[FIXED] Sim stuck at work/school (Patch 1.63.133/1.25)

by DJ_Strage

Original Post

Teen Sim's Icon is Grayed Out

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.64.84.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? University, Island, Famous, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Outdoor, Spa, Dine, Jungle, Strangerville, Magic, Tiny Living, Toddler Stuff, Bowling, Romantic Garden, Patio, Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Teenager sim cannot go to high school
What happens when the bug occurs? SIm's icon is grayed out like they're already at school, but the sim is on home lot. No access to inventory. Not able to organize a meeting, Sim is leader of their group.
What do you expect to see? Sim's icon should not be grayed out "at school" if sim is at home. Should have access to inventory. Should be able to organize a meeting being the group leader.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've tried debugging the Sim, resetting the Sim, sending him home early from school, traveling to different locations, and moving the Sim out of the house. Nothing has worked so far.

Message 81 of 146 (1,648 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Teen sim stuck at school but are home and cannot play them

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict 

Hello, if you would have actually opened and tried out the game save file, you would see there is no option to "Leave early," when she's at work. See the attached image. Are you able to test it? What is the status of this issue?

It may be possible for you to try out the household, if I upload her household to the Gallery. That might help you test her without needing my Save file. The glitch still happened with her when I saved her to my gallery and imported her household into a different world, as I'd said.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: So, I used Careers.remove_career oddJob for my Sim's odd job, but as my post suggests, my main issue is that my Sim gets stuck at work. (She also gets stuck at her odd job, as you will see during gameplay, but I didn't know about that before reporting this game save file.) Just use the Careers.remove_career oddJob cheat in my provided save file from my earlier comment, and the glitch will still ensue when she attends her real job.

Message 82 of 146 (1,653 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@sketchur I'm sorry that I don't have time to test everyone save. I do this in my spare time and I only test saves I asked for.

I didn't see any mention in your post of it not being available so I thought I'd ask (I might have missed the reference though)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 83 of 146 (1,605 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict Hi, you are correct — I didn't think to mention it in my original post, but that's a great point! Is EA aware of this ongoing issue?
Message 84 of 146 (1,572 Views)

Re: Bug: Sim didn't come home from work

★★ Novice

I tried all the tips you gave, I even tried to quit my job and it didn't work! I don't understand what is happening, someone who can help me, please!

Message 85 of 146 (1,562 Views)

Re: Bug: Sim didn't come home from work

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I think we are simply stuck for now. My SIM is a high school student and got greyed out like he was at school but is at home. I aged him up and now he is no longer greyed out but the icon for "Study Hard" is there and won't go away so all University computer options don't work because it still thinks he's a teen in high school. Very frustrating. 

Message 86 of 146 (1,496 Views)

Sim is "at work" even though she's at home

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Platform:Mac
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? - City Living - Cats and Dogs - Seasons - Get Famous - Discover University - Dine Out - Parenthood - Realm of Magic - Vintage Glamour - Luxury Party
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to work
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims is stuck in "work mode" even though she is no longer at work.
What do you expect to see? She should clear her at-work status when she comes home
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Ok, there's an existing thread about this but none of the fixes worked for me.

My sim (entertainment career) got stuck in "work mode" even after she left work. I could still do pretty much everything (hang around the house, go out to the bars, etc) but I could NOT go back to work, because I guess the game thought she was already there. This bug happened right after a special career moment (she gave an encore and got "discovered" by a talent scout, leveling up in her career). It seems like she just came home right after that, even though her shift wasn't over. That might have something to do with the bug?

I tried "Leaving work early" but that did nothing (cuz she wasn't actually at work maybe?)

I tried switching to another household, no dice.

I tried traveling to other locations, having my OTHER sim travel to new locations, and none of that worked.

I tried restarting the game and Origin; that did not work. 

I eventually had to quit my job to get her at-work status to clear. Luckily I was able to pick up in the career where I left off, but a bit annoying still.

I have no mods and the following extras:

- City Living

- Cats and Dogs

- Seasons

- Get Famous

- Discover University

- Dine Out

- Parenthood

- Realm of Magic

- Vintage Glamour

- Luxury Party

Message 87 of 146 (1,476 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sim stuck at work/school (Patch 1.63.133/1.25)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Really hope this is the right place to post this..

I found out yesterday a situation that will trigger my sim getting stuck at work (greyed out) every single time (100%) in my game:

I have had 2 different sims in 2 different saves who have been enrolled in university and at the same time working in the entertainer career and when there comes any pop up that came with Get Famous (eg. choose A or B, you will gain fame or your life will continue unchanged) and you choose the option that is affecting your career/fame they always get stuck.

I have not found any way to work around this bug, though some of the following have helped with some other "greyed-out-though-at-home"-situations: travelling, leave early, resetting sim, restarting, repairing game etc. have all been useless.

The only "working workaround" is to save the household, delete the bugged household and start anew - which I would rather not do as you lose all relationships, household funds etc. as well.

I have all released content installed and current game version is 1.65.70.1220.

Playing on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4.

Really hope this will get some attention and a fix. Until that time, hope someone sees this post and can avoid the bug - for me at least if you choose the option that will not affect your sim's life, they wont get stuck.

Message 88 of 146 (1,390 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Sim stuck at work/school (Patch 1.63.133/1.25)

★★ Novice

This exact same thing happened to me yesterday!  Sim at University got 'stuck' after he finished because the option to go to graduation never came up.  I *cheated* to get him his degree, then moved him out and got him a job.  When the 'Get Famous' pop up happened, he took the option to get fame, and since then he is 'at work' even though he's home.  He does not go to work when it's time, and none of the cheats listed here work to get him out of it (although I haven't tried saving/deleting the household).  I don't want to delete him, as he's part of a legacy family and it took forever to get him through college.  Sigh...

Message 89 of 146 (1,350 Views)

Sim stuck in 'at work' status when not at work

★★★★ Novice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure. It seems possibly related to taking odd jobs when you have a day job.
What happens when the bug occurs? My character gets stuck as being "at work" even though they are clearly not. It stays that way through travel, even after quitting my job and cancelling the stuck odd job. This happened to me on a prior character also. I have deleted every mod that I had, as well as uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and done 'repair'. It's really ruined my abililty to enjoy the game at all, for the past month++ that it's been happening to me on a wide variety of characters, every new save game, etc. debugging the sim also does nothing to fix it.
What do you expect to see? I expect the character to only show 'at work' when they are at work, and otherwise they should appear normal and I should be able to center on them when I click their portrait. I can't even look at their inventory because it says they are 'not here'.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.

See screen shot attached

Message 90 of 146 (1,359 Views)