Re: Stair Rails 'Popping' through Walls and Windows (Patch 1.73)

by stjmk

Original Post

[OPEN] Stair Rails 'Popping' through Walls and Windows (Patch 1.73)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.73.57.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University, Eco Lifestyle, Snowy Escape, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, StrangerVille, Realm of Magic, Luxury Party, Perfect Patio, Cool Kitchen, Spooky Stuff, Movie Hangout, Romantic Garden, Kids Room, Backyard, Vintage Glamour, Bowling Night, Fitness, Toddler, Laundry Day, My First Pet, Moschino, Tiny Living, Nifty Knitting, Paranormal, Country Kitchen, Bust the Dust, Holiday. (Everything but Journey to Batuu and Throwback Fit)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When in b/b, place a staircase next to a wall. Place a banister on the staircase.
What happens when the bug occurs? When the bug occurs, the banister touching the wall will clip badly.
What do you expect to see? I would like to see the option of auto banisters as we have with bunk beds.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I have disabled and removed all mods/cc and the issue is still occurring. I'm aware there was a patch update on 4/28. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 17 (4,988 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@abstractousYep, this happens with a fair number of the stair rails in the game. Some of them behave, but lots don't. Without any cc or mods. Way back before the latest patches, it's been a thing.

"I would like to see the option of auto banisters as we have with bunk beds."

Wouldn't it be nice?

Edited to add: I had no idea this was supposed to be fixed. Ever. Some of my stair rails always behave, and some of them never do.

Message 2 of 17 (4,892 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Could anyone experiencing this issue possibly share a save file with me where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save. Uploading the affected lot to the Gallery would also work. Thanks so much for the help!

Instructions for sharing your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 3 of 17 (4,820 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@SimGuruNickThank you. I've got one in the Gallery: Potters Splay. There's a strategically placed painting that camouflages it a bit, but the stair rail is still coming through the wall.

I'm all updated with the latest patch.

It's the Selvadoranian stair rail in there. I tried replacing it with a well-behaved stair rail and then trying the original Selvadoranian stair rail again. No dice.

Message 4 of 17 (4,805 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Stair Rails 'Popping' through Walls and Windows (Patch 1.73)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Seeing the stair railings pop through or stick out (however you want to put it) through the walls is HIGHLY annoying. But it's always been a thing since I can remember. At least on console anyways (PS4 PRO). It's super tacky and unfortunately I feel it'll never be addressed or fixed.. I can't remember a time I HADN'T seen it in the game. Sure would be nice if this was added to the "Laundry List". That and adding some spiral staircases which for some reason we don't have after 7+ years..

Message 5 of 17 (4,654 Views)

★★★ Guide
@stjmk AGREED! This is FAR from fixed.
Message 6 of 17 (4,472 Views)

★★★ Guide
@MadameNordica It also happens with ROOF TRIM.
Message 7 of 17 (4,471 Views)

★★ Pro

Hey @SimGuruNick , I made a build that demonstrates this bug and while I was at it, I added in some other build issues that I'm constantly seeing in my game. I shared it on the gallery and it's literally called "Build Issues for Nick <3" (note the encouraging heart!). I used a mod free, cc free save to share this and if the lot on the gallery is not enough, I can additionally send you the save.

Note that the clipping stair railings cannot be seen from all angles and it depends if you're viewing the 1st, 2nd or 3rd level of this build. Obviously it's best to look at it with walls up. I added arrows to help draw the eye where the clipping can be seen since it's not visible from all angles. It's the new Courtyard Oasis railing and the Jungle Adventures railing that are causing issues.

10-18-21_10-34-12 PM.png

You can also see how Stairs placed against interior wall cause exterior trim to disappear  and that the trim will come on the inside like so:

10-18-21_11-22-48 PM.png

This one is my personal nemesis since I can't make the kind of Halloween builds as I'd like because the steam/bubble emitters work incorrectly. I used colour coding next to the pools to help draw the attention: the ones marked with pink are supposed to emit steam and the ones marked with blue are supposed to emit bubbles, according to the object description (and also how I remember them working before Wink ). As you can see in this image taken in live mode, the emitter (on the right, with red pool trim) that's supposed to produce steam only, is making bubbles too:

10-18-21_11-21-52 PM.png

The build also includes that foundation/platform issue with disappearing flooring that seems to be happening always or nearly always with rounded pieces.

I also added in that Get famous llama fence where you can see that the llama heads always face the same direction whereas I think they used to face outward before. As seen here:

10-18-21_10-33-54 PM.png

And lastly, there's this newer issue with Platform edge rendered in front of roof wall that is demoed in this build too.

Alright, phew, that took a while but I hope this was helpful. As a mostly builder simmer, I'd love to see some build bugs fixed too in the near future! (Ugh now I wish I added the one about City living Illuminating pillars not lighting up! We desperately need those for cyberpunk and nightclub builds! Devil )

Message 8 of 17 (4,335 Views)

★★★ Novice

That was an amazing rundown!! I came here bc I’m still having issues with the railings popping through windows. It’s disappointing to see that they haven’t fixed a lot of issues.

Message 9 of 17 (4,222 Views)

★★ Pro
@RainbowLinings Thanks! Standard smile
Message 10 of 17 (4,184 Views)