[NEEDS SAVES] Plants always die before even blooming

by Taaya

Original Post

Re: Gardening bug, plants keep dying

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Saskia2993  Ahh I see. Maybe it wasn't the mod at all, then, and just the fact that I started a clean save and have (so far) managed to luck out with this particular save?

I know there are always a lot of bugs to work out with every new DLC, but Cottage Living seems especially buggy to me. :/

Message 51 of 125 (2,434 Views)

Re: Gardening bug, plants keep dying

★★★ Apprentice

I'd say for anyone who's wondering if it could be caused by their gardening mods then definitely try taking them out and playing without them for a bit. Even if they're fully updated.
The problem defintiely seems to be with the game, but perhaps is somehow also 'triggered' by mods. I fixed mine by removing a gardening mod. It's possible this can help other people too. However I suspect the problem has more triggers than just mods because it's affecting all types of games, even ones with no mods at all.

If your game works fine right now then don't worry about your gardening mods cos they're not actually the cause of this; they just get a bit tangled up in it somehow.

Message 52 of 125 (2,403 Views)

Re: Plants keep dying for no reason

★★ Novice

I also have this problem even when i remove all my mods. I have seen several people on the Sims 4 subreddit talking about the same bug https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/opzmli/plants_keep_dying/

Message 53 of 125 (2,786 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I installed Cottage living, played two different households I created, flawlessly with all my mods in place. I actually enjoyed playing the game with new things I was interested in. I purchased the Sprinkler 2001 to automate the water routines. Then, poof, plants started browning, emitting green vapor, only options were to uproot plant. Leave one plant soon the entire lot of plants were dead. The thing I noticed was my BILL INFORMATION on the mailbox showed -987 in water usage! and a bill into the 5 digits. Deleted all plants, all water using items. Went down to one bathroom, one sink, one toilet, no dishwasher, or other appliances. played for 7 days Sim time. Water bill remained between -989 and -964 and climbed higher with near zero water usage. Paid bill, water usage stayed insane. One 30 x 20 lot. NO PLANTS NO TREES NO SHRUBS, just a box with a roof, bed, bathroom, stove and table and chairs and one bored sim. All good until I planted one Basil herb, all the same results, water usage insane, watered the one Basil plant one time, it sprouted, a stick, it leafed to brown, only choice available uproot plant. All subsequent new games and replaying old games result in mass die off of all plants and extreme water usage. I burned a 64 x 64 lot to the ground and let it burn. Shoot, I started the fire in order to sterilize the ground and remove the blight, didn't work. 

It is NOT a MOD!!! I have completely uninstalled my game. I have removed all Sims related folders. I have removed all mods. I have reinstalled the entire game - the ENTIRE set - complete set. The same thing occurs. I plant a seed. It sprouts and appears dead at the moment it comes out of the ground. NO MODS, NO CHEATS. FRESH INSTALL. I just uninstalled the SIMS 4 completely. I have uninstalled Origin completely. I have searched my PC for all sims related folders and files. Windows 10, 3.8 GHZ Octa core, 18 Gig Ram, 4 TB of Hard Drive available, Windows 10 fully upgraded. I have scanned my PC for virus/infections etc. none found. Trying to get Origin to stop slamming the installs and just let me install one at a time so I can test each pack, instead it slams Fit Kit, Dust Kit, Kitchen Kit, and won't stop. It installs The Sims 4 Legacy after doing between 8 and 24 other packs first. I could do more if I can get Origin to stop the Auto Slam of installs in miscellaneous order.

Message 54 of 125 (2,747 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Bonde005 @Trehpike

There's several issues and currently separate issues are kept separate although they can be very similar. Do you have the weeds every day ? That's what this threads is about as the dying already has their own threads.

Here's a few threads.
- https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Can-t-water-plants/td-p/10029533
- https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Plants-always-die-before-even-blooming/td-p/10283837

Is this what you're seeing ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 55 of 125 (2,724 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Some have weeds others don't. I plant 6 sage plants, a block away from each other. One in plain dirt, One in a small planter, one in a pot, one in a large planter, one in a cottage living "plot" sage, one in a covered large planter. Water each once, each sprouts a dead stick, it may or may not allow a harvest, never can water it again, sometimes it emits green vapor, then says dispose, sometimes they have weeds, I NEVER see bugs. Every single attempt, and there has been dozens of attempts, results with the same thing. Weeds appear randomly on this one or that one, all have had weeds, all have gone without weeds, Plant one gets weeds, Plant two does not, next time Plant one doesn't get weeds and Plant two does get weeds, etc randomly for all 6 plants grown at the same time. I have reversed the order they are planted in plant 1-6 or plant 6-1. I have placed them left to right, top to bottom in angle to the sun. I have 3 Rabbit stumps giving me around 12 rabbits. The Rabbits hit the weeds as soon as they show up. I have three Bird trees, birds everywhere, I never see them doing anything except playing around. I never see bugs. I removed the birds still no bugs anywhere. I have turned off rain/snow and have no weeds but the plants still go from seed-sprout a dead stick-remove dead plant. I have used cheats to make it constant rain still get the same effect. Puddles everywhere. 3 Sim-days' time=dead. Turned off seasons, removed seasons, removed snowy escape, eliminated seasonal possible, Put the entire lot in a green house, sealed up. Same results 6 sage plants, 6 apple trees, 6 rose plants, 6 bluebells, 6 chrysanthemums, 6 strawberries, and others. All the same. Yet, Garlic grows and base game mushrooms grow. Cottage living "crops" grow but never grow beyond small or medium in size. Lettuce has died and same with Ambergene. All Cottage living mushrooms grow but never achieve more than a 2-mushroom harvest in any conditions, sheltered or not sheltered. Plants in the various world appear, rarely with blooms, and can only be viewed and never harvested. I have tried in all worlds. I have a 64 x 64 lot in Brindleton Bay that I made as a grow farm. Approximately 250 plants and a full 8 family staff to water, harvest, weed, spray, etc, that I have played for over a year with EVERY plant in the game. All 8 have worked through the Gardening/Botanist career completely. Five of them have become 4 and/or 5 star celebrities in the Botanist career, having written how to books and articles. Since this problem began, I visited that lot that hasn't been played for about 3 months and nearly all plants have reverted to dirt mounds in the ground leaving only about 20 plants still growing and they are sickly at best, brown and scraggly. Where, prior to this Blight, the entire lot would have been filled with plants in various stages and rarely dead or dying. I have run that lot from Christmas to Christmas plus 7 months (19 MONTHS total) in REAL time and never had a problem with any mods or updates. I installed Cottage living, played happily for 1 week, then the blight struck. I began researching it on various forums and websites and you tube and reedit I had 3 lots running in Cottage living and dozens more in other worlds. I have read the symptoms and problems, in my entire game of all my lots and worlds I have seen the same symptoms and problems, I have experimented in all worlds, I have seen the same thing in all worlds. I have put in over 80 hours of real time checking, testing, reading. At which point I uninstalled it all, reinstalled the game 4 times in total and immediately had the same problem, each time. Uninstalled Origins. Reinstalled ONE TIME and cleared the que of Origins disorderly way of downloading this one or that one and installed them in order of Sims 4 first, Expansions second, game packs third, stuff packs forth and kits last. Except I installed Cottage Living LAST this time since that is when it all went bad. I tested my game each and every time. Growing 6 plants of random types from seed to harvest to watering cycles. I had weeds Which I removed, bugs that I sprayed, Heat waves, thunderstorms, rampant dogs, cats, children. Not one dead plant. I let plants dry out in heat waves, watered them and they came back fine. I let it thunderstorm for 3 days straight, weeded the area, everything was fine. I burned a Grill to the ground right next to my apple tree, tree even caught fire before I put it out, no problem.  I installed Cottage living and have played 4 hours, no problem. Still testing at this point to see if it comes back. Put in some of the main BIG mods MCCC and a couple others. Still no problem. Slowly adding clothing and makeup and miscellaneous at this point. Installed things like the Spa Day Spa building, the Haunted house, Restaurant, etc, things that came with Sim 4 game.  I have not installed any downloaded lots or build/buy items. Just incidental CC stuff. Now, back to my game, I hope this satisfies your curiosities. I have not visited aliens yet, I have never and probably will never Journey to Disney... er uhm, Batu (Only bought it "keeping up with the Simsies" Yes, I get the "travel to batu" hype daily when I play my game) and I have not visited any of the Vacation worlds yet at this time. I don't grow plants in vacation worlds. (Derp? "I'm on vacation!!") (I don't visit Sulani much either, they seem to be an angry people, and bring me down, I get enough of that in daily life)

Message 56 of 125 (2,697 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

And after a full day of playing after reinstalling Origin and the Entire sims game set. FAIL!!! It is now obvious that they have done this on purpose. Plants last the one season they are allotted, then die. Must wait until the next season for that plant to come around, uproot all your hard work, replant, harvest once or twice, repeat. Uproot, replant, harvest, uproot... After the season for that plant it is over. Putting them in a green house is no longer an option. The plants WILL DIE. You will have to do it all over again. Really can't even use the old planters again. The soil is rendered dead. The plants need to be placed in a new planter with new soil. even if you use the lot trait "great" soil. all the land gets a grayish ash like appearance and will no longer support life. Yep, Brawndo, its what plants crave. Idiocracy at it's finest. Doesn't matter what world your in, seasons active or not active. Rain, snow or shine. The plants will die. The land will die. so much for my favorite game play. Like someone doesn't want to continue Sims 4. How do you stop it? Kill the game. Make way for sims 5.

Message 57 of 125 (2,664 Views)

Plants die after patch/Cottage Living

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Dansk
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.146.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just plant a seed and watch the plant die before it even grows. I have been unable to grow plants since the latest update and/or Cottage Living.
What happens when the bug occurs? Plants die immediatly or within a short span of time. None of them grows into living plants.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to grow and harvest plants as usual.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Latest Sims 4 patch and/or Cottage Living

As it is now, I have stopped playing the game - having played Cottage Living for only one frustrating hour. It's so disappointing. As many others, I have looked forward to the new pack and now a central part of gameplay is not working.

I didn't even get to any of the other new features because I was stuck trying to grow plants that continued to die.

Message 58 of 125 (2,235 Views)

Re: Plants die after patch/Cottage Living

★ Apprentice

I updated my gardening mods and most of them work fine now. One or two still play up, but I can use the gardening cheat with the shift and click option on each plant that can with a little fiddling about fix them too, but I am in no way gonna buy the cottage update or any other Sims add-on until they fix this. It's a total mess and cannot simply be blamed on CC.

Message 59 of 125 (2,138 Views)

Re: Plants keep dying for no reason/weed/bugs every day

★ Novice

I've had this exact problem. I uninstall ALL of my mods, and it still happens. Tried with a new save in a different world (it was happening in Sulani in a green house AND outdoor plants) and plant new plants and everything - still happens. It takes my sims from 7am - 6pm (sim hours) to get the garden back to health only for the bugs and weeds and dehydration back to ALL plants just hours after they finished!! Two of my most commonly played saves are based on gardening - including Cottage Living. CL is basically unplayable now if I want to do any kind of gardening for the Simple Living lot challenge. 

Message 60 of 125 (2,596 Views)