Re: Sims Unable to Use Computers/Laptops (Unless Manually Seated)

by Arekkino

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[BY DESIGN] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitting

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Dansk
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Get famous, cats and dogs and parenthood
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Some sims will not sit down at the computer if I tell them to do something on the computer. So If I tell them to play games on the computer, they will cancel the interaction. But if I make them sit at the desk and then queue up the interaction on the computer they will do it.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims cancel the computer interaction if they do not already sit at the desk
What do you expect to see? Sims not cancelling computer interactions.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Hi 

First time posting, so hope I explained it alright. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 42 (7,569 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitti

Community Manager

Hey all,

This thread has been closed as this is currently functioning as designed by The Sims team.

If you feel this was in error, please create a new thread here with as much information as you can provide. Thank you!  

solaire.png

View in thread

Message 42 of 42 (1,135 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sim cancel computer interactions

Hero
@DorteVL Do does Sims have anything in common ? Does it matter which computer/house ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 42 (7,534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

i remember we talked about this very recently in another topic. i have this also when i directly click on any Computer. it works when i first click on the seat infront of it to 'sit' and then some interaction with the Computer. 

Message 3 of 42 (7,532 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@crinrict Hi Crin, sorry for the late reply. I got hit with the error 134. So I haven't been able to test it a lot for you. But from memory I often use the expensive computer (the one with the green/yellow or orange Keyport), also I use both desk and 1 tile dining table. I mostly use normal dining chairs.
I know this is probably not specific enough. I will try and collect from my different households when I can actually play the game again.
Message 4 of 42 (7,462 Views)

Hero
@DorteVL If you test a new save (you should be able to play a new save although Error might hit again anyways), does it happen there too ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 42 (7,444 Views)

Sims Unable to Use Computers/Laptops (Unless Manually Seated)

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1210
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except My First Pet Stuff, Spooky Stuff Pack, and Vampires Game Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place a computer or laptop on a desk/surface w/ a chair in the appropriate slot. Select an option on the computer that requires your sim to sit and use it
What happens when the bug occurs? The action just disappears. For them to use the computer I have to make them sit, and once they're seated THEN choose an action.
What do you expect to see? Sims being able to use a computer/laptop without having to micro-manage their movements.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've tried on all surfaces, but it happens every time.. Hope it's something that can be fixed soon 

Message 6 of 42 (7,482 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

There's another thread somewhere but could you try below if that helps ? 

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Also: Are you locking computers for others ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 42 (7,448 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@lamebabe I had this happen to me several times now too. I think it depends on what you have placed on the surface your computer is on. For example: if you place an object that is one tile or bigger next to a computer your Sim will cancel the interaction unless you tell them to sit down in front of the computer first. If you place an object that is smaller than a tile your Sim will automatically use the computer. It also depends on where you place objects on a table. Despite most being one tile big you can place them at the edge of a table such as clutter objects or desk lamps. In my builds I make sure that there is basically next to nothing placed on my tables to make my Sims sit down in front of them without canceling the interaction.
Message 8 of 42 (7,396 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sim cancel computer interactions/ Only use while already sitti

★ Guide
@DorteVL I’m experiencing this, as well, on console. It began happening to me suddenly towards the beginning of this year. I’m unsure what prompted it, but @Arekkino ‘s suggestion sounds relevant to the household in which I first encountered it & gives me an idea for troubleshooting. It can be frustrating since I habitually select the computer without opting to make the sim sit in the chair first, then I notice too late that my sim dropped the action from their queue.
Message 9 of 42 (7,345 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I think this might be some of the problems. I have now tried to replicate the problem, but am not able after I take everything off the computer desk. So thank you for the tip and I will look out if I can make it happen even with out clutter. 

Message 10 of 42 (7,307 Views)