Sims going through obstacles

by Kluskotoo

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Sim walking through walls and objects (Patch 1.61)

★ Guide

No, it doesn't matter whether you have bb.moveobjects on or not; this happens for everything. There is a new behavior, though. They'll kind of stop in front of an object in their way and stutter-step until they can get around or through an object. That includes other Sims, walls, stairs, furniture, etc.  Also funny but annoying!

Message 41 of 56 (1,062 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Not sure if this fits here, if not feel free to put it elsewhere. Recently I noticed that sims grab food through walls. First I saw it once when I clicked on the hunger bar of my sim, she would go to the neighboring room and from there pick the food which was placed behind the wall in the room next to it. It went so fast that I wasn't sure if my observation was correct. However in my current game I have a toddler room which is locked for kids and teenagers. When I click the hunger bar of the kids, they walk to the wall of the toddler room where the food is, kneel down (!) and reach with their hand through the wall to get the food from there. I then placed the toddler food in the middle of the room. The kids still did the same thing. Kneel down next to the wall, move their hand through the wall and magically draw one serving from the locked room.

*Edit: Forgot to mention: There is enough freely accessible food in the kitchen. They just choose the food which is nearest, no matter if the room is locked.

Message 42 of 56 (1,030 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

For anyone experiencing this issue, could you possibly share a save file with me where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much!

Instructions for sharing your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 43 of 56 (988 Views)

Champion

I've got this really badly in my game on a property in del Sol Valley which was called The Ward Den. I'm on console (Xbox series S) so can't share saves.

I've renovated this house completely on 3 or 4 different saves and never had this problem. I've moved in a new famous Sim and added a basement floor which I've done before. I just changed to this Sim from a Sim in Glimmerbrook where it wasn't as bad. In this house, this Sim and her miniature poodle are completely ignoring walls. For example, the kitchen is on the left hand side of the property, the house is raised by a deck. The poodle steps through the kitchen wall to go potty on the grass to the left. The puddle forms up inside the house on the kitchen floor. I usually send the Sim to the Wishing Well after breakfast, she goes straight through the large kitchen island, the wall, the dining set, another interior wall, an exterior wall, an outdoor lounge set, a column, ignores the steps down to the lawn then arrives at the Wishing Well. If I send her to her bedroom, she doesn't walk around to the bottom of the stairs, instead she floats over the top of the basement staircase to get to the stairs leading upstairs. They take every route as we say here "as the crow flies" but as if there are no walls or furniture in their way even forgetting to use steps and just levitating into the house. 

It's one of the many issues which were made worse by cottage living but it wasn't as bad as this. I've recently added paranormal and eco living but eco living isn't yet installed. My game then crashed on saving but I've already reported crashing about a million times so that wasn't a surprise.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 44 of 56 (916 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Happens to my save as well.

A lot.

it's getting annoying and kinda game breaking. Fixing the clipping issues didn't mean make them able to go through objects.

It happens on any lot no matter the size, doesn't matter what packs are installed.

Mods, no mod. No difference.

This game is such a bugfest it's not fun to play anymore.

Message 45 of 56 (850 Views)

Champion

I've had to leave this lot, The Ward Den and tried a house in Oasis Springs where it didn't happen.

The Ward Den was so bad the poodle was sleeping inside the marble accent table. I couldn't figure out why I could never find him. My Sim had to shout for him to get out of the table.

I rebuilt the walls but it didn't work and got worse after children arrived. They were all just ignoring all walls and solid objects. To go to school, they'd walk through the wall next to the steps up to the house and sort of float to the pavement.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 46 of 56 (822 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sim walking through walls and objects (Patch 1.61)

★ Guide
I am amazed this "Needs Saves" like.... have you ever played this game before? Open up your game and play it for a few hours. Obviously happens more with more Sims, more walls, and more objects.
This happens SO CONSTANTLY I'm pretty sure its just a feature at this point.
Message 47 of 56 (755 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sim walking through walls and objects (Patch 1.61)

★ Guide
@KatastrophicSim I've been playing this game since The Sims 1 and have thousands of hours logged. It's not a feature; it's a bug. When I first got The Sims 4, it didn't do that at all. I also used to be a software developer, and trust me, they released a patch that broke this functionality. That happens when there aren't proper QA procedures to catch that sort of thing before it's released to the public. They just don't feel like fixing what they broke. Plain and simple.
Message 48 of 56 (708 Views)

Re: Sim talking through walls

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Here I am in 2022 having the same issue of Sims walking through walls. I didn't notice an issue until this last patch. Anyone else having this issue still/again?

I also just downloaded

Weddings

Backyard

Cottage

Interior Designer

And I removed almost all of my CC because of the patch update.

Message 49 of 56 (662 Views)

Sims going through obstacles

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Polski
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.91.205.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Dream Home Decorator, Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I don't know what is causing it (read more below)
What happens when the bug occurs? My sims started to go through walls. I tried to move them to a different lot and then get back to the previous one by saving the household and home in the gallery. Then after I load the saved lot. I grabbed my pet and travel anywhere. After getting back, they start going through walls and stuff again. Clearing cache doesn't work, starting a new game with presaved household and lot doesn't work as well, and fixing the game on origin doesn't work either. It only occurs when I travel with my pets and/or when the game crashes. I also created a new game file with new family, I pasted the old lot. The bug still occurs under the same circumstances.
What do you expect to see? Sims not going through walls
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Message 50 of 56 (549 Views)