Re: Series X: Game failed to save Error Code:0

by Psychotps

Original Post

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Well, I think I figured out the problem. Only took me a few minutes.

It only appears to happen in Live mode. Neighborhood mode seems to work fine.

When you save the game, it creates a temporary file "Slot_0000002e.save.tmp"

But it can't seem to change the name back to it's normal name "Slot_0000002e.save"

I think the "intended" process is this... When the user saves the game, it saves in a TMP file, the game saves it as ".tmp", then checks and verifies the save is good. If so, it deletes the original and renames the TMP file to the original name.

In live mode it saves as "Slot_0000002e.save.tmp" but then I think it tried to rename it to "Slot_0000002e.save" but doesn't delete the original. But it can't rename the TMP file to the original name because that file already exists. Thus, Error.

If you save and look at the file list, you see "Slot_0000002e.save" and "Slot_0000002e.save.tmp:".  If you save, Error 0. If you delete "Slot_0000002e.save", it renames the tmp file properly because the original file is gone.

The saves aren't getting corrupted, it just isn't deleting the original file before it attempts to rename the TMP file to the original name.

TLDR;

To save the game, just SAVE, let it error, then delete the original file and save again. For me, it works every time.

Message 101 of 421 (2,366 Views)

Re: Save Code Error: 0 (Windows)

★★★ Newbie

Hey, I am also getting the error codes and I have windows, i started getting these codes after MWS. Idk what a tmp file is. Its only in my one save I am getting these codes but its my main one

Message 102 of 421 (2,341 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Save Code Error: 0

★ Novice

I'm on PC through Origin. Playing in English and the bug happens every time. I do have all the packs.

I am having the same issue saving. I have tried repairing game, and "save as". I usually get this error code.  If I save and I don't get the error code, no changes that I made are saved.

Message 103 of 421 (2,340 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried what @Psychotps wrote and can confirm that when the game saves with the error, it creates a .tmp file that acts as a normal save when renaming it to remove the ".tmp" suffix.

The regular, non-broken savegames do not create a .tmp file upon saving.

So basically, the saves aren't getting corrupted and are saving normally, just under the wrong name for some reason. 

Maybe others can test ths too, I think we can ignore the error when saving and rename the Slot_000000xx.save.tmp file to Slot_000000xx.save after closing the game to acces the save again.

Message 104 of 421 (1,915 Views)

Re: Saving Error: 0

★★★ Novice

I am having the same problem. I’m on the xbox one. I have tried everything to try to fix this issue! First it was the makeup glitch (which still isn’t fixed) and now it’s error code 0. This sucks

Message 105 of 421 (1,906 Views)

Re: Saving Error: 0

★★★ Newbie

Came searching for this reason. I have the new pack was fine then but since the patch I have been having save problems error code 0. Started last night for me when I was playing and again today. Pointless playing til it’s resolved. Also no mods or cc used 

Message 106 of 421 (1,879 Views)

★ Novice

I checked my save files and mine did not create a save.tmp file.  It created a regular save file but when I go into the game none of the changes I made have been saved.

I have a .save and a .save.ver0

Message 107 of 421 (1,877 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Xbox One Crashing + Won’t Save

★★★ Newbie

Have you been able to fix this issue?!? I recently got Cats and Dogs and this started happening. I keep seeing a big, white llama in places and when I try and save it's says failed to save and when I go back into the game the whole entire household/ save is gone. I'm ready to request a refund for the hundreds I've put into this if I can no longer play. I deleted and reinstalled the games and packs, did all this shutting down and back on...nothing helps 

Message 108 of 421 (1,837 Views)

Re: Save Code Error: 0 (MAC)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello I'm new here, still trying to figure out how it all works but I recently bought Cats and Dogs and Cottage Living and all of a sudden I'm having issues saving and opening games. All of the household's/ businesses I've worked on the last year are gone. I did the power cycle thing, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the latest packs and still. Any suggestions??

I play on an XBox one so all the talk about files is confusing lol I see most people use PC.  I do not have the wedding pack, I just got Cats and Dogs, Get to Work and Cottage Living for XBOX and this is the same thing happening to me. I try to go to a home for the home decorator job and it won't save the before/ after pics a llama will pop up in every pictures place. There was a huge llama on the screen when I was trying to travel as well. All progress I've made is gone because I kept trying to open different saves and one by one this happened to them. 

Same here. Is it still doing it??

Message 109 of 421 (2,035 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks dawg you da man

Message 110 of 421 (2,001 Views)