by Bluebellflora

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Issue with placing stairs in a basement when raising foundation

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I own and have all of the pack,stuff and expansions for the game.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a room big enough for stairs to be placed. Once done, build a basement below that and then raise the foundation up. I tend to raise it up to 4 just for a ref. Once done build stairs so they go from the basement to the main floor. With that done. You can easily use the fence tool to cross it over the stair top on the main floor to delete the space behind the stairs. I do this all the time in second floor to the first floor to look over the first floor. It works on the 3rd and 4th floor. It also has in the past worked on the basement to mainfloor. Once you delete behind the fencing 'floor' so you can overlook the basement it causes the issue.
What happens when the bug occurs? The ground raises to meet the foundation height on the outside and on the inside where you had deleted the 'flooring' from behind the fencing to make it look like a balcony overlay. It used to work 100% fine till the small patch update before the Eco update.
What do you expect to see? The floor where the ground shows on the inside of the building should vanish so you can see the basement. So it is like a balcony overlay. Along with the ground not leveling up to how high the foundation is.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

So I have played the game for years and I've never used mods/CC and I still don't want to ever use mods. I've noticed after the short small update before Eco got released that is when this surfaced for having a basement. It needs to be fixed immediately.

I have repaired my game 5 times, checked for updates around 10 times though I know that wasn't needed. I have checked it on multiple game saved files. Multiple 'worlds' along with tons of lots. I have made a video to show what it does.

I made a youtube video to show exactly what it does EVERY time. I've tried basically every stair formation along with other loaded game files. Still the same issue.

Video of the glitch 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 6 of 24 (6,088 Views)

Broken Foundation/Terrain

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

When ever I go to put a basement in my sims house, I get this-

Randomly found this in my sims bathroom-

Ever since the update and even the update to fix hotpatche from that update! HUGE issues!!

Message 1 of 24 (6,118 Views)

Re: Broken Foundation/Terrain

Champion

@Elithian87 

Do you have Mods or CC (or have you ever had them)? If you do please remove them in this process and try the troubleshooting as described below. (If you don't have Mods or CC, just skip the part about removing the Mods folder, but still delete the cache file mentioned and run the repair.) If you ever had Mods or CC in the past then do the steps as if you have them currently (removing the Mods folder), as there could be damage that has remained after you removed them.

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

If it was Mods/CC: If this fixes the issue I would recommend that you check with the Mod and CC creators to see if there are any known issues with their Mod/CC clashing with the recent update and if so do they have an updated Mod/CC that will address the changes in the game's code from the update. You can then re-add your updated Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old Resource.cfg file from the old mods folder, as it’s possible for it to have become corrupted.

If you have a lot of Mods or CC you can do so by via the 50/50 method. Let me know if you need directions on this.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 24 (6,062 Views)

Broken terrain!!!!

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

When I have a foundation and I want to put in stairs to a basement. It causes a huge issue where I can't place stairs without the foundation being broken. This has been there since Eco and up mini update before it.If you add a remove the flooring/ceiling from the fenced part is the huge issues! PLEASE Fix this ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

06-14-20_5-28-09 AM.png06-14-20_5-37-05 AM.png

Message 3 of 24 (5,952 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I don't use mods 1 bit. I'm actually not a fan of them one bit. I'm repaired my game and it still caused the issue. It is clearly a bug in my book. I'll repair my game a few times and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't fix it after probably the 5th repair then you need to fix this ASAP. Please try this yourself though in your game. I feel it is an actual bug since the tiny update before Eco release. I own all packs.

Message 4 of 24 (6,034 Views)

@Elithian87

Haven't seen any other reports of this. Could you upload the lot? I'd love to see that wonky floor tile next to the staircase and play around with it.

The white thing under the vases looks like a glitched shadow of sorts or maybe a puddle.

Could you also please post a screenshot of your in-game graphics options?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 24 (6,018 Views)

★ Apprentice

The game had an update and the bug is still there I dd as requested and uploaded a lot to show the problem of a main floor to basement bug report, To find me on the gallery look up Elithian87 and the name of the lot is Oakenstead. Its the 50 by 50 lot but it does it to every lot. It is just the stair issue ONLY the stair issue!Graphics.PNG07-25-20_12-08-33 AM.png

Message 7 of 24 (5,807 Views)

Raised foundation doesn't allow stairs into open basement.

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a regular room and a basement underneath. Raise the foundation. Create fenced-off room inside the ground floor room and remove the floor, then remove the basement ceiling to make the area open to the basement. Try placing stairs to the ground floor (or ladder) within the fenced off area so the top of them leads to the ground floor.
What happens when the bug occurs? The error message "Incompatible with Terrain Constraint Block" appears and the stairs can't be placed. Also, while the foundation appears intact from the outside, it's invisible/see-through from the inside.
What do you expect to see? The stairs to connect the basement with the ground floor. And the foundation to be solid.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Adding pics of the issue: 

I have an open space into the basement, which required not only removed floor of the fenced off area but also removed basement ceiling. While the ground floor is level with terrain, I can place stairs from the basement leading up to it (as well as a ladder). On the right you can see stairs placed with no open area. 

08-17-20_12_43_26 PM.png

When I raise the foundation: 

The ladder works fine, the stairs on the right work fine, but the stairs within the open area get deleted and cannot be placed again. 

08-17-20_12_43_35 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 12.29.00.png

This happens in all the area, not just next to the outside wall. 

Also, with the foundation up, on the outside wall it disappears when the area is fenced off as below. 

08-17-20_12_28_24 PM.png

I have tried this with multiple foundations, even flat ones that shouldn't be in the way of the stairs. The ladder works as expected but the stairs do not. 

Message 8 of 24 (5,862 Views)

Re: Raised foundation doesn't allow stairs into open basement.

Hero

@simmyfroggy 

I took a look at this in a test build and got the same thing to happen.  The error I got when I tried placing the stairs was Incompatible with Terrain Constraint Block.  Ladders worked fine but stairs wouldn't.  So I agree with you that it is either a bug or a design oversight since it does work if the first level is flat to the ground.  It should work if the foundation is raised too.  

What I found really odd was that I could place a stair from the basement that ran through the hole in the floor to the 2nd level above the basement but not from the basement to the 1st level.  So I can build a 2 story stair but not a 1 story stair from the basement.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 24 (5,807 Views)

Re: Raised foundation doesn't allow stairs into open basement.

★ Guide
@CGrant56 Thanks for checking it out.
On one hand, I'm glad it's not just me. On the other hand, hopefully this will get fixed at some point as it's rather annoying.
Message 10 of 24 (5,779 Views)