet, the action is greyed out and hovering over the action tells me there is no outdoor trashcan.
What do you expect to see? I expect the trashcan to highlight when I mouse over it, show me the pie chart of actions when I click on it, and I expect to be able to drag trash piles into the trashcan.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I've been playing almost daily for the past 3-4 months, different save files, different families, etc. but all of a sudden my current save file is having issues with the outdoor trashcan. This has just happened today and has not been an issue previously.

Teen-Elder sims cannot interact with any of the outdoor trashcans on residential lots. There is no highlight when I hover over them and clicking on the object doesn't do anything. Toddlers can interact with the object with the "What's that?" action. Deleting and rebuying the trashcan does not change this. As a result, my sims are constantly complaining about unpleasant surroundings indoors and outdoors (even though there are no visible trash piles anywhere), I cannot clean chicken coops, clean the toddler toilet, etc.

I can, however, interact with outdoor trashcans on different pre-built residential lots, ie. the Pancakes' house, the Goth residence, etc. 

I removed my mods and CC and repaired the game, then tested this on each one of my save current files, a brand new save file, and in different worlds and it's happening in every single one of them.

I backed up all of my saves, deleted my original The Sims 4 folder in my documents, launched the game again brand new, and it's STILL happening. 

Message 31 of 43 (1,826 Views)

Re: Outdoor Trashcans Suddenly Not Working

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Having the same issue where my sim refuses to auto place garbage to the outside bin. They will add it to the indoor bin but refuses to go outside and places the garbage right back down in front of them.

This is happening at the Cordella's Secret Cottage lot.

I can confirm they will auto place it to the outside bin only if the garbage is outside. 

Seems Sims can't figure out where the only bin is on the lot if it's not in the same room.

Message 32 of 43 (1,518 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Trash Cans Stop Working on Some Lots

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform: PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Always (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.82.99.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions, all game packs except Journey to Batuu, all stuff packs, no kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim attempt to take the trash out from the indoor to the outdoor can.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I try to have my sims take the trash out they just take it out of the indoor can and place it on the floor. It acts like the outdoor trashcan is an unusable object. I also can't pick up the can when someone kicks it over, I have to enter build mode and move it for it to right itself. I think the game is treating outdoor garbage cans like regular objects with no interactions available.
What do you expect to see? Sims should be able to empty indoor cans by taking them to the outdoor can.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes.
Please describe the patch or change you made. The quick patch from earlier in the week seems to have caused it because I wasn't having issues before that.

I am including the link to my save if it helps preemptively. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kOxLU36bMfZHhxpO31Z3Zn73AvZP-ajp/view?usp=sharing

Message 33 of 43 (1,448 Views)

Sim cannot take out trash

★★★★ Novice

I noticed this is across all of my households. I have an outdoor trashcan but unable to take out the trash.

She is able to throw things away just fine but when I have her "empty trash," she just shrugs and acts like something is in the way. I have moved the trashcan into the center of the room, other rooms, and outdoors. She is still unable to empty trash. 

All I can do is sell trashcan and buy her new. Pretty annoying but not life-threatening.

Message 34 of 43 (1,363 Views)

Re: Sim cannot take out trash

Hey @weepingdelilah,

I've moved your post to a more relevant board than EA General Questions.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 35 of 43 (1,321 Views)

NPC interactions cause trash cans to no longer function.

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.90.375.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Several, almost all
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Every time an NPC sim walks by my house and decides to interact with the outdoor trash can (Rummage, Kick, etc.) the trash can stops functioning.
What happens when the bug occurs? When an NPC sim interacts with any outdoor trash can the game decides that the object no longer exists. All trash objects and dirty dishes show a greyed-out interaction claiming there is no trash can. It does not matter in you have any valid indoor trash can available, if the outside one is bugged you can't even wash your dirty dishes. Played sims cannot interact with the bugged can. The only temporary solution is to enter build/buy mode and manually move or replace the object.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to use trash cans as intended. NPC sims should have a decreased likelihood of interacting with the trash cans, and/or the interaction should be fixed so that it no longer bugs out the trash can object.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

NPC interactions cause trash cans to no longer function.

Message 36 of 43 (1,348 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This happens to me too. Neighbourhood: Moonwood Hill. But it happens in other neighbourhoods too. When I click on the trash can it displays "pick up" although already up. But nothing can be done until you do. See attachment.

Message 37 of 43 (1,021 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I have that sometimes. It’s a visual glitch. When a sim or a dog throws over a trash can, it sometimes still appears up instead of being on the ground. That’s why it doesn’t work. You have to click it and have a sim pick it up, and then you can use it again. 

Message 38 of 43 (998 Views)

EA Sims Team

Marked as Solution for Visibility. This is still an open issue.

Hello All,

If any of you are still encountering this on the latest game version (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!

Message 39 of 43 (4,180 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@PipMenaceI also have this bug, have had it for years now. I tried to make a thread about this bug here but EA forums is not too good because I pressed Submit and filled all the information in order to make a simple thread. Feels very limiting and frustrating to come here from The Sims Forums in order to report bugs, it worked better when there was still a Bugs and Glitches sub category in the Sims forums years ago, I don't know why it got moved here completely. Please fix this bug EA, it is bothering me so much! I wish this forums would be more accessible for people who also don't know or wish to share their save files directly, it may feel a little invasive to some players' privacy, while the intentions can be good, not all people want to share their game saves. But the trash can bug needs to get fixed. My Sims can't get rid of their trash in every game save, the bug occurs most of the time when I play with one household for a while. Please fix this bug Frown

Message 40 of 43 (436 Views)