[BY DESIGN] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitting

by DorteVL

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitting

Community Manager (retired)

Could anyone experiencing this issue possibly share a save file with me? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks for the help!

Instructions for sending me your save:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 11 of 42 (1,166 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitti

★★★ Novice

I was having a similar issue in my game. After reading these suggestions, I removed everything from the surface (desk) other than the computer and found my issue resolved. It seems one of the clutter objects I had placed on the desk using bb.moveobjects on was preventing my sim from interacting with the computer.

I hope this helps anyone else having the same issue.

Message 12 of 42 (1,087 Views)

sims won' t use computer unless I click to sit first

★★★★ Apprentice

On just 1 of my four lots in my save none of my sims at this lot will use the computers unless I have them sit first. I've tried replacing the desk, computer, and chair.  Also relocating the desk, computer, and chair. The other active lots in this save are not having this issue. The troublesome lot is a new build though. I have had this issue before several months ago with a diff sim and lot. When I moved that sim the issue followed them (same furnishings). Problem did not cease with that sim until I moved them into lot of another family. I have a friend that plays the sims and they are having this issue as well. They also know more about the game than I do, I am quite new to the sims. They too are stumped and also in a new build.

Message 13 of 42 (1,066 Views)

Re: sims won' t use computer unless I click to sit first

Hero
@whymelani Do you have clutter/stuff on your desk other than the computer ?

If so, could you try if it helps removing that ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 42 (1,054 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thank you for the response. I did go into build mode to look at the footprint of the computer and made sure the clutter items were out of the way. That didn't make a diff.  I did try a Tiny Living desk with no clutter and the cheapest office chair. After one time successfully using the computer with only clicking the computer, sim refused to use it again. It's like it has cooties or something. I am not on my Windows PC right now. But if I get other troubleshooting tips I will test them later tonight. My friend has this same issue and has replaced all items and moved to another lot. The issue remains.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

Message 15 of 42 (1,051 Views)

Hero
@whymelani Merging your post with the bug report on this then.

Could you send your save to Nick as requested here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Sim-cancel-computer-interactions-Only-use-while/m-...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 42 (1,047 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitti

★ Apprentice

I "me too"-ed the post. When this occurs, as others said, it's usually due to objects placed on the desktop, although it's often clutter objects placed "legally" (without moveObjects on). I've also noticed it occurs a lot more when using a table for your desk compared to an in-game "desk."

Message 17 of 42 (938 Views)

Computers not working when placed on platforms?

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020 64 bit
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them. All kits as well.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place a desk or table with a computer on a platform and send a sim to do a task on it.
What happens when the bug occurs? When attempting to use the computer, the task completely drops from the queue or doesn't make it to the queue in the first place.
What do you expect to see? The sim will go to the computer and complete the task
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This is a new one for me. I'm currently working on a new save with absolutely no mods at all and I've not been using any sims except for one for testing. I just added a new one and I gave her a conservationist career and when the first task came up to research conservation, I could not get her to complete the task. It would either fall out of the queue completely or it wouldn't even make it there in the first place. There was no route failure reaction nor was anything placed strangely other than the table was on a platform.  I tried sending her to a different computer in a different location and the reaction was the same. I couldn't get anything to work. I then noticed that in both locations I tried, the desks were not on the ground floor. One was on a platform and one was on the second floor of the building. 

I was finally able to get the computer to work when I moved the desk out onto the front yard. This is weird because this has never been an issue before. I just did a repair a couple days ago when I had a crash. 

Message 18 of 42 (959 Views)

Re: Computers not working when placed on platforms?

Hero
@Keijra Does it work if the Sim sits down first and then uses the computer ? Any clutter/stuff on the desk ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 19 of 42 (945 Views)

Re: Computers not working when placed on platforms?

★ Guide

No clutter on the desk or table. 

It does seem to work if the sim sits down first before I ask the to perform the task. 

Message 20 of 42 (919 Views)