Re: [OPEN] Sim Unable to (Finish) Writing Book

by SimGuruNick

Original Post

Re: Sims Not resuming old books made/started on old computer.

★★★ Apprentice

Hello,

happens to me too. But not allways, therefore hard to reproduce.

What I observed it happens to books that are nearly finished.

For me it looks like a comparision and or rounding error

at the end of the writing of the book when comparing the progress.

Message 41 of 93 (2,004 Views)

Cant resume writing a book

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Sims 4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, city living, eco friendly, university, dine out , get to work, cooking stuff, luxury stuff, vampire.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Clicking on resuming writing a book on a computer
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims rarely continues writing and 99% stops in 2 seconds and the action circle wont go away ever unless I restart the whole game.
What do you expect to see? That the action circle would atleast be gone after I cancel it, and for the sim to keep on writing ANY book
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

The sims constantly chooses to do something else “specially browsing books or reading a book”

Message 42 of 93 (1,980 Views)

Sim not able to resume writing

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? ?
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and dogs, city living, discover university, eco lifestyle, get famous, get to work, get together, island living, seasons, snowy escape, dine out, jungle adventure, outdoor retreat, parenthood, realm of magic, spa day, strangerville, vampires, paranormal
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I had a sim she was writing a book. After installing paranormal now I try to resume and she sits at the computer and the icon disappears
What happens when the bug occurs? See above
What do you expect to see? I expect to see my sim sit down at the desk and start writing.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Paranormal addition

Edit By Crinrict: Fixed Duplicate Template 

Message 43 of 93 (1,951 Views)

Re: Sim not able to resume writing

★★★★ Pro

I cannot duplicate this, but this may be some kind of general issue after the the latest patch - I have similar problems with feeding the dog.

Message 44 of 93 (1,933 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Aramiteus Thank you. I've tried resetting the comp, and selling and buying new, and I took off my mods. Nothing helps. It isn't super important right now I just wanted to give my sim something to do to get a bit more money on her time off but it will be frustrating when I want to play an actual writer.
Message 45 of 93 (1,897 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

For anyone still experiencing this issue, could you possibly share a save file with me where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much!

Instructions for sending me your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 46 of 93 (1,872 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just posting to rank up and let you know that I'm about to PM you because I'm otherwise out of ideas and it's pretty depressing after the amount of fun I've had on other Sims games to finally cave in and buy Sims 4 and some expansions and it be a buggy mess. No point making a report, it's the same problem everyone else is having, can't finish a book that's started on any computer in any mood or any rebought or inventoried pc's or any of that. 

Message 47 of 93 (1,775 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Started happening only recently (not sure whether or not after a certain patch though). After resuming writing, sometimes, not always, the progress bar is near at the end and suddenly quits. Resuming doesn't work from that point on as it interrupts always at the end. However scrapping the book does cut the never ending circle and the Sim is able to start writing a new book. I shall add that my Sim is not enrolled in a career in any way, just trying to acquire the Bestselling Author Aspiration.

Edited: I also noticed that my Sim, who owns 2 computers (no CC, no mods, used from the very beginning of my save with no upgrading: The Regulation Station and the UoG X19 Athena Laptop) is occasionally behaving strangely when I click on the laptop in order to resume writing (which results in having the glitch described above). Instead of using the laptop in front of him, he walks all the way to the other desktop computer located in a different room. Again, not sure if this happened earlier, just noticed recently.

Message 48 of 93 (1,762 Views)

Sim won't resume writing book

★ Novice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.76.81.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EPs all except Snowy Escape. GPs all except Journey to Batuu. SPs all except Moschino, Bowling Night, Movie Hangout, Spooky, and Luxury Party.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure besides me sharing my save file with you, but I don't know how to do that.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I tell my sim to resume writing her book, she sits down at the desk and then the writing task immediately disappears from her queue.
What do you expect to see? Sim should resume writing the book.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've tried selling the computer and buying a new one, but she still won't resume writing the book. She can use the computer for all other tasks, but she won't write. I've checked the other threads that are similar to my issue, but the latest information was from 2019 or it wasn't the exact issue I am having.

Message 49 of 93 (1,748 Views)

Re: Sim won't resume writing book

Hero
@Mariahhhsmiles I merged your post with the current thread on this. Could you send your save to Nick as asked here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Sim-Unable-to-Finish-Writing-Book/m-p/10090486#M17...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 50 of 93 (1,677 Views)