by Quien80946

Original Post

[OPEN] Sims not going to school/work and reappearing instead

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All EPs, all GPs except vampires, just missing 5 stuff packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure. It happens on my household that has been going on for 20 generations and has a big, busy lot.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims go to work or school, disappear in the rabbit role, and reappear a few seconds later. Also the 'school/work in an hour' message appears late most of the time. I have to tell them to go again, and they are usually late.
What do you expect to see? Sims going to work/school on time and staying there!
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

It doesn't happen all the time, but as soon as I have more than 2 Sims going to school or work at the same time, it happens at least half the time, even with a smaller household of 5. It happens when volunteering too... typically only half the Sims actually make it.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 13 of 61 (6,013 Views)

[TROUBLESHOOT] Sim Returns Home When Not Supposed To

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions, all game packs, and all stuff packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Wait for sim to go to work/school on their own.
What happens when the bug occurs? When the task of going to work/school is in the queue, it may cancel when sim is in mid-travel, causing them to return home like nothing happened.
What do you expect to see? If sim has to go to work/school, they should go to work/school.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This doesn't happen often, but sometimes sims will be in the process of leaving to go to work/school, just to turn around and return home like they "forgot" what they were doing. This may cause them to be late and in some cases, I've had to spam-click the icon to get them to go to work/school again because the task will cancel out in the queue again. Again, this is extremely rare, but it's annoying nonetheless when it does happen. Just remembered: I see this happen way more often with apartment-living sims.

Message 1 of 61 (5,963 Views)

Re: Sim Returns Home When Not Supposed To

Hero

HI @Quien80946

do you have a save where this happens reproducibly ? There was someone else with this issue but repairing the game helped them get it solved.

Could you try monitoring them when they go to school to see if anything is interrupting ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 61 (5,951 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hi @crinrict,

To be honest, I kind of do and kind of don't have a save for this issue. I still have a save where this problem has happened, but it only happened once or twice. When I get a chance to play again, I can try and see if I can trigger this again somehow. It might be caused by cramming too many tasks in the queue before going to work/school; for example, I have seen this happen if, say, I clicked on a toilet but at the same time, the go to work/school thing happens. Even though the sim was supposed to go to the bathroom first, the go to work/school task took precedents but immediately was switched with "use toilet" when the sim got into the elevator. So it's like the sim technically did was it was supposed to do but not completely.

Again, this is so rare, it's hard to pin point how/why it happens. Even the example was an instance of it happening, but that only happened once. A different time, the sim created its own task that caused it to come home suddenly; its sleep need was super low, go to work was in the queue, sim reached the elevator, then a second later was climbing into bed. This was on a different save.

I have seen this problem before and after repairing the game.

Message 3 of 61 (5,922 Views)

Hero

Hi @Quien80946

did you have this occur again ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 61 (5,878 Views)

★ Guide

Hi @crinrict,

Sorry, haven't had time to test it yet. I'll be able to test it in a couple of days and I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 61 (5,861 Views)

★ Guide

Hi @crinrict,

Sorry for the delayed response. I sort of managed to have it happen again (sim was going to school, left the house, immediately turned back around and started messing with their puppy). And actually, I'm having more issues with sims not doing what is assigned in their queue now. Lately, I've had to use the resetSim cheat a lot all of a sudden because it's like my sims are getting stuck/confused/overloaded; I'll assign them a few things and it takes them like 1-2 real time minutes before they even react. They'll just stand still while the clock ticks away. I failed a special event because the sims wouldn't move but the event was still going.

Also, I noticed more issues with beds. Either the sim will randomly stand on top of it, or when going to bed, it's like it double-tasks which causes the sim to stand next to the bed and not sleep. The bed icon will stay stuck in the queue, causing me to have to use the resetSim cheat to get rid of it because the sim freaks out. These issues are happening frequently and it's getting frustrating.

Side note question: I got a new computer, uploaded Origin and Sims 4, but I don't have my current files on that computer. Do I just copy the folder from my old computer, zip it, somehow send it to myself, and put it onto my new computer? Or do I have to start a totally new game, losing all the work I put into this game?

Message 6 of 61 (5,817 Views)

Hero

You can just zip them and move them over.

Could you also upload them somewhere and PM the link to your saves  so I can try if I can dupe ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 61 (5,813 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@crinrict,

Can do. Zip the entire "Electronic Arts" folder? Or "The Sims 4" folder inside it?

Edit: Nevermind. Zipping either folder would result in the same outcome.

Message 8 of 61 (5,784 Views)

★ Guide

And sent.

Message 9 of 61 (5,757 Views)